Profile for Dh Jayaraja > Reviews

Content by Dh Jayaraja

Dh Jayaraja (London, England)

Super-Tough Clear SmartGel Case Cover for Apple iPad 2 / iPad 3 Compatible with Genuine Apple Smart Cover (All versions Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + 3G/4G - 16GB 32GB 64GB) (Smart Cover not included)
Offered by Modern-Tech

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply excellent! Quality product, great price., 17 April 2012
I was a bit cautious about this product as it was so much cheaper than the other comparable products. My partner had bought her protective cover for nearly £20 and was suggesting I bought the same. I am glad I didn't, this looks much better and is 1/4 of the price, it was delivered with two days. I imagine when she sees this one she will want one the same. Unlike her protective backing this clear backing largely retains the stylish look of the Ipad. Some other reviewers commented that fitting the cover was difficult. I didn't find it so, quite the reverse, sung yet easy to fit on the ipad 3. Brilliant!

Capital Gold Motown Classics
Capital Gold Motown Classics

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensively fantastic, 30 Sept. 2011
I have just received this CD, and I can hardly believe how good it is. So many brilliant songs, the quality of sound is great, the selection of tracks excellent, the sequence of songs inspired, the mix and richness of the music is a delight. An absolutely outstanding collection.

Snow Falling On Cedars [DVD] [2000]
Snow Falling On Cedars [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Ethan Hawke

5.0 out of 5 stars A fittingly beautiful name., 5 Sept. 2011
The film is set in post war America exploring love and loss, prejudice, truth, justice, forgiveness and integrity. The film is beautifully shot, the acting is first class and the story deeply engaging weaving memories and present time together.

Samba Goal - Powered By R10
Samba Goal - Powered By R10

3.0 out of 5 stars I prefer his football, 31 Oct. 2009
I love Brazilian music and like listening to energetic samba before I play however there weren't many tracks that I liked, I much prefer the cd compilations on football by Jorge Ben Jor and Musica de futebol.

Barack Obama: Dreams from My Father (A Story of Race and Inheritance)
Barack Obama: Dreams from My Father (A Story of Race and Inheritance)
by Barack Obama

5.0 out of 5 stars The best political memoir since the Long Walk to Freedom, 8 Feb. 2009
I was torn between 4 and 5 stars, I'll leave it at 5 because I can't do 4 1/2. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, I thought it was very well written in an engaging style, with an openness, intelligence and kindly observation of people which reminded me of Primo Levi's If This be a Man. I was moved and inspired on finishing the book hoping that he is able to bring his many qualities which include modesty to bear on the challenge of governing the most powerful country in the world. Definitely worth reading.

The Spiral Staircase
The Spiral Staircase
by Karen Armstrong

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential spirituality, 31 May 2008
This review is from: The Spiral Staircase (Paperback)
I recently gave my copy of this book away, I was reluctant to but seeing the pain and confusion in my recipients life I thought it would help him as he struggles to discover an essential spirituality after losing his faith in Christianity. I am delighted to see that it has, which led me to want to once again have this book as part of my library. Looking on Amazon I was sad and surprised to see that it didn't have straight 5 star reviews. I guess we all have different tastes. I have read the final chapter several times it is engaging and lucid in outlining the nature of the spiritual life. It is really the final chapter that I would like to have not as part of my library but part of my consciousness. Karen doesn't set out to write definitions but her open heartedness and clear intelligence facilitates an understanding of what is essential to the true spiritual life as opposed to a religious life. I will include a short quote which I hope gives you a sense of her writing.
"Hyam Maccoby had given me a clue six years earlier, when we sat together, eating egg and tomato sandwiches in the little café near Finchley Central tube station. He had told me that in most traditions, faith was not about belief but about practice. Religion is not about accepting twenty impossible propositions before breakfast, but about doing things that change you. It is a moral aesthetic, an ethical alchemy. If you behave in a certain way, you will be transformed. The myths and laws of religion are not true because they conform to some metaphysical, scientific or historical reality but because they are life-enhancing. They tell you how human nature functions, but you will not discover their truth unless you apply these myths and doctrines to your own life and put them into practice. The myths of the hero, for example, are not meant to give us historical information about Prometheus or Achilles - or for that matter Jesus or the Buddha. Their purpose is to compel us to act in such a way that we reveal our own heroic potential."
(Karen Armstrong, Spiral Staircase pg 304.)
I hope this review has been helpful.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 13, 2015 9:20 PM BST

What Makes You Not a Buddhist
What Makes You Not a Buddhist
by Jamyang Khyentse

5.0 out of 5 stars Engagingly straight forward Buddhism., 19 April 2007
I really enjoyed reading this book. Dzongsar Khyentse has a very engaging writing style he manages to be humourous, and clear in making the Buddha's teaching relevant to modern life. I hope the book gets printed in paper back as it is quite expensive at around 130 pages. It is difficult for me to comment on how it might be recieved by those new to Buddhism but my guess is people will enjoy his style and reflect on the Buddha's teachings and the relevance to their lives and the state of the planet.

A Language Older Than Words
A Language Older Than Words
by Derrick Jensen

4.0 out of 5 stars A Gift of the truth and hope, 31 Mar. 2007
I feel a bit mean giving this book 4 stars probably 4 3/4 would be more accurate. Derrick Jensen is an excellent writer and story teller. The book does what it says on the cover it is both deeply distressing and inspiring at the same time, remarkable. I guess he manages to do both by looking at the truth and writing about it with honesty and openness. I finished it inspired, humbled and longing to be more aware, sensitive and alive to myself and life, the moon and stars, the cat greeting me in the street, the sadly neglected plant in the bathroom. Definitely worth reading.

Blue
Blue
Offered by Bridge_Records

5.0 out of 5 stars A true classic, 24 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Blue (Audio CD)
An amazing album, excellent quality sound. The songs are beautifully sung with great acoustic music with moving poetic lyrics. Hearing it I felt impelled to listen to other albums of hers they are good but don't quite match the brilliance of this one. I didn't want the album to end I wished it also had Big Yellow Taxi on it. Then that would have been near perfect.

The Eden Project: In Search of the Magical Other - Jungian Perspective on Relationship (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts)
by James Hollis

5.0 out of 5 stars Why intimate relationships are difficult but very important relationships, 18 July 2006
An excellent book on the dynamics involved in intimate relationships. I know of none better. It is not a simple new age idea kind of book but a pithy and eloquent elucidation of the nature of projection and the importance of relationships in our attempts to grow. His summary of the four principles of relationships is worth reading and re-reading until it sinks in. A mature person's look at relationships and relating. Brilliant!