Profile for Amanda > Reviews

Content by Amanda

Amanda (London)

Page: 1 | 2
The Kincaids: Southern Seduction: Sex, Lies and the Southern Belle / The Kincaids: Jack and Nikki, Part 1 / What Happens in Charleston... / The ... and Nikki, Part 2 (Dynasties: The Kincaids)
by Kathie DeNosky
Price: 6.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Do not be put off by the covers!, 23 May 2013
There are three books in this series, each containing 2 stories relating to the Kincaid family. First of all I'd say read them in the right order since there is an ongoing story that starts in book 1 and finishes in book 6. And then I have to ask who chose the models for the front cover? They look incredibly gormless, but don't let that put you off the stories are good and its worth persevering to the end.

Champagne Summer: At the Argentinean Billionaire's Bidding / Powerful Italian, Penniless Housekeeper (Mills & Boon Special Releases)
by India Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly deep, 23 May 2013
This book is divided into two unconnected stories. The first one I could take or leave. It was a bit far fetched but entertaining. The second was much more impactful. Its the story of a single mother and her relationship with an Italian film director. Not much causes me to have to hold back the tears but this tale has a lot to pull the heartstrings. It is suprisingly deep and covers feelings of inadequacy, superficiality, yearning for something you cannot have, and of course its set in Tuscany, what more could you want. A strong recommendation from me (to read Sarah's story at least!).

Gabriel's Inferno: 1 (Gabriel 1)
Gabriel's Inferno: 1 (Gabriel 1)
by Sylvain Reynard
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Gabriel is a bit of creep, but still a compelling read, 15 Jan 2013
Read these books (Gabriel's Inferno and Gabriel's Rapture) over the Christmas holidays. I was pleased that I had nothing much else to do cos I was hooked. I wouldn't say they are better than Fifty or Bared to You, although they are similar, but I would say these books have a creepiness that is way different to either. And the source of creep is probably 80% Gabriel and 10% Julianne/Julia (I wasn't sure what her real name was!), and 10% Sylvain Reynard (the author) who is some sort of anonymous mystery figure. I definitely recommend that you try them but whether you'll enjoy Gabriel is not a given. He could be the sort of intense person you avoid in social gatherings. Am keen to read number 3 just to see whether the creepiness continues...

Taking Shots
Taking Shots
by Toni Aleo
Price: 16.85

1.0 out of 5 stars How can anyone read this book?, 15 Jan 2013
This review is from: Taking Shots (Paperback)
And I'm not talking about the content, but its sheer size!! The book arrived a few days ago courtesy of Amazon and I came home from work to see the package propped up against the kitchen window - because postie couldn't get it through the letter box! For a minute I thought I'd ordered the Guiness Book of Records or a Car Manual by mistake - it is that big and heavy! I worry for the joints in my arms and hands! Why would someone self-publish in such a mammoth size?? Am perplexed...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2013 1:11 PM GMT

Wind Over Tide
Wind Over Tide
by H M Bradshaw
Price: 8.47

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!, 11 Jun 2012
This review is from: Wind Over Tide (Paperback)
Immerse yourself in a world long gone and enjoy the sense of community that used to exist via this great book focussed on a Northern family just after the war. There are multiple characters to in turn empathise with, dislike, admire and laugh with. One of the most heart-warming books I've ever read, but not without some heart-break too.

Innocence Protected: Mercenary's Woman / The Winter Soldier / The Last Mercenary (Mills & Boon Special Releases)
by Diana Palmer

1.0 out of 5 stars Check before you buy!, 16 May 2010
I made the mistake of buying this book assuming that it was new material - it isn't. The book contains three previously published books, all related to the mercenary's in Jacobsville, Texas. I was disappointed as you can imagine. Books included are Mercenary's Woman, The Winter Soldier, and The Last Mercenary. All good books, but around 10 years old.

The Love of Her Life
The Love of Her Life
by Harriet Evans
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars An obvious ending, but entertaining, 4 July 2008
This review is from: The Love of Her Life (Paperback)
I sort of guessed the reason why the lead character had quit London for New York three years earlier, but not all the ramifications of 'the day that changed all their lives', so I was quite pleased that the whole thing wasn't completely obvious. You'll find the heroine a bit wet and the guy she dithers about for years, a bit too perfect - but other than that you'll probably enjoy the experience of reading this book. I'd say it's not as good as 'Hopeless Romantic' which I loved, but better than 'Coming Home'. A good summer read - nothing too heavy, but not entirely 'boy meets girl' either.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 31, 2008 12:41 PM BST

Tell Me Something
Tell Me Something
by Adele Parks
Price: 2.53

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as thught provoking as Parks's other books, 3 July 2008
This review is from: Tell Me Something (Hardcover)
Adele Parks writes really entertaining books - of that there is no doubt. But they usually have a grittier under-belly of social conscience as well. This one, although v entertaining, was more chick lit than the others I felt. That said she really gets into the head of Elizabeth and her 'beyond everything' desire for kids, but it feels more superficial (or at least it did to me). In short, yes you will be entertained, no you probably won't be caused to think too much - and worse case, the simpering Elizabeth could really get on your nerves. This isn't the strongest of Adele Parks books, but it's better than lots of others in this genre.

Chasing Harry Winston
Chasing Harry Winston
by Lauren Weisberger
Price: 5.51

2.0 out of 5 stars Really disappointing, 19 Jun 2008
This review is from: Chasing Harry Winston (Paperback)
After reading Everyone Worth Knowing I thought Lauren Weisberger was quite a good chick lit writer - even though I was incredibly bored by The Devil Wears Prada (both book and film). Having now read Chasing Harry Winston I realise Everyone Worth Knowing is an abberration - either than or this woman can only write a decent book every other time she tries it. The idea is a good one - but this book just doesn't deliver. The Brazilian character - Adriana - is an absolute diva who is more Jessica Rabbitt that reality, and incredibly unbelievable. I felt patronised reading about her. The other characters are weak and just on the border of believable. I suppose we can always hope that book #4 is more Everyone Worth Knowing and less like the other two? We can only wait and see...

Odd Mom Out
Odd Mom Out
by Jane Porter
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A real find!, 14 May 2008
This review is from: Odd Mom Out (Paperback)
A great read - fabulous, escapist hero (he's a billionaire!) and a not-too-annoying heroine. Marta is a ad agency owner (so a bit of a ball breaker) who's had a child using donor sperm (a really gutsy lady) who meets the local mega-wealthy hottie. I really got in to the story - it's a modern day Cinderella after all. I found Marta a bit righteous, and I couldn't understand the motorcycle thing, but all of that aside this is a lovely, warm and funny story. Apparently Jane Porter's next book is about one of the competitive moms that Marta actively antagonises - which sounds interesting because the character in question wasn't that sympathetic. Read this one first, though, you'll love it.

Page: 1 | 2