Profile for Undermanager > Reviews

Content by Undermanager

Undermanager (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon)
The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon)
by Dan Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Very okay., 7 Aug 2014
This is okay at the start but quickly becomes tedious, annoying and very hard work. There are long question and answer sessions and explanations between the characters at dramatic moments, where characters have no time to lose. The plot seems to unfold in a day but by the end of the book after a week, I was losing the will to read. I felt like I'd run a marathon and needed time to recover.

Tenvis JPT3815W Wireless IP Wi-Fi Network IR Night Vision Monitor CCTV Security Camera - Black
Offered by ELEPHAS TRADE

1.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended., 21 July 2014
Do not buy this if you are not technically inclined with computer hardware. This is not a plug-n-play camera so be prepared! I liked the camera initially when I took it out of the box but it took an afternoon of tinkering, hunting on the Internet and banging my head on the table to get it set up so it could be used with wireless. I failed however to get it working remotely across the Internet, which is why I bought it. Port forwarding can be problematic to set up with this camera and you are relying on the Tenvis DDNS server working, which it wasn't when I set the camera up. I had to go looking for other DDNS providers but still had problems. If you just need to plug it in to watch a baby or the front door, you might be happy, although the power cable is only about a meter long and the socket extension lead that is STILL advertised on this website as bought with the camera is the wrong size - and I informed Amazon about this over a week ago! Very poor documentation, especially for remote use.

Personally, I wouldn't buy it and don't recommend it. Mine is being returned.

Lenovo Yoga11s 11.6-inch Laptop (Silver) - Grey (Intel Core i3 3229Y 1.4GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, WLAN, BT, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8)

3.0 out of 5 stars A good laptop but not perfect, 16 Jan 2014
I needed a portable and light laptop and the Yoga 11S with an i3 processor fitted the bill. I bought the orange one, and it looked great, although the extra £80 compare to the identical silver one is a lot just for a colour! The machine boots up very quickly, in less than 10 seconds (Google Chromebooks should be worried, as this is their major selling point). It's quiet, has a perfect keyboard and screen and feels like quality. The touchpad is excellent and there are enough ports. Although 128GB hard drives are advertised, you actually get about 70GB, the rest being consumed by Windows and the incredible amount of bloatware Lenovo ship the laptop with. Get the bigger 256 GB one if you have the option and money. The different positions for the screen and keyboard are nice and have some uses but it's too big and heavy to be a tablet to be held in one hand. As a laptop, it's good. The battery seems to be around 6 hours for general surfing and watching a few YouTube videos. The touch screen is very responsive and really helps using the laptop. I didn't realise that Chrome on the Yoga 11S didn't seem to pinch and zoom so had had to go back to Explorer. That brought its own problems; I had to spent more time trying to get rid of Lenovo's Explorer settings - not easy! Then there are issues with Explorer, which kept crashing when browsing in laptop mode and when you are in laptop mode but convert it to tablet mode, Explorer also froze.

You can get a free update to Windows 8.1 but it took me an *entire day* to do: research upgrading a Yoga 11S first and take note of the excellent advice on updating (1 hour), update Windows 8 drivers first (3 hours), download and install Windows 8.1 (3 hours), download and install the extra drivers (1 hour), fault find why audio didn't work and try lots of solutions (4 hours), remove Lenovo's bloatware, (2 hours), investigate why Explorer kept crashing (not solved).

UPDATE: I would not buy this machine again. It's too much hassle and too many things make it an unpleasant experience. I wanted a laptop I could turn on and use, not one where I would have to spend many hours setting up and even then, had problems with crashing. It has been returned to Amazon. I think with hindsight I should have got a machine with Windows 8.1 installed and properly proven. Before you buy this machine, go to Lenovo's own support forum (Google it) and read about it from people who have bought it. That way, you can make an informed decision.

De'Longhi HS20/2 Convector Heater, 2kW
De'Longhi HS20/2 Convector Heater, 2kW
Offered by Bargain Genie UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 22 Dec 2013
Plug it in and the heat comes out! Very quiet, heats the room quickly and the thermostat keeps the room from getting too hot. I bought it as I spend a lot of the time in just one room and putting the central heating on was becoming a waste. Highly recommended.

TeckNet® Ultrathin(4mm) Universal Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard Aluminium Alloy with Built-in Stand for iOS (iPad Air, iPad Mini 2, iPad 2 / 3 / 4), Windows and Android tablets and mobile phones
Offered by BlueByte Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the iPad 3, 21 Sep 2012
This is a perfect keyboard for my iPad, combined with a fully adjustable viewing angle iPad stand I bought as well for just over £5.00. It's quite small but easy to type, slips into my laptop bag easily, and connects to the iPad in seconds. All you do is put two batteries in, switch Bluetooth on on your iPad, press the button at the back of the keyboard to make it discoverable and the type in the PIN that the iPad generates. It's plastic but seems reasonably well made. Highly recommended.

Portable Fold-Up Stand for Apple iPad, Galaxy Tab, Playbook, Xoom, Toshiba, Acer, Nook and Other Tablets
Offered by EXCITES

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding product., 21 Sep 2012
I wanted an adjustable iPad stand that was fully adjustable, not adjustable to just one or two positions. This is absolutely perfect. Clever joints mean that you can tilt the iPad to any viewing angle you want. This is brilliant because now I can use it far more naturally to read from, to type into using my Bluetooth keyboard and to browse. I do not get why so many stands are fixed to one or two "perfect" viewing angles because they are not perfect for me at all. This stand is also great for reading from my Kindle, as the width is fully adjustable, too. I highly recommend this product and for about a fiver, you can't go wrong.

Koolertron Cordless Handheld Scanner 600 DPI Resolution - Easy to instantly scan and digitize anything
Offered by Kldeals

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value!, 20 Sep 2012
Arrived within 3 days. This scanner is fabulous for the money! I've been playing with it today, scanning old photos in for facebook and scanning pages of books. It's nice and small, fits easily into my laptop bag, the instructions are now in English, clear and it goes up to 900 dpi. The supplied software is fine on my PC but is much more temperamental on my laptop and needs to be reconnected frequently. It effortlessly converts scanned images into text and imports it automatically into Word if you tick that option. Highly recommended.

Confessions of a Bangkok Private Eye: True Stories from the Case Files of Warren Olson
by Warren Olson

4.0 out of 5 stars Should be compulsory for single males visiting Thailand for the first time., 8 Dec 2011
I bought this book a whim, having lived in Thailand 20 years ago and visited it a few times since. The stories are short and sweet, often very funny and on occassions razor sharp. I thought the last half dozen stories cut deepest. The hopes and dreams that sex tourists have for their holiday prostitute girlfriends is certainly an object of great cynical amusement for the author and so it should be. I liked the book a lot. The stories appear to have all been collected over time; many phrases are repeated again and again. A bit more time spent tidying up the different stories to make them bind into a whole collection a little better would have really helped but I'm not complaining too loudly. I still enjoyed the book.

If you are a single male going to Thailand and you've never been before, for God's sake, read this before you go and take note, before it's too late!

Shanghai: A Brief History
Shanghai: A Brief History

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of time, 28 Oct 2011
When will Amazon allow you to select zero stars? One star is far too many, even if it is free! I downloaded this out of curiosity. It is about 15 pages long (how the previous reviewer took just under 3 hours is hard to believe - it took me less than 10 minutes), a sort of brief set of incoherent rambles on half a dozen unconnected topics that you might get from a not-very-bright 14 year old history pupil. This is not worth the 20 seconds it took to download an view it. What I have noticed on the amazon site is an increasingly large number of 'free' and poor quality offerings from would-be authors. Whilst I am all in favour of the opportunity to do this, it is making finding good quality reading material more difficult.

Head First Java
Head First Java
by Kathy Sierra

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 27 Oct 2011
This review is from: Head First Java (Paperback)
I confess - when I started working through this book, I thought it was just odd. Oddly written and a strange approach. But I carried on and within a week, I found myself really enjoying this book. The style may not be to everyone's taste but it works! Basic concepts are highlighted and repeated. The exercises are manageable and the puzzles challenging. An excellent introduction to Java if you have some programming experience already.

Page: 1 | 2