Profile for Gary Austin > Reviews

Content by Gary Austin

Gary Austin (Derbyshire UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Jack of Spies
Jack of Spies

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and disjointed, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: Jack of Spies (Kindle Edition)
This is the first time I have read this author and will be the last. The story line is plausible but very disjointed. As it moves from China to the USA to Mexico and finally to Europe the plot is forever going in different unconnected directions. I guess the life of a spy in 1914 may well have been similar but it did not result in a good novel. I have read many free books from Amazon which are better than this.

Daisy and the Trouble with Life (Daisy Fiction)
Daisy and the Trouble with Life (Daisy Fiction)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Daisy, 27 Nov 2011
My 7 year old daughter thought that this book was great. She has read it many times and enjoyed it on every read. Her favourite bit is where Daisy lost her welly in the sea when she was fishing for crabs.

The Moghul
The Moghul

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Read, 12 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Moghul (Kindle Edition)
This is the first Thomas Hoover book I have read but it won't be the last. Hoover has clearly researched the period well and his characters have depth and realism. The book is a little long winded in places and could do with better editing. Some scenes change from one paragraph to the next with no spacing to illustrate a change of focus. You just have to bear with it and get used to it.
Overall well worth the effort to read it.

Painting Atmospheric Acrylics
Painting Atmospheric Acrylics
by John Hammond

1.0 out of 5 stars Just a reprint!, 6 Sep 2011
I was very disappointed in this book as it is simply a reprint of John Hammond's 2008 book Free Expression in Acrylics. I enjoyed Mr Hammond's first two books and was looking forward to a 3rd. If you don't have the 2008 version then I would recommend this book as a great source of inspiration for the artist. I have written to the publisher to express my disgust at what I consider to be misleading marketing and I would implore Amazon to make this clear in the product description.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2012 11:59 AM GMT

LEGO City 7635: 4WD with Horse Trailer
LEGO City 7635: 4WD with Horse Trailer

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun, 10 May 2009
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this for my 5 year old daughter as she has just started to play with Lego and I thought that this kit would trigger her imagination. It did as she enjoys giving horse and rider adventures and she tells the story as she plays.

I have had to rebuild the horse box several times for her but then that's lego! The Range Rover has become a cabrioulet as she wants the roof off so that she get the driver in and out! This is a bit complex for a five year old to build but that's OK as Dad enjoyed building it for her!

PIRATE: Buccaneer (Hector Lynch 2)
PIRATE: Buccaneer (Hector Lynch 2)
by Timothy Severin

2.0 out of 5 stars Wot No Plot!, 10 May 2009
The first book in this series, Corsair, was OK but nothing special, I gave it 3 stars in my review. This one I had hoped would add depth to the characters and develop the story of Hector's adventres. Alas it does none if these things. The characters remain as shallow as in Corsair and and the plot is virtually non existent, this is more a narrative of a series of events rather than a story. Once again Mr Severin is historicaly accurate and I credit him for his research but he did not deliver the prime purpose of an author, entertainment!

I don't think I'll be buying Sea Robber.

PIRATE: Corsair
PIRATE: Corsair
by Timothy Severin

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a challenger to Cornwell, 10 May 2009
This review is from: PIRATE: Corsair (Paperback)
I read Tim Severin's Viking trilogy and whilst it it was not brilliant it gave me enough confidence in him to make me try his new Hector Lynch series. My confidence was slightly misplaced, however. This book starts in mediocre fashion and continues in the same vane. The characters are a bit shallow and the plot is bit disjointed.

Having said all that I did learn something as Mr Severin's great strength is his historical accuracy. Before reading this book I had no idea that the shores of Europe were raided so regularly by pirates and that the French were still using galley slaves in the 17th century.

Men of Bronze
Men of Bronze
by Scott Oden

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 16 Mar 2009
This review is from: Men of Bronze (Paperback)
I was really looking forward to this book, I'd had it on the shelf for a couple of months and it jumped the queue over a Manfredi and a Cussler. I should have left it there.
This book has a mediocre plot weak characters and moments of very poor dialogue. I have no objection to historical fiction using contempory language but this one goes to far in places and uses modern idiom completely out of context. In summary I think that Scarrow, Iggulden and Cornwell have nothing to worry about from Mr Oden.

30 Years of Rock - The Greatest Hits
30 Years of Rock - The Greatest Hits

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroly Good!, 22 May 2008
I heard Bad to the Bone on the radio whilst driving in USA and just had to buy some George Thorogood. Hearing the song again for the first time years reminded me of George's fantastic set during Live Aid in 1986. When I put it on in the car I just wondered how I had got by all these years without owning this masterpiece. It's a great mix of rock a blues, like ZZTop with attitude! Buy it, enjoy it and play it loud!

Troy: Fall of Kings (Trojan War Trilogy): 3
Troy: Fall of Kings (Trojan War Trilogy): 3
by David Gemmell
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!, 9 May 2008
This is book, and indeed a trilogy ,that deserves many more than the 5 stars Amazon allow me to award. It is written with a pace, humanity and realism that most authors can only aspire to.

Many of the other reviewers of this book have commented on Mr Gemmell's passing and the major contribution to his legacy of his wife Stella. I can only add that the Mrs Gemmell's contribution links seemlessly with that of her husband and together they have written one the best historical trilogies ever. I was hooked from the first chapter of the first book and stayed there to the end. If you like Cornwell, Iggulden or Scarrow read this, it beats all three hands down.

Page: 1 | 2