Profile for J. Liu > Reviews

Statistical Methods
Statistical Methods
by George W. Snecdecor

5.0 out of 5 stars Really a classic!, 4 Jan 2010
This review is from: Statistical Methods (Hardcover)
If you don't just get skills in statistics but rather fundamental ideas, please buy this book if you can afford it. After your reading, you can always choose it as a standard reference. Even in modern days, the content on ANOVA (both fixed effects and mixed effects models) is not outdated. Also, you can learn some classic discussion on regression. I really appreciate great efforts of both authors on this great books.

The Origin of Species (Classics of World Literature)
The Origin of Species (Classics of World Literature)
by Charles Darwin

5.0 out of 5 stars very good print quality, 22 Jan 2009
I ordered two versions of The Origin of Species. This version is the best of two. However, reader should be notice, this version is the first edition. As you may know, Darwin published six editions in total and final one is the most comprehesive one. However, as editor of this version said, the final edition had too many replies to the questioning from peers, which made the last edition much longer than the initial edition. I think the key ideas in different editions should be similar and I prefer this concise edition-the first edition.
I highly recommend this print by Wordsworth, given that it is the cheapest one with very high quality of print.

Introduction to Genetic Analysis
Introduction to Genetic Analysis
by Anthony J.F. Griffiths

5.0 out of 5 stars a really good introduction, 1 Jun 2008
I am a student from another major (environmental engineering), so I had no any knowledge in genetics previously. After reading 4 chapters and finishing related exercise, I find I gradually gain a sense of genetics. This book is very comprehensive and focusing on main themes at the same time. For important topics, the authors will mention them again and again. I can say, if you read carefully, you can not miss them. At last, I would say the problems at the end of each chapter are really good, which is very helpful for grasping related knowledge.
I would recommend this perfect canon to beginners like me.