Profile for Christine B. > Reviews

Content by Christine B.

Christine B. "ztplum" (Somerset)

The Villa
The Villa
Price: 0.56

5.0 out of 5 stars A most enjoyable read., 19 April 2014
This review is from: The Villa (Kindle Edition)
An interesting and unusual story which I really enjoyed. The characters were sympathetically drawn and believable. Having just finished this book, l have discovered a further book by Rosanna Ley which I have downloaded - I look forward to a good holiday read and hope it will be as enjoyable as The Villa.

Jenny's War
Jenny's War
Price: 2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 21 Oct 2013
This review is from: Jenny's War (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book - a good story and the characters were mostly credible. Just a trifle lightweight in parts,especially the end but it kept me reading to the end. I can recommend this book and I would read more Margaret Dickinson myself.

The Secret Keeper
The Secret Keeper
Price: 3.59

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating read., 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Secret Keeper (Kindle Edition)
I couldn't put this down - fortunately I was on holiday and in a position to indulge myself.
This gave the impression of a complete story at the beginning but then Kate Morton separated the various strands and 're-wove them to return to the beginning but with a surprising and satisfactory ending.
I recommend this book and hope you enjoy it too.

The Last Kashmiri Rose (Joe Sandilands)
The Last Kashmiri Rose (Joe Sandilands)
Price: 0.84

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Read, 9 Sep 2013
I have always enjoyed reading books about India, starting with John Masters` Coromandel,some 50years ago. This is the first I have read by Barbara Cleverly and it surely won`t be the last. An excellent read with believable characters. I hope others will enjoy this as much as I have.

The Detective's Daughter
The Detective's Daughter
Price: 2.09

2.0 out of 5 stars Not an enjoyable read, 21 Aug 2013
This book was recommended to me by someone whose taste l respect and I looked forward to a good story. As it appeared to have a lot in common with the earlier book "A Kind of Vanishing", I decided to read this first. However, I did not enjoy this book,for which I have written a separate review. I then moved on to "The Detectives Daughter" which I felt sure would be more to my taste. Sadly,more disappointment as I found most of the characters too odd, cold and lacking in any empathy. I read to about 25% but found it too depressing to waste any more time on it. I enjoy a good detective story but not this one.

Thursdays in the Park
Thursdays in the Park
Price: 0.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Good start but became rather banal, 28 July 2013
I enjoyed this book for the first few chapters but then it became a bit tedious and overlong. I did read to the end as I wanted to see how the marriage problem would be resolved, hoping it would improve - however not, sadly and I'm afraid I skipped quite a bit on the way. I have never read any Mills & Boon but imagine this may be in that category- disappointing really because I did want to enjoy it. I give it 2 stars for the interesting beginning.

Padders Womens 714 Coast Navy Lace-Up Flats 5 UK, 39 EU
Padders Womens 714 Coast Navy Lace-Up Flats 5 UK, 39 EU
Offered by Marshall Shoes
Price: 59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Found at last!, 20 July 2013
I have been looking for shoes such as this for some 2 years having previously had similar ones and was delighted to find them on this site. I have worn them and they are comfortable - useful for traveling as the laces can be loosened if one's feet swell on a flight and for general walking. Probably this style is best suited to the older lady, which I am, Colour is what I wanted too. The efficiency of the despatch was excellent - ordered Tuesday 2pm and received by Royal Mail daily delivery at 9am on Thursday.

Natural Causes: Inspector McLean Novel 1 (Inspector Mclean Mystery 1)
Natural Causes: Inspector McLean Novel 1 (Inspector Mclean Mystery 1)
Price: 3.66

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing - disappointed reader, 11 July 2013
This book came up as the Kindle daily deal at the same time as l read an article in the Daily Telegraph saying that James Oswald was the next great author in Penguin books. I liked what was written about him and was pleased to buy it at 99p, also recommending it to my daughter-in-law.
I am so disappointed. Apart from the early chapter being too gruesome for my taste (and I enjoy Henning Mankel) I found the characters flat, unconvincing and unsympathetic. I managed to read to Chapter 10 but I have now given up.