Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "Andrew" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
7dayshop R7 Sport Series Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Headphones - Built in Mic - Ideal for use with iPad, iPhone, Tablets, Smartphones, laptops and PC's using VOIP and SKYPE - Black - Eco Packaging & Travel Carry Case Included
Offered by 7dayshop Limited (VAT Registered)
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound; excellent value for money, 8 May 2014
Like many reviewers, I wondered what I would get for the price. I'm generally more of a fan of in-the-ear headphones, but I wanted a bluetooth set for the gym, and the price of these stood out. I'm very happy with the result. They are comfortable to wear (once I got them the right way up, d'oh), and the sound level is excellent - much better than with my wired in-ear headphones. I doubt anyone would describe the sound quality as 'hifi' but given that I'll always be using them in noisy environments (gym, or out and about walking beside busy roads) volume is the most important, and there they score - and with no obvious distortion, etc.

I haven't tried using them to make phone calls. The controls on the side - for changing the track and changing the volume - are inevitably a little awkward (not knowing which is which while you can't see your ear). If you made regular use of them, I'm sure you'd get used to that though.

My only bugbear is that they are charged using a mini-USB - not the micro-USB that is now standard across a huge range of devices. That means having an extra charging cable around the place - which is hardly the end of the world.

GMYLE(R) Black Yellow Wireless Mini Charging Pad Mat Qi-enabled Standard Charger (1000mA) with anti-slip design for Lumia920/ Lumia820/Nexus4 (With Free 2A Power Adapter UK Plug)
Offered by Clever Gadgets
Price: 13.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful: works with Nexus 5, 27 Jan 2014
I nearly bought the Google version, but with postage it came to about 3x the price of this device.

It works really well, and easily - I bought a second one so I can have one at home and one at work! It seems to charge quite quickly - I had trouble getting the Nexus 5 to charge from some power supplies, but there's no problem with this wireless charger. It doesn't get overly warm, either, as some have said this kind of thing tends to.

Netgear GS308-100UKS 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbps Switch
Netgear GS308-100UKS 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbps Switch
Price: 19.94

5.0 out of 5 stars No nonsense switch, 27 Jan 2014
There's not much to say, really. Plug in, switch on. It's a switch. It does the job. It claims the max power consumption is 3.4W, which isn't bad. The power supply probably uses more than that, mind you!

Skintan Mens Leather Classic Motorcycle Trousers Jeans - Black - L31 W34
Skintan Mens Leather Classic Motorcycle Trousers Jeans - Black - L31 W34
Offered by The Leatherbox
Price: 89.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great jeans!, 25 May 2013
Like the other reviewers here, I'm really impressed with these. Good quality leather, well-made, sizing is spot-on. A point to note if you have some muscle: some people said 501-style: that's true, but they're not *quite* so slender in the thighs as 501s.

Delivery was also brilliant: I ordered on Thursday lunchtime, had them in my hands by Friday lunchtime.

TP-Link TD-8840T ADSL2+ Modem Router for Phone Line Connections
TP-Link TD-8840T ADSL2+ Modem Router for Phone Line Connections
Price: 14.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, maybe, 9 May 2013
[edit to review: I bought a much more expensive modem router and got a similar problem, so the issue is almost certainly with the line not the router. That said, this device *is* much less good at holding a connection than my old Netgear DG834. Rating raised from 1* to 3*.]

I regret buying this piece of junk. It proved to be quite unreliable. Maybe I just got a dud - but after trying it for a couple of months it's too late to send it back for a refund, and at this price it's not worth trying a few rounds of replace/repair/refurbish, so it's a write-off. I suppose you get what you pay for.

It was easy enough to set up. The web-based interface has all the controls you could hope for - and a few more, which is actually fairly confusing. Too many options can be a bad thing. If you are not particularly comfortable with networks and configuration, you will certainly be all-at-sea. At first, it seemed fine. The connection was at a good speed, with adequate SNR ratios etc.

Then I started to get slow moments, and the connection seeming to drop. After a couple of weeks of this, I decided to check out the status with my ISP. Early on in their troubleshooter, their diagnostics warned me that my line had been dropping frequently for several days. Then I realized the problem was with my TP-Link and not with their line. I swapped back to my old netgear and everything is stable again.

Some modem routers have a good status log so that you can see what's been going on. This one has a log, but relatively few entries showed up and the messages are obscure - with no direct indication that the line has been dropping. Maybe parameter-tweaking could help make the drop-outs less frequent, but life's too short. So it's going in the bin.

[Whenever I read 1* reviews I wonder whether the writer was simply not familiar enough with the basics to be able to grasp what they were doing wrong. Trust me, that's not the case here. Not that I would blame anyone for being in that situation: consumer electronics *can* be designed to be easy to use and reliable. If they're not, then the purchasers shouldn't be the ones to feel foolish.]

Caveat emptor, I suppose.

Mini Android 4.1 Google TV Box HD IPTV Player Android 4.1 Mini PC Smart Mini Google HD Player 1GB RAM + 4GB ROM - the smallest Android TV player in the world looks like a USB flash drive[New Version in 2013]

4.0 out of 5 stars 30: mainly for amusement value, 16 Nov 2012
This stick does what it says: turns your TV into an Android device. To make use of it, you'll want a wireless keyboard or a USB one with a long cable! I found that the USB socket on my TV provided all the power the stick needed to run.

It's a full Android 4.0 device, and capable of running all the standard apps. (I can't get the Google Gallery App to find my online photos, which is a bit of a shame, but may get fixed I suppose). It's rather short of processor power, which makes things a bit slow, and makes video a bit hit-and-miss. As far as I can see, stuff like YouTube works fine, but iPlayer and 4oD and ITV Player rather overload the thing, being choppy at best and unwatchable most of the time. SkyGo is locked out, of course, by Sky...

I don't doubt that this is the shape of things to come. This particular device isn't quite fast enough for today's apps, which is a shame, but it's a good toy, and a fair price for that.

Wireless IP camera Pan/Tilt 2-ways Audio Mobile Viewing WEP/WPA/WAP2 wireless Wi-Fi Pan/Tilt internet IP camera day and night vision CCTV security monitor built-in microphone and speaker allow you to communicate with people directly support mobile phone viewing
Offered by IP.cam.shop
Price: 30.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Value for money, slightly quirky, 24 July 2012
I've looked at IP Cameras for years, thinking they were a little on the expensive side for a gadget to buy on a whim. At 39, this camera broke this boundary (just about!). I'm pleased to say that I found it to be fair value for money.

The camera is pretty easy to set up. You plug in an ethernet cable, and it gets an address from your DHCP server (that is, your router, in most home set-ups). It comes with software on a CD-ROM to help you to connect to the camera: I'm always a bit cautious about putting random CD-ROMs into my system. If you can find the camera's IP address (e.g. by looking at your router information screens), you don't need to put the CD-ROM anywhere near your computer: just point your web browser to port 81 at that address - so for me it's[...] - and up comes the camera's interface. From there, you can see what the camera sees, and enter the set-up screens, where you can join it to your wireless network and do away with the ethernet cable (I think it won't use the wifi until the cable is actually unplugged). This took just a couple of minutes, and I was up and running.

Turning off the camera overnight appeared to have caused it to forget all of the set-up information - but when I re-connected with the cable, all was fine, and the problem hasn't reoccurred. I'm not sure what happened there.

In use, the pictures are fairly good - though the colours are imperfect. The camera can have up to fifteen preset views - so, depending on where you put it, you could switch between the view of the door, the view of the window, the view of a thermometer, or whatever you like. The interface is a bit clunky, but it works. I was also able to set it up in 'alarm' mode and email me pictures when it detected movement. Night viewing is good - the camera gets a fair picture when the room is entirely dark. I found a great Android app - Net Eye Camera - which readily connects to the camera, and lets you move it around with a swipe of the finger!

Connecting to the camera from outside the house is straightforward IF you know how to set up port-forwarding on your router. The camera's manual won't help you much here, but Google is your friend if you need this sort of information. A static IP address or dynamic DNS entry will help you here, too. Once that is set, connecting from outside is also easy: you won't get full motion video, but more that enough images to see what's going on, and the ability to move the camera around.

The only place where the clunkiness concerns me a little is security - but I'm perhaps over-sensitive about that for reasons I won't go into. There are several things the camera could do better in that department, but all in all a realistic appraisal will probably lead most people to conclude that there's not too much to worry about. There's support for usernames and passwords - and to set the camera so that some can control all the settings, and some can just view. This is done with HTTP authentication, if you know what that is.

All in all, I'm fairly impressed - it could be better, but at the price, it's not bad at all.

Siemens Gigaset CS38H Additional Handset for CS385 Range
Siemens Gigaset CS38H Additional Handset for CS385 Range

5.0 out of 5 stars Super little phone, 7 Jun 2012
I already had a Gigaset N300-IP base station, and wanted an extra phone to use with it. This phone fits the bill wonderfully. It appears very well-constructed, and has a simple-to-use menu system. It paired with the base station with no problem at all. Another reviewer here found problems with setting up the directory - but I was able to download my list of contacts from the base station without difficulty (much easier than typing them in on the phone).

At this price (9.99 at the time of writing) I'm trying to decide how many more to buy - I think I might as well have one in every room of the house!

LightwaveRF Wifi-link for Remote Iphone or Android Mobile Phone Lighting Control
Price: 69.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little product, 30 Dec 2011
This is a well-made little product. It's very easy to plug in and set up. I only bought a lightswitch and double socket to work with it, initially, but now I'm hooked and plan on buying a whole lot more.

Controlling it via an iPhone is easy, apparently, but I use the (superior!!) Android, for which the app is rubbish at present (better app promised). So I'm writing my own app... There's a good amount of information on the lightwaveRF forums.

Bought mine at B&Q for *considerably* less than the price stated here. The same applies to the other components.

Stainless Steel 5/16 in. (8 mm) Thor's Mjollnir (Hammer) Dome Ring (Available in Sizes N to Z+2), Size Z+2

4.0 out of 5 stars quite neat, 10 Dec 2011
This is a nice piece. The 'hammer' comes loose rather readily. It's not going to slip out while it's on your finger, but can do when you take it off. I like to have things in my hands to fiddle with: this certainly fits, and I can fiddle with it for ages!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3