Profile for Mantower > Reviews

La Gargola
La Gargola
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars It grew on me!, 14 April 2014
This review is from: La Gargola (Audio CD)
I am listening to the album as I write this review and I can say that it has hardly been off my player since I bought it. However, at first listen I was underwhelmed, it felt like it was missing that somewhat angular Chevelle sound, the powerful lyrics and musical changeups that made Hats off to the Bull such an epic album. And as I continued playing the album on repeat, it quickly became clear that this is another great Chevelle effort. Suddenly 'Take out the Gunman' leaped out at me as an outstanding anthem, and my favorite song on the album, starting off slowly and building up to a powerful chorus. A few songs later and One Ocean came along and calmed the pace of the album down only to the go loud and fast again with Choking Game. This is followed by my second favorite song of the album, The Damned, which has one of the best lyrics for all the geeks out there when Pete Loefler announces he has decided to join a zombie zoo and is craving a bite. Overall, it is a great album that will dominate my playlist for a while to come, Chevelle sticking to what they do best and doing it so extremely well yet again!

Between the Devil & the Deep Blue Sea
Between the Devil & the Deep Blue Sea

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 8 Jun 2011
I was very excited when I heard that Black Stone Cherry had released a new album and bought it as soon as I could. Having bought the first two albums (and loved them both) I was expecting more of the same - blues tinted heavy rock that is in your face and offers no apologies, foot stomping hard rock fun!

Unfortunately, having listened to this album a good 4-5 times I find that BSC have lost their edge. I remember a few years back I was discussing BSC with a friend and they said that BSC sound 'way too much like Nickelback' which I thought was preposterous at the time, however this album reminds of Nickleback more every time I listen to it. It is radio friendly 'make me lots of money' rock which just doesn't appeal to me. None of the songs get anywhere near the hard rock greatness achieved on their first two efforts; it reeks of an album that was written with the aim of getting mass radio airplay. Nothing wrong with that in essence, the guys gotta make a buck, but it is not my kind of music.

I bought the special edition with 15 tracks but unfortunately none of the songs really grabbed my attention. White Trash Millionaire, the album's opening song, had the same feel as 'Rockstar' by Nickelback, or something Kid Rock would have penned, whereas the lyrics in 'Blame it on the Boom Boom' reminded me of Metallica's Frantic in how disappointed I was with the simplicity of the lyrics (All together now "When I'm giving you the boom boom/Yeah don't wake up in the morning/In somebody else's room room/Blame it on the boom boom" - sounds more like a Britney song).

The songwriting is predictable and the lyrics are, well, basic at best. There don't seem to be the intricacies of previous albums or the lyrical excellence that I enjoyed before. Overall this is an album that will appeal to many people, but I am not one of them. It is a shame really and I hope they will be back to proper hard rock on their next effort.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 31, 2012 1:57 PM BST