Profile for Patrick Jacques > Reviews

Content by Patrick Jacques

Patrick Jacques (Brussels, Belgium)

Affirmations for the Inner Child
Affirmations for the Inner Child
by Rokelle Lerner
Price: 6.39

5.0 out of 5 stars I liked it, 4 Oct 2011
This book lives up to its title. Good buy! I thought, overall, previous reviewers did a pretty good job setting forth what should be expected from this book. I have nothing to add.

When Misery Is Company: End Self-sabotage and Become Content
When Misery Is Company: End Self-sabotage and Become Content
by Anne Katherine
Price: 9.95

3.0 out of 5 stars interesting book, 26 Aug 2011
Although I actually enjoyed it, I don't feel strongly one way or the other about this book. It does a good job describing the concept of self-sabotage, and the grip it can have on its 'victims' but I've since read books which in my view do a better job explaining what self-sabotage is, the purpose it serves, and its root psychological causes. The author seems to be a strong advocate of anti-depressant which is not a view shared by the overwhelming majority of expert in this field, to say the least. In fact, many strongly advice against anti-depressants, which more often than not worsen the depression, have dreadful side effects, and numb the mind, making it very difficult to progress and grow. This is not to say that anti-depressants are never appropriate. I'm told some people would not be able to function without them, but I'm hearing again and again that, unless absolutely necessary, people should stay away from them.
The remedy recommended by the author is, in essence, the AA method (the Self-sabotage addict version). I'm sure she knows what she is talking about, but for some reason, I was not convinced. In my humble view, the AA method, although it is a lot better than nothing, and it allegedly has a solid track record of transforming people's lives, it does not address the psychological cause of self-sabotage, alcoholism, or any other additions, at the core. But my view could change if I was to spend more time researching the method. This is just an impression, based on what I've read so far and my knowledge of the matter. Other than that, I did enjoy this book, and I appreciate the author's sincerity and genuine willingness to help. It kept my attention and actually helped me in more than one way.

A Lifetime of Riches: The Biography of Napoleon Hill (A Dutton book)
A Lifetime of Riches: The Biography of Napoleon Hill (A Dutton book)
by Michael J. Ritt

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised by this book, 11 Feb 2010
When a man's writings affect you in a profound way, you want to know who that man is. That's the reason I acquired this book, and I can say to you that it satisfied my appetite for a greater understanding of who Napoleon Hill was.

I could not put the book down. Now, it's not a very detailed biography which may disappoint some, but I was not out for details. My aim was to gain greater insight into the principles taught by Hill by examining how the man himself was able to apply them into his life.

The book taught me 3 great lessons:

1 - No matter how bright you are, you cannot make it alone, Hill's greatest achievements were always the fruit of a productive collaborative effort. (1) `Think & Grow Rich' was written with the help of his second wife (2) the man was a bandit and would have remained one, had it not been for his step mother's diligence in reshaping his thinking (3) when He finally reached a stage of his life where he was disciplined enough to hold on to his gains and differentiate a sound undertaking from an unsound one (virtually by retirement age), it was mainly to be credited to his third wife.

2 - Succeeding for what? When you look at the man's story, you can't help but to wonder what was he after? Succeeding for the sake of succeeding doesn't make sense, there's got to be a reason for succeeding, life is more than just being successful. When you don't know where you going, you end up nowhere. This is something which took a long time (and a considerable amount of pain) for Hill to understand. But he did ultimately get it.

3 - When you realize that `whatever the mind can conceive, it can achieve', which is a statement that contains a huge amount of truth in it, you also become exceptionally vulnerable to lack of pragmatism. It takes an immense amount of mental discipline, to find the right balance between big thinking and sound thinking, which is something that Hill lacked during the largest part of his adult life.

Overall, I am very grateful for this biography and for the man's life and work. I can hardly overstate the extent to which it contributed to my personal growth. And I can't help but to recommend this book.
I paid 25 ($ 35), and it was well worth it.