ARRAY(0xa2686984)

Torchwood - Miracle Day (Series 4) [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Torchwood - Miracle Day (Series 4) [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Eve Myles
Price: 12.97

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as before but still (mostly) enjoyable, 15 Nov 2011
To keep it short: I (mostly) liked this series. Yes, there were flaws (too little Jack at times, and the storyline could have been told in 2 or 3 episodes less), but it was still fun to watch. I liked the interaction between Jack and Rex (god, did I wait for Jack to put that CIA a**hole into his place at first. But the character of Rex definitely grew on me over the course of the series), Gwen was on brilliant form, and there were some wonderful appearances from Owen and Andy, and Oswald has to be one of the creepiest characters on TV ever (great acting by Bill Pullman!). Ok, so there were some plotholes, too, but every season of Torchwood has had those, I don't care too much, as long as I'm entertained. And entertaining (and thought-provoking, too, cause really: how WOULD humanity react if sth like that happened?) it was.
Still hoping for another series, maybe with individual episodes again, but wouldn't mind seeing the (surviving parts of the) new team again.

Stuart A Life Backwards [DVD] [2007]
Stuart A Life Backwards [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Tom Hardy
Offered by Revelation Films Direct
Price: 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Moving & funny - but unfortunately no subtitles, 26 Sep 2011
A really wonderful movie, pretty much everything fits perfectly: casting and acting (Tom Hardy's performance is just amazing, and Benedict Cumberbatch manages perfectly not to be reduced to be reduced to a stooge), storytelling... it made me laugh and cry and sometimes just watch in horror the newest 'revelation' about Stuarts life. Definitely one of the best things I've seen in a while.
But, and maybe this is just me, as a non-native English speaker I had horrible trouble understanding Tom Hardy's 'mumbling' Stuart most of the time. I'm aware there's a reason he speaks like this, but without English subtitles to help me out I had to rewind more than once to more or less get (and guess) what he was talking about.

Doctor Who Collectors Playing Cards ( 2 packs)
Doctor Who Collectors Playing Cards ( 2 packs)
Offered by characters4u
Price: 3.87

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice playing cards - but who decided which picture went on which card?, 9 Jan 2011
Well, if you like card games and are a Doctor Who fan, there's nothing that can go wrong with these sets of playing cards. The set is made up of two 54 cards sets, one with pictures from series 1 and 2, one with pictures from series 3. You'll find several Doctors and companions and some of the most memorable enemies on the pics, the only "important one" I'm missing Sarah Jane. The colour and value of the cards is clearly displayed on the top left and bottom right corner of each card.
The reason I'm only giving this 4 stars is due to the placement of the pics. In my opinion it would have been great to have the Doctor, his companions and 'major' enemies like the Daleks on the cards with the highest value. Instead the pics are sorted in perfect order according to the episodes they're taken from. This leads for example to "The Wire" to be the king of hearts, "The Reaper" (Father's Day) the ace of clubs, while Captain Jack (king of hearts, anyone?) is made the 2 of clubs. There could have gone a little more thought into that.

Doctor Who: The Forgotten Army
Doctor Who: The Forgotten Army
by Brian Minchin

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really my cup of tea, 11 Aug 2010
The book started good - got the characters spot-on, some good laughs, and a nice idea to start with. But over the course of the events the whole thing just became too weird - and I don't mean weird in a good "Doctor-Who-weird" sense, but more the "what the heck..." weird. Somehow the threat didn't seem so threatening, and the silly side of it became a little too prominent (dressing policemen up with tiaras etc) for my liking. Plus: I do like a strong companion, but this is the 3rd time now - in 3 books - that Amy has to get through a big part of the story on her own, and the second time she had to rescue the Doctor. Maybe it was the same in the earlier (2005-) books, and I just didn't really notice, but with this Doctor and this companion it's beginning to annoy me a bit. I did finish the book, but the last 100 pages I really had to convince myself to not just put it back onto the shelf.

Doctor Who Matt Smith The Eleventh Doctor's Crash Figure Set
Doctor Who Matt Smith The Eleventh Doctor's Crash Figure Set
Offered by Kryptonknight Ltd
Price: 26.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very detailed and accurate, great addition to your collection, 10 July 2010
I bought the Eleventh Doctor's Crash Set recently as an addition to my small (but constantly growing) collection of Doctor Who action figures. And I found these to be the best I've seen so far. The face really resembles Matt Smith, whereas some Tenth Doctor figures didn't look much like David Tennant at all.
What has stayed the same is the detailedness of the bodies/costumes, be it the patches on Eleven's jacket's elbows, the shiny boots or the fabulous mini sonic screwdriver that comes with this set.
And I really loved the improved flexibility of these figures. Where older ones sometimes only had 7 points of articulation, these ones have 13 or 14. There's an added point of articulation at the thigh of Eleven in tweed that allows for the leg/foot to point outwards/to the side, which gives more possibilities to posture the figures. The "raggedy Doctor" doesn't have this one, but instead it's head can be moved easily from side to side, which doesn't seem possible with the "tweed Doctor" - or mine's just stuck ;)
All in all my favourite Doctor Who figures so far.

"Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat": For Easy Piano
"Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat": For Easy Piano
by VARIOUS
Price: 6.36

5.0 out of 5 stars All songs from the musical included. Easy? Mostly, 22 Nov 2008
I ordered this book after seeing the London show of "Joseph" and wanting to 'take home' something from it.
The most pleasing thing after I received the booklet (25 pages) was to discover that it actually includes (as far as I recall them) all songs from the musical. Everybody's favourites like "Any Dream Will Do" and "Close Every Door" as well as less known titles like "Who's the Thief?" and "Jacob in Egypt".
The level of difficulty is stated as "for easy piano", which I would consider to be accurate. It's not "very easy", you'll need at least a bit of practice on the instrument to handle the songs. I especially had slight problems with the left hand at first and found it a bit more difficult than the right hand notation, but since my piano skills are more or less self-taught I'm sure that's the teacher's fault ;)
So, not to worry: no insurmountable obstacles are put in your way. And even if the compositions had of course to be simplyfied so they would be easier to play they don't sound 'boring' or 'cheap' but still are the real thing.
Altogether a great collection of truly beautiful songs, perfect for bringing back memories of the show.

Doctor Who: The Doctor Trap
Doctor Who: The Doctor Trap
by Simon Messingham

4.0 out of 5 stars The Doctor trap made my head spin, 24 Sep 2008
"The Doctor Trap" is one of the first Doctor Who novels to feature Donna as the Doctor's companion. Though, through the first half of the book she isn't very present, as the Doctor and her get seperated on the first pages.
Sebastiene, the ruler of his own planet, has set out to hunt the doctor down and kill him. Therefor he brought a couple of hunters to Planet 1, all infamous for wiping out rare species. He even created a Doctor-double, made from the Doctor's "biggest fan", Baris. The Doctor manages to swap places with Baris, though and now has not only to rescue Donna, but also get back his TARDIS and escape from the planet.

When I read the book description, I was afraid this could be a second "Last Dodo", another Doctor Who novel where he is hunted for being the last of his kind. But "The Doctor Trap" certainly does not imitate that one. It is faster and more exciting. Again the Doctor and his companion are very well written (including some small banters the way I liked them on the TV series). Plus, I really had to use my brains at one point - the "Doctor Trap" and it's explanation (or the explanation Sebastien though it had), made my head spin. So confusing.
A really good read I'd certainly recommend to Doctor/Donna friends.

Torchwood: Trace Memory
Torchwood: Trace Memory
by David Llewellyn
Price: 6.06

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite so far, 26 Mar 2008
Many novels accompanying TV series have a problem: sometimes they offer "background information" on the characters that doesn't fit the ongoing storylines of the show; or you strike on the idea that the author of the book has never seen a bit of the show, because he obviously writes about whole different characters.
Good thing to say: this book's not like that. Mr. Llewellyn manages to find just the right words, I found it great fun to read (not to mention that it's a pretty captivating story).

The story is set around Michael, a young man from 1953 Cardiff, who gets intangled in a series of events that (of course) bring Torchwood to the scene. The book mostly concentrates on Jack's connection with Michael. So if you're a fan of Gwen-, Owen- or Tosh-centred stories this might not be your favourite. They all have their moments (chapters), but overall they're minor characters in this one. Ianto/Jack-fans on the other hand will have a field-day, because this is a novel where his relationship with Jack doesn't get ignored by the author (no adult content of course, but some beautifully written scenes).

In the show's timeline I guess the story is situated somewhere shortly after the beginning of season 2 - Jack/Ianto is pretty obvious, but Owen's still alive, Gwen seems not to be married yet...

To outline it in brief: I would recommend this to Torchwood fans who appreciate an intriguing plot, like Jack-centred stories and don't care if the rest of the team is left out in the cold a bit.

Second Sight - Series 1& 2 [DVD] [1999]
Second Sight - Series 1& 2 [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Clive Owen

4.0 out of 5 stars Film top - DVD flop, 20 April 2007
Clive Owen is the star of these four brilliant crime stories about DCI Ross Tanner, who not only has to solve tough cases, but is also dealing with a rare eye disease, that is slowly dimming his vision. He is hiding his problem from his colleagues, afraid of losing his job if anyone finds out.

A brilliant cast (Clive Owen, Claire Skinner) and thrilling stories make "Second Sight" perfect for some enjoyable evenings.

The movies caught my attention the first time part one was shown in german TV, so I am really happy that they've finally been released on region 2-DVD (region 1 had been available for years!). Unfortunately, the discs don't contain any special features at all - not one interview, behind the scenes or anything like that. It's a pity. So - 5 stars for the film, but not more than 2 for the DVDs. Anyway, overall I give 4 stars, because the films are really worth watching.

QI : Complete BBC Series 1 [2003] [DVD]
QI : Complete BBC Series 1 [2003] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stephen Fry
Price: 7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun to watch, 10 Mar 2007
Thanks to the internet I had the chance to see a few snippets of this show. And I fell in love with it. A great panel every week, a brilliant host and funny (not to mention interesting) questions. Not living in the UK, I am so glad the first season is finally available on DVD, so I got a chance to see all the shows I've missed so far.

Also the DVD contains lots of special features as out-takes and deleted scenes, which are great fun to watch.

I'm really looking forward to the release of the following seasons.