Profile for Mikey > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Koh-I-Noor Kneadable Eraser
Koh-I-Noor Kneadable Eraser

1.0 out of 5 stars Either missing or invisible., 20 Jan. 2016
I ordered two and, as the items were not included in the package containing the other items I ordered I have had to resort to using this forum to mention is as there is no other apart from packaging which I have already used to no avail. My apologies to anyone seeking a genuine product review.

HeroNeo® New Hot Aluminum Design Professional YoYo Ball Bearing String Trick Alloy Kids

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Usable Quality., 23 Nov. 2015
Rubbish, don't buy. Very difficult to get it to work and it falls apart easily.The string was badly frayed after a couple of uses. I ordered two and they were both equally bad.

Swatch Testudo Large Ladies Watch LC105A
Swatch Testudo Large Ladies Watch LC105A
Offered by S3WATCH AG

3.0 out of 5 stars I note that other reviewers mentioned that the strap very ..., 23 Nov. 2015
I note that other reviewers mentioned that the strap very tight. I found the opposite, I do not have small wrists but if I hold my wrist up there is daylight under the strap, even on the wrist bone it is still loose. Unfortunately, this makes the watch unwearable because it slips round underneath my wrist as the watch is the heaviest component. I note that the other reviews were both written some time ago and I can only conclude that the watch strap has been modified. As this is not an ultra-cheapo watch I think some advice on how to shorten the strap could have been included instead of a wadge of multilingual guarantees and disclaimers. I took the watch to a jeweller which was an outlet for Swatch and, although they undertake repairs, they could offer no solution to watch strap problem and were not prepared to remove a couple of links as it would mean cutting the elastic. Note to Swatch; not all women have the same size wrists so watch straps need to be adjustable. The actual watch is smaller than expected, despite being described as "Large Ladies Watch" (perhaps this refers to the strap not the watch).

Wild and Wolf Scrabble Mug C
Wild and Wolf Scrabble Mug C

5.0 out of 5 stars A good quality personal gift, 4 Nov. 2015
Very pleased with the quality of the mug. I especially liked the detail of the Scrabble tile printed inside the mug. Although this is more pricey than other mugs on the market it is worth it. I have ordered five to date (all different letters) to give as presents and all have been well received.

Nicolas Winding Refn: The Act of Seeing
Nicolas Winding Refn: The Act of Seeing
by Alan Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice cover - Shame about some of the contents, 18 Oct. 2015
A beautifully made and presented book of the highest quality including a rigid slipcase and ribbon markers. Also included is a high quality, large art print which is the same design as the book's cover; unfortunately, this had to be folded. As to the contents, some of the posters reproduced are high quality design, most are quirky and interesting but not particularly artistic and a few are just plain awful. The exploitative sex posters are definitely worse than the horror posters and often resort to nothing more than crumby black and white pictures, often including one or more naked breasted women in positions suggesting sexual arousal or even in a few cases rape. Add to this slipshod layout and awful lettering and it becomes unclear quite why so many examples had to be included especially the ones that did not include photos at all. The bottom line is whether this book is worth the money and I would say not quite with reference to the content and a resounding yes to the quality and presentation.

Spongebob Squarepants - Bath Sponge - Smiling
Spongebob Squarepants - Bath Sponge - Smiling
Offered by Top Brands Fair Prices

3.0 out of 5 stars Spongebob No Pants, 8 Sept. 2015
Should really be called Spongebob No pants as the body is part of the packaging. Great for soaking up water in the bath and then throwing at your brother* - hours of fun and comprehensively wets the bathroom floor in no time. It seemed to rip apart rather easily which of course doubled the fun.
Seriously the quality does not reflect the price as a plain sponge of better quality can be purchased at most large chemist shops; OK it is not so much fun and you pay for the character merchandising but for a one off use the price was rather high. Maybe it should only be a collectors' item.

*This was observed by me, not personally undertaken.

Finnigans Wake
Finnigans Wake
by James Joyce

2.0 out of 5 stars I found it unreadable but......, 13 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Finnigans Wake (Hardcover)
"bababadelgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronnruonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenethurnuk!" If you enjoy reading letters strung together and can find a meaning in them then this book is for you. The first few words are "river run from Eve and Adam's first swerve of shore to bend of bay," so forget sentences and coherent sense. I have to come clean and admit that I have never succeeded in reading this book, very few people have although many more say they have. Quite how it was not only published, remains in print and has even been made into a film, is quite beyond me. This book has been studied dissected and analysed over and over again so there are plenty of views and explanations available. Either it is a case of "The Emperor's New Clothes" or I and numerous other people just don't have the intellect to cope with it. If you can just feel the sounds or enjoy the sequence of letters or maybe find some hidden pleasure just by reading this piece, then go ahead but don't say I didn't warn you.

STONE-LITE 50 cm Pedestal - Grey
STONE-LITE 50 cm Pedestal - Grey

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice pedestal - shame about the crack., 21 Jun. 2015
Unfortunately, I had to return this item because a corner on the base end was badly cracked. This was evident before I had even unwrapped it fully, so I re-wrapped it and send it back. The free return procedure was very easy to follow and the pedestal was collected the next day and my money was refunded shortly after. From what I saw of it, the pedestal looked very nice and had it not been cracked, it would have made a handsome addition to my garden. My only reservation would be that since it broke in transit (presumably) it might not be strong enough to withstand the rigours
of having items placed on top of it and enduring changeable English weather.

Gone Girl [DVD] [2014]
Gone Girl [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Ben Affleck

4.0 out of 5 stars Which should you do first?, 21 April 2015
This review is from: Gone Girl [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
Watch the film or read the book. Of course you can simply do one or the other, it is up to you. I read the book and then saw the film like many other reviewers. I think this is relevant and it coloured my view of the film. My biggest problem was that I did not see Amy as being like Rosamund Pike who conveyed a stronger, plainer and more sinister image from the outset than I envisaged from the book. I saw Amy as outwardly cuter, prettier and more "sugar coated" than she appears in the film. Maybe I am wrong, after all Gillian Flynn wrote the screenplay, though who knows whether she had any control over casting. That is the essential problem of seeing any film after reading the book as you all your life experiences contribute to your mental images of the characters you reading about and the film rarely chimes with all these. The opposite is true if if you see the film first and you are stuck with somebody else's visual interpretation in your mind's eye as you read.

On balance, I think it is, generally speaking, and in this particular case, better to read the book first, if you intend to read it at all. I felt that the early scenes were more comprehensible, especially they seemed to be filmed in near darkness with barely intelligible dialogue, as mentioned in a previous review. I found that the two media complemented each other; the earlier plot development easier to follow in the book and the later unfolding of the plot and the ultimate scenes clearer in the film. In short I advise you to do both, it matters little in which order as the sum of the film and the book is greater than the two parts.

Sharp Objects
Sharp Objects
by Gillian Flynn

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, if you like that sort of thing. Grim if you don't., 16 April 2015
This review is from: Sharp Objects (Paperback)
Not sure what to say as, unlike some reviewers, I found the book held my attention right to the end. But, there is a great deal of "Grand Guignol" type horror concerning mental illness, torture, murder and animal cruelty and, as in the other two books, I found myself skipping sections as they were too gruesome for me . It is difficult to be more specific without spoiling the plot. In my view, this book follows a long literary tradition of women characters who are toxic and violent and seems to be a theme in 'Dark Places' and 'Gone Girl' as well. So it is surprising to read that Gillian Flynn is a feminist and thinks nasty but powerful female characters are in any way new. This is Gillian Flynn's first novel and it has to be said that her third novel 'Gone Girl' is the best of the three.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3