Profile for sweetangel9999 > Reviews

Content by sweetangel9999

"sweetangel9999"

A Noble Cause?: America and the Vietnam War (Modern Wars In Perspective)
A Noble Cause?: America and the Vietnam War (Modern Wars In Perspective)
by Gerard J. DeGroot

4.0 out of 5 stars A Noble Cause? America and the Vietnam War., 19 Feb. 2004
While I agree that this book has it's merits and it does provide an interesting account of events in the Vietnam War, the book is very much opinion.
I brought the book for an A-Level individual study and thought tht it would give me a good insight into the War. What I found when reading the book is that although it has a very extensive bibliography and uses a vast array of facts, the author reaches his own conclusion and seems intent on making it heard. I know that many authors do this, but I brought the book intending to have an unbiased account of the War, and found that this book wasn't.
It is however, very helpful in providing other historians opinions and primary sources. So I would recommend buying it, but buy also a book that only gives you the facts.

Stitch! The Movie [DVD] [2003]
Stitch! The Movie [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Daveigh Chase
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't compare., 12 Dec. 2003
I was extremely disappointed in this film. I adored the first one, it was creative and fun, the music and animation were superb and it had all the qualities of a good Disney film.
However this second film doesn't compare. It is obviously a very rushed project. The amimation is sloppy and the music that was a huge focus in 1 was nearly non-existant in 2. The plot, also, wasn't developed and in 1hr the film speeds by.
As with many of the Disney sequels, care of preserving a good and well loved movie doesn't seem to be an issue but rather the promise of money from gullible fans. It almost seems to tarnish the films reputation. But as long as Disney thinks they can get away with it, they will continue to do so.

Pride and Prejudice [Region 2]
Pride and Prejudice [Region 2]
Offered by EU ELECTRIC

5.0 out of 5 stars Pride and Predjudice., 12 Dec. 2003
First I read 'Sense and Sensiblity' and I loved it so much I watched the film. Pretty soon they both became my favourite! But then I read 'Pride and Predjudice' which is an utterly amazing piece of literature and a part of me didn't want to watch the film because in my experience film adaptations are rarely very good. Characterisations or settings are 'wrong' or not faithful to the novel, which is understandable - everybody interprets infomation differently. It's the directors/writers prerogative to put their own opinions on screen. But I decided to give it a go and I'm very glad I did.
This film is amazing. Not only are the characterisations perfect but the setting and the costumes really add to the film. Overall it's about 5 hours long but that's not a problem!! I watched it with my 13 year old sister, while wrapped in a duvet and eating chocolate (and drooling over Colin Firth in a wet shirt!)
I really recommend this film if you want to watch a decent and faithful adaptation of a fantastic novel. You won't be disappointed - and while you're at it, read the novel!
(Did I mention Colin Firth in a wet shirt?! lol ;-) )

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Lilo and Stitch, 28 Dec. 2002
I loved this film. I'm not the best critic at times as I sometimes tend to be rather biased, however in complete sincerity this film is marvellelous, both for the child and the adult.
It shows a different aspect towards Disney filming, for once the animators have foregone the good/evil clique that many of the Disney films represent. This is no 'real' evil and no evil being destroyed by the good in the end. But more imaginative, a little alien escaping to Earth and finding a family.
Ofcourse the character designs are amazing!! Lilo and Stitch are both cute and sweet. How they make a little blue alien with 6 arms adorable I don't know, but he is!!
The music - Elvis, adds a different twist, again reminding the viewer that this isn't just some indifferent Disney film.
The film is really funny, both obviously and hidden. But it also can have the opposite effect of making you want to cry! You've gotta buy it, it's worth it!

AS Psychology For AQA Specification B
AS Psychology For AQA Specification B
by Erika Cox

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful - a must buy!!, 1 Dec. 2002
I'm doing my AS year at the moment and finding out i'm doing spec B, wasn't that great. Every book i've seen on As psychology has been focused on spec A!!
This has been a great help and with my other text book (introducing psychology - which is also a great help) i have found the subject very interesting and easier to understand.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Book 3)
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Book 3)
by J. K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars A thought provoking and moving book., 1 Dec. 2002
As with the other two books, throughout this novel Harry is learning more about his past, present and future. With both Philosopher's stone and Chamber of Secrets, i feel that J.K Rowling presents Harry just fasinated by the adventure and miracles that Hogwarts creates, with little insight to Harrys power. Prisoner of Azkaban breaks that tradition with Harry wanting to know more about his parents and, his destiny.
The story, in my opinion is remarkable. I've read all four of the books dozens of times, but Prisoner of Azkaban is my ultimate favourite. This is because unlike the other books, Prisoner has a sense of reality behind it, allowing real emotions to develop. For example, the love Harrys parents had for him and the loyality of friendship are strongly portrayed in this book. The story provides a serious message while continuing to work the 'Harry Potter' magic.
However one down side to the story i feel is that the ending tends to be a little rushed, from the coming out of the Shrieking Shack until the ending. Although while saying that, the Shrieking Shack scene is marvelous. We finally find out the true intentions of the story and in my opinion is a real tear-jerker!
And now like every other 'mad' Harry Potter fan out there, i'm waiting for the fifth book, which i'm sure will be as good as the others and i cannot wait!!
I wish to congratulate Ms Rowling for these wonderful creations and bringing a little bit of magic into all of us. You truly are a wonder. Thankyou.