Profile for D. J. Winder > Reviews

Content by D. J. Winder

D. J. Winder "F1Racer" (Gibraltar)

Peter Kay: Live & Back on Nights [DVD]
Peter Kay: Live & Back on Nights [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Kay
Offered by rockaway-records
Price: 4.90

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing :(, 30 Nov 2012
I was really looking forward to this. The cover has you believe its a proper stand up show but it's not.
Bits and pieces edited together seemingly at random. Behing the scenes stuff, appearances on other TV show and other stuff. You keep waiting for the actual show to start and it never does.

For someone who's been away from stand up for 7 years, this is not the way to come back. Why on Earth couldn't we get a full show ??

Feel ripped off. :(

Assassin's Creed II (PC)
Assassin's Creed II (PC)
Offered by 4GamersUK
Price: 4.75

1.0 out of 5 stars Ubisoft shot themselves in the foot with this one, 5 Mar 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Along with Silent Hunter 5, Splinter Cell: Conviction and ANY Ubisoft PC release from now on, Assassins Creed has been released with a DRM system that means you have to be online and stay online while you play. A bit like multiplayer but with multiplayer we all know that is the deal.
Not being able to play this game that you already paid for unless you meet their 'anti-piracy' terms (which is wierd cos you already bought it), goes too far. What if you want to play on a laptop while you travel or don't have a permanent or steady net connection. You're basically screwed.
Of course this DRM like all the others will eventually be cracked and that will mean that people will pirated copies will be able to have all the benefits that this DRM removes from the legitimate customer.
Quite why Ubisoft cannot see that this system will get pirated anyway is beyond me. Its a waste of their time, money and resources. Their is no upside to this, certainly not in increased sales. For every one person who buys this game because there's no proper crack out and they would have otherwise downloaded it, there will be another who will boycott this game and likely any and every other Ubisoft game that gets released with these shackles.

This is like buying a car from a garage and the salesman saying you can only buy fuel and parts from him and only bring your car to him and nowhere else.
Then you have another dodgy guy who offers you the same car for free that you can service and refuel anywhere. Which option are you taking ?

I was going to buy this game as I would have with Splinter Cell: Conviction, but there is no way on Earth that I will now as I completely refuse to bend over to these restrictions. To top that Ubisoft have had the gall and audacity to say this will be a better experience for the consumer. Oh yeah, how?
What happens if this does sell and their servers can't take the load and shut down. You can't play and YOU'RE a paying customer.

Bite the bullet and boycott what otherwise should be a great game and send a message that there are lines you can't cross, we are sick of the big companies thinking they can do whatever they want to the consumer and don't willingly bend over to this corporate paranoia.

They are doing more harm to themselves than good and wow have they had their reputation tarnished further pretty much overnight with this one. Beats me how they thought this was a good idea and never saw this backlash coming.

Games that are easily cracked can sell in their millions if the product is good. DRM is not the answer to piracy and never will be.

Far Cry 2 (PC)
Far Cry 2 (PC)
Offered by passionFlix UK
Price: 2.87

1.0 out of 5 stars DRM loses another sale, 22 Oct 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Far Cry 2 (PC) (Video Game)
I just came here to buy this. But to find that this also has the restrictive DRM protection has put me off completely.
DRM means that honest genuine buyers get restrictions on their game such as ridiculous limited installs.
A pirated copy removes those restrictions. So who's better off here ? The pirate or the genuine buyer. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to realise that this is actually increasing pirated copies of this game on peoples computers. Senseless corporate stupidity and its all gone too far.
Genuine buyers do not want DRM.
Now Im going to miss out on this great game but my principals are higher than my desire.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 24, 2008 3:27 PM BST

Planet Earth : Complete BBC Series (5 Disc Box Set) [2006] [DVD]
Planet Earth : Complete BBC Series (5 Disc Box Set) [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Attenborough
Price: 8.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye opening in more ways than one. BBC does it again ! Bravo!!, 21 Dec 2006
Its quite clear with their track record that the BBC make the best natural history documentaries. Having Sir David Attenborough to present or narrate them just emphasises that dominance.

Planet Earth is simply stunning. You cannot overstate this series in any way.

The footage in each episode will literally leave you open mouthed and eyes glued to the screen in awe. As Life In The Undergrowth is, this is unique in many ways, the camera work, the angles, the ultra-slowmo shots, just boggle the mind.

Hats must be taken off to the tireless work from the cameramen and crew who spent days and weeks in some parts, waiting to grab just a few seconds of footage for us. These people are the heroes in this series. If it wasnt for their dedication and sometimes bravery (recalling the cameraman pulling his equipment on a sled in Antarctia with temps of -50 degrees while hurricane force winds brought him to his knees), we could not be witness to the maginificent splendour that nature still has to offer us.

How long it will continue to offer us this is up to us.

Thankfully for the most part, Planet Earth takes an optimistic approach and shows us what we still have while still slipping in the odd reminder about what climate change and our own interference is doing to the other species who WE share the planet with.

I would go so far as to say that this type of thing should be required viewing in all schools.

Do not miss out on this. If you are reading these reviews then you have enough interest already and not owning this superb series will be a sin in my book.

The Life Collection: David Attenborough (24 Disc BBC Box Set) [DVD] [1990]
The Life Collection: David Attenborough (24 Disc BBC Box Set) [DVD] [1990]
Dvd ~ David Attenborough
Price: 46.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply jaw dropping., 16 Dec 2005
What can you say about David Attebnorough? The man is a living legend. This collection probably represents the best value for money on the whole of Amazon. Why? Because the amount you will learn and be amazed at far exceeds the money you spent trying to justify the purchase.
You cannot fail to be disappointed. Each boxset is superbly presented with some of the best nature photography you will come across.
Couple this with the Blue Planet and the new Life in the Undergrowth and you have a collection to hold on to and be proud of.
Buy this now and learn about the other life we share this planet with.
I cannot recommend this high enough.

Unreal Tournament 2004 (PC DVD)
Unreal Tournament 2004 (PC DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sending the wrong version !, 25 Mar 2004
Well I know the game is great, but I got sent the wrong version.
Despite this saying its a 2DVD version, the one I got sent was the single DVD version which I did not want.
Amazon said just to return it but thats not really satisfactory.
To this day they are still advertising a 2 DVD version.
So what does this mean ?
That they dont have it and are sending the single DVD version to everyone by mistake or that they indeed do have it, in which case why was I not offered it as a replacement !???
I really dont know whats going on at Amazon with this game and I dont think they do either.
Now despite a small refund to allow for the fact that its the cheaper 1 DVD version Im stuck with a game version I didnt want and I still see them advertising for the one I do want.
Ridiculous and very un-Amazon like.