Profile for M. M. PORTMANN > Reviews

Content by M. M. PORTMANN

M. M. PORTMANN (UK)

Change Your Posture, Change Your Life: How the Power of the Alexander Technique can Combat Back Pain, Tension and Stress
by Richard Brennan

5.0 out of 5 stars Alexander Technique - explained without fuss, 19 Feb 2012
I am a teacher of the Alexander Technique and had a very quick skim through Richard Brennan's new book. What struck me very favorably are the following points:

1) Richard Brennan never loses sight of F.M. Alexander's work. It forms an integral part of the whole of the book. This is one of a few books on the Alexander Technique I have come across that does this.
2) The Author doesn't need to change Alexander's language. I have never understood why so many Alexander Technique teachers have a problem with Alexander's language. My view is that it is really quite straight forward and does not need to be adapted or translated. Richard Brennan's book is testimony to this.
3) The author doesn't go off into the esoteric (quite a few of the books on AT do - in fact surprisingly many!).
4) The book is very practical and clear when showing the applications of the Alexander Technique to everyday activities.

Just from this short glimpse, I feel that I could recommend the book to any of my pupils and colleagues without reservations.