Profile for Maureen Davis > Reviews

Fractured
Fractured
Price: 1.79

2.0 out of 5 stars Leave this one on the shelf, 12 July 2014
This review is from: Fractured (Kindle Edition)
I really must stop reading reviews before I choose a book. For me this book does not deserve the praise heaped on it by previous reviewers. The story line is not new or original and has been bettered. Such a story line should make it impossible to put the book down. However, I found The clichéd style of the writing, interspersed with sickly romance, a turn off.

A great writer will frame the characters in the book in such a way that the reader actually cares about them. Did I care about the characters?
No! The very best written characters leave you missing them long after the book ends.

I am often reluctant to close a book when the prose ends. Not this time. I wanted to give up within the first few pages; next time I will follow my instinct.

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
Price: 2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunately, Alan's life story wasn't for me., 17 Jun 2014
I started to read this book because it had been recommended to me and the reviews were very positive. Sadly I found this book quite tedious and the characters one dimensional. It reminded me of Forest Gump without the charm. Many of the reviewers quoted that they laughed out loud; sadly I didn't even smile. On a positive note, the book is well researched and well written. I enjoyed the historical references and took time out to explore the incidents in the book and characters involved. I particularly liked the references to Soong May-ling and spent time reading further. This only served to distract me from the book and made me reluctant to return. On returning to the book, I have to confess that I was quite pleased when the end was in sight.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel [DVD] [2011]
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Judi Dench
Price: 3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A tonic for crinkles everywhere, 1 Jun 2014
I loved this film although the plot is clearly unrealistic. Totally impractical for a individuals in their circumstances to uproot themselves to Mumbai. All the way through it I was hoping that they had taken out good insurance.
I still found the film inspirational, and love the message that 'you are never too old'......

Of course it helps that the the best if British illuminaries were acting their socks off.

More films like this please?

Philomena: The true story of a mother and the son she had to give away (film tie-in edition)
by Martin Sixsmith
Price: 3.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Real life better than fiction., 27 Dec 2013
Broke the habit of a lifetime and saw the film before reading the book. Both are engrossing and very moving. Highly recommended

The Vampire Diaries: 6: Shadow Souls: 2/3
The Vampire Diaries: 6: Shadow Souls: 2/3
by L J Smith
Price: 5.24

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit confusing at times, 27 Dec 2013
There is a lot going on in this book and at times it is difficult to keep up with the plot. So far from the television version that it defies comparison.

It is, in my view too long and could have been condensed into a more comfortable read.

12 Pairs childrens black magic winter gloves - one size
12 Pairs childrens black magic winter gloves - one size
Offered by 123 Shop Online
Price: 3.90

4.0 out of 5 stars one size gloves, 27 Dec 2013
Delivery of the gloves was swift and no complaints about quality or value for money. Very slight issue with 'one size' is that the child I bought them for is a biggish seven year old and they fit - just.

Overall very happy with the purchase.

Women's Health Big Book of Yoga, The
Women's Health Big Book of Yoga, The
by Kathryn
Price: 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars At last yoga all in one book, 7 July 2013
I have many yoga books as am very serious about my practice, but some books are dull, pretentious or just plain boring. This one isn't. Attractive and useful photos and step by step by step instructions which suits all levels of yoga. I loved it and would recommend it to anyone thinking of buying

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn
A Tree Grows In Brooklyn
by Betty Smith
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book that should be shared., 19 April 2013
I read this book because it was on my list of books to read before I die. I had to get past the first couple of chapters before becoming absorbed but is was well worth it. I could happily of read it from beginning to end without putting it down. An intersting and well written book about a bygone era. Fascinating.

Fifty Shades of Grey: 1/3
Fifty Shades of Grey: 1/3
Price: 2.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Should have read something else., 19 April 2013
I downloaded these books onto my kindle beleiving that they must be good -everyone say so. Must advise is don't bother. Poorly written with unbeleivable characters. Tedious.

Fifty Shades Freed: 3/3
Fifty Shades Freed: 3/3
Price: 3.32

3.0 out of 5 stars Boring and unbeleivable., 19 April 2013
I must be in the minority but I found all three of these books boring. The wholly saga could have been wrapped up in one book and saved me the tedium

Page: 1 | 2