Profile for mhc_research > Reviews

Far Cry (PC)
Far Cry (PC)
Offered by UKGameSource

5.0 out of 5 stars Best game I've played, 28 Feb. 2005
This review is from: Far Cry (PC) (Video Game)
This is the best game I have ever played. Totally immersive and so much better than Doom III. For starters, you get none of the totally predictable monsters jumping out behind you from nowhere. The gameplay is less linear, and enemies show greater intelligence - they don't just dumbly follow the same script each time you play. I completed it on 'medium' setting and am going to start again on the next level up. Suffice to say that with Doom III, I completed it on medium and then just forgot all about it.

My Year Off: Rediscovering Life After a Stroke
My Year Off: Rediscovering Life After a Stroke
by Robert McCrum

5.0 out of 5 stars A window on a different world, 6 Jan. 2005
I want to be a physiotherapist. I volunteer half a day a week at my local hospital, where I help the physiotherapists who work with the stroke patients. This book helped me understand a little better what it is that the patients go through.
Everyone's different of course, and this account is just how Robert McCrumb felt about his particular stroke. But nevertheless, it has helped me enormously and I feel like I can understand better what those people are going through now. When I qualify as a physiotherapist in three years time, I'd like to think this book would've helped me to learn something I probably won't be taught on my course.

Iriver 40GB MP3 Player with FM Tuner H-140
Iriver 40GB MP3 Player with FM Tuner H-140

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best !, 6 Jan. 2005
In the last month, I bought my wife an iPod mini, and she bought me a Sony NWHD1. The Sony transfer software crashed all the time (Win XP, SP2) so we sent it back and I bought the iRiver instead (strangely, my single-star feedback to Amazon never made it onto the website - perhaps I was too angry when I wrote it). We both had two years faultless service from iRiver 128 Mb players, so I trusted the name, but to most people it will be an unknown. Have no fear - your faith will be rewarded !
What can I say that hasn't already been mentioned here about the iHP-140 ? Probably nothing, but I can't resist repeating that sound quality is out of this world ... much better than the Sony (for the few tracks I managed to transfer before the hard drive famously wiped itself, subsequently refusing to accept anything else). And much better sound than the iPod too. I'm hearing detail in tracks which I never knew existed before !
Okay, the iPod is cuter, the Sony looks nicer, but I bought the iRiver so I could listen to music, not pose ... and I'm so glad I did.

Apple iPod mini 4GB - Green
Apple iPod mini 4GB - Green

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - but headphones let it down, 13 Dec. 2004
REALLY pleased with this, although I admit it took me a while to work how to use the "intuitive" click-wheel. I must be a bit thick. Once I figured that out though, it's just brilliant ! The iPod mini is even smaller than I was expecting - it's so tiny ! Sound quality is good (with MP3 at 128k), but improved noticably by substituting the tacky white "Please mug me, I have an iPod in my pocket" earphones with a pair of Sonys I had left over from a 35 quid walkman bought about 10 years ago. In my opinion, this is either a case of form coming before function, or Apple are serioulsy short-changing buyers with these poor quality 'phones on a product costing not far short of 200 hundred pounds ! But let's be fair, 'phones aside, this is an astounding product and I would recommend it to anyone who can "make do" with 4GB of space (I managed to get about 1000 MP3s on there at 128k).

Linksys WPC11-UK v.4 Wireless - B Notebook Adapter (802.11b)
Linksys WPC11-UK v.4 Wireless - B Notebook Adapter (802.11b)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product but reception could be better, 18 Mar. 2003
I've had no problems with this in and around my average three bedroom suburban "Barratt box". But I have to say, when compared with the USB unit I use on my desktop, reception is not nearly so good at the same range. If it wasn't for this slight grumble, I would've given it five stars.
I've heard other PCMCIA cards do a better job, but have no direct experience of this.
I use this card with the Linksys wireless router and everything worked straight out of the boxes on default settings (but you should change these at your earliest convenience for obvious security reasons).

Fuji FinePix S304 Zoom Digital Camera [3.2MP 6xOptical]
Fuji FinePix S304 Zoom Digital Camera [3.2MP 6xOptical]

5.0 out of 5 stars Confirmation - this is a great little camera, 18 Mar. 2003
I won't waste too much of your time repeating that which has already been said - but suffice to say it's all true and the good points far, far outweigh the sub-optimal performance under low light conditions.
As for the lens cap issue, mine seems fine, so this particular sticking point may now be a thing of the past.
Well done Fuji - brilliant camera, excellent value for money.

Linksys WUSB11 Wireless-B USB Network Adapter 2.4GHz 802.11b
Linksys WUSB11 Wireless-B USB Network Adapter 2.4GHz 802.11b

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, good reception, 22 Jan. 2003
This installed without problems (under XP) and reception is great, even with the aerial folded down. I'm using it with the Linksys BEFW114S wireless router and both worked fine 'out of the box'. You're recommended to alter some setting for security, but this was not a problem.
I was surprised how small it is - about the same size as a pack of cards.
Overall, great - very happy with it.
I

Web Development with JavaServer Pages
Web Development with JavaServer Pages
by Duane K. Fields

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, peters out towards the end though, 22 Jan. 2003
Overall this is a good book. I'm new to web development but have worked with Java and distributed applications for about four years.
I thought it started out really well and gave me an excellent introduction to JSP, although I would've liked a bit more information regarding security (even though this is rather container specific, I don't think a general discussion would have been out of place).
My only criticism is that the quality peters out towards the end of the book when custom tag libraries are discussed. For example, there are far too many forward references, and although I admit it's a hard topic to make interesting, the three chapter coverage is dull, monolithic and slow.
Despite this, I would recommend this book as there is so much other useful stuff in there, but perhaps (like me), others would be well advised to look elsewhere for a better intro to custom taglibs.