Profile for mitchenall > Reviews

Maverick Wireless BBQ Thermometer Set - Maverick ET732
Maverick Wireless BBQ Thermometer Set - Maverick ET732
Offered by Lovely Gifts
Price: 59.95

2.0 out of 5 stars ET732 - cheaply produced, slow, annoying, poor range, 26 July 2014
This is a fairly useful gadget, but costly for the quality. It seems to take a long time for the probes to get to temperature for a decent reading, even compared to the built in thermometer on the top of my barbecue. Still, fairly handy oven/barbecue thermometer. Just poor quality and poor user experience.

Nearly everything you do with it makes it beep. Pressing any button on the receiver, etc. Not a major drawback maybe, but I'm often starting a smoke in the dead of night and use the thermometer to keep an eye on stuff when I'm in bed and alert me if the barbecue goes out or too hot. But, each button press, even for the back-light, causes the thing to beep, which is enough to wake/annoy people. It's the same beep for when it's out of range, or for the temperature alarms.

The user interface is not exactly straightforward. You really need to read the small manual to figure out how the alarms work properly and how to set the min/max temperatures. The operation of the alarms could be improved greatly.

Putting the two AAA batteries into the receiver is no problem. Just slide off the battery cover and put them in. On the transmitter, you need a screwdriver. I simply have no idea why that was necessary. However, it does last a while on batteries. I've used it for about 40 odd hours on a set of rechargeable AAA batteries so far.

The range seems to be all over the place. Sometimes it seems to work anywhere in the house. Other times, it seems to lose signal within 10-20 metres. Certainly, the presence of walls can seriously disrupt the range.

The one thing this device has done has made me even more sure that I need to build myself a decent WiFi enabled thermometer, and I've got a pair of thermistors for it now I suppose.

Metaltex Oyster Knife
Metaltex Oyster Knife
Offered by The crock ltd
Price: 4.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty decent shucker, 29 Jan 2014
This review is from: Metaltex Oyster Knife
Much easier to use than the previous knife I'd been using, that wasn't really designed for the job. Get into them in seconds now.

Not sure how long it'd survive opening the big, heavy-duty beasties, as it doesn't seem tremendously well made, but for small to medium sized oysters, it certainly does the job well and is definitely recommended.

Kitchen Craft Oven Thermometer, Stainless Steel
Kitchen Craft Oven Thermometer, Stainless Steel
Price: 3.78

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not last, 24 Nov 2013
I bought this as I wasn't sure the temperature of my oven. This seemed like a cheap solution. It worked OK for about a month or two, then stopped working altogether, so probably worth spending a bit more.

Lakeland My Kitchen Cook & Bake Brownie Tin (13.5" x 8")
Lakeland My Kitchen Cook & Bake Brownie Tin (13.5" x 8")
Offered by Lakeland
Price: 11.99

2.0 out of 5 stars strong tray, useless non-stick layer, 28 Oct 2013
I know that with non-stick trays aren't as hard-waring, and that you cannot use a proper scourer with them, but with this tray, if you look at it a bit too hard the non-stick surface comes off.

In every other respect, it's pretty good. It's strong, doesn't deform in the oven, etc. But the non-stick surface is absolutely terrible and for any food prep, I now have to ensure that I just use it lined, as otherwise, there's the risk that the surface will just become attached to any food placed on it.

So, if you don't mind lining it every time you use it, it's OK. Otherwise, it's an utter failure as a non-stick brownie tray.

Brand New Mens Womens 13" 15.5" Padded Canvas Laptop Backpack Rucksack Bag (Green/Black) (Black)
Offered by more4bagz
Price: 16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, comfortable, nice size, 13 Sep 2013
I can't comment on others comments about the dye running. I have the black version, but tend to wear black anyway, so no complains from me so far.

The bag feels fairly good quality. I haven't heard any stitches ping, even with most of a shopping basket of groceries in it. Quite happily holds a good 4 bottles of wine, possibly one or two extra.

Holds a 15.4" laptop pretty well and the bottom of the compartment has a little extra padding.

A few separate compartments of useful sizes, which is handy for me when going to the gym on the way to the work, as plenty of pockets to put my stuff from there in, without contaminating the other compartments. Compression straps help keep it nice and thin when you're not holding too much in it.

For the 18 + postage I paid for it, I'm very happy with it so far. It looks quite nice, hasn't really leaked in the rain and holds a little or a lot pretty comfortably. For round town usage, this bag is definitely adequate.

Always On Protective Camera Wrap - Black Faux Leather - compatible with Panasonic Lumix TZ10,TZ20,TZ18,FS16,FS35, Nikon Coolpix L23,S3100, Fujifilm Finepix AV200, Canon IXUS all models

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for small compact camera, excellent value, 13 Sep 2013
For the money, this is a great little case. In my case, it came free with a Canon IXUS 220 HS I was buying as a gift, and thought it would at least do until she bought something nicer. But it actually doesn't look too bad in the flesh, the "leather" looks OK, and it gives adequate protection from small drops, etc.

As the tripod socket on this camera isn't used for anything else, having the case attached to it is actually pretty handy. It's quick to reveal the camera, and to wrap back up again.

For a small compact camera, that's generally carried around in a hand-bag, it's just the job. As such, hasn't been replaced, and after nearly 2 years, is still in good nick.

WMF Manhattan Hip Flask, 20cl  ( 7oz )
WMF Manhattan Hip Flask, 20cl ( 7oz )
Price: 19.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the quality I expected, 28 Aug 2013
I decided to fork out a bit extra to get a WMF hip flask after being so impressed with the WMF pressure cooker I bought a few years ago. In all, it's pretty good quality and well finished. However, the pin in the hinge for the lid is very poorly fitted and tends to fall out, which really lets the whole item down, as I can see this getting lost at some point in the future.

So, a mostly great quality hip flask, let down by a dodgy hinge pin, which at this price, means only three stars. If perfectly finished, would definitely be worth five, but at this price, I had to knock off two.

Chillies on the Web Chipotle Morita Chilli Powder 50g
Chillies on the Web Chipotle Morita Chilli Powder 50g
Offered by CHILLIESontheWEB
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Chipotle Powder, 28 Aug 2013
I've used Chipotle paste a lot, as that is all I can ever find locally, but wanted some dried chipotle to use in a dry rub. This product is perfect, with a lovely aroma and taste. Will be buying more in future as I can see myself getting through it fairly rapidly.

Ordered Friday afternoon from "Chillies on the Web", and was delivered promptly on Saturday morning. Excellent.

LED Lenser P5 Professional Torch (Black) - Gift Box
LED Lenser P5 Professional Torch (Black) - Gift Box
Price: 32.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, but great, 30 April 2013
Considering some of the far cheaper, LED torches that emit a similar lumen level, this is pretty expensive. However, it does have a nicer light beam than some of the much cheaper ones, and generally feels much more nicely engineered.

It says only 59 lumens on here, but in the packaging, it states it's 105 lumens with a range of 130m. In use, I'd say the packaging figures are probably about right.

The battery seems to last fairly well too.

The additional pouch I haven't really used, although it's pretty sturdy with a carabiner included.

With the gift box would make a nice gift.

However, if you're just after a 100ish lumen torch, that runs on a single AA battery, then there are alternatives on here at around a fifth or sixth of the price that provide that. They're just not quite as well finished off as this.

Long Life Lamp Company GU10 5 Watt Super Bright LED with New Chip Technology, Warm White 50w replacements
Price: 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Colour not perfect, but bright enough, 30 April 2013
I had previously tried a 6W version of these to replace halogen bulbs in our kitchen. The 6W was perhaps a little bright and purple. At 5W, these are really pretty bright bulbs, and 4 of them happily light our kitchen, but the colour is slightly better. Still a little cool, but as they're for a kitchen, this is not a big issue.

More importantly, unlike many LED GU10s, these fit perfectly in our light fittings, which need exactly 50mm length bulbs.

If they last as long as they're supposed to, they'll be great value, but so far so good.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4