Profile for Ali Mansell > Reviews

Ali Mansell

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Trick and Treat: how 'health eating' is making us ill
Trick and Treat: how 'health eating' is making us ill

5.0 out of 5 stars Facinating study of the food we eat and the consequences, 7 Sep 2014
I am a retired food and nutrition teacher. I trained in the 1960's and I taught the sound basics of nutrition. After having my family I returned to teaching in 1980 and I gradually was sucked in to the 'healthy eating' campaign. What a relief to read this book and see my original teaching on nutrition was spot on. I always doubted some of the healthy eating advice but the text books dictated what to reach. I would enjoy discussing the theories I this book with the bright students I taught. They would have loved it. Such sound advice for us all. It's a long book so stick with it. It's worth it.

An Officer and a Spy
An Officer and a Spy

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 12 Aug 2014
I have always been intrigued by the Dreyfus affair but I never really pursued it. This is an excellent novel giving a clear readable and, dare I say, entertaining account of the appalling story. It's a tale that makes the blood boil, but told in a way that makes you want to constantly turn the pages. I could not put it down.

Amore and Amaretti: A Tale of Love and Food in Italy
Amore and Amaretti: A Tale of Love and Food in Italy

3.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant read that takes you straight to the heart ..., 20 July 2014
A pleasant read that takes you straight to the heart of Italy- food.A story spanning several decades linking relationships and life in the restaurant business for an Australian girl. Delicious recipes accompany each chapter appear in the text in a most appealing way. It's well written and quite enlightening.

Old Filth
Old Filth

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer entertainment, 4 July 2014
This review is from: Old Filth (Kindle Edition)
This is Jane Gardam at her very best. It is the tale of Old Filth', the nickname of her character, Sir Edward Feathers, all his life is here. It's sad, poignant ,very funny, enlightening, and simply sheer entertainment. Wonderful stuff.

The Villa Triste
The Villa Triste

3.0 out of 5 stars long convoluted story, 24 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Villa Triste (Kindle Edition)
This is a story of war time Italian partisans and a modern day series of murders. It's a good story but very convoluted. It requires some skillful editing to make it flow better and shorten it. The writer tends to get bogged down in too much detail , but it's a pleasant read with several factual elements.

No! I Don't Need Reading Glasses
No! I Don't Need Reading Glasses

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, and fun., 12 Jun 2014
This delightful novel was a great quick read as Virginia ( a favourite columnist for me) reflects uncannily my own experiences as a 65 year old with plenty of life left in me! So I'm not the only one who aches in every limb yet wants to just get on with it regardless! Wonderful.

How Blue is my Valley: the real Provence
How Blue is my Valley: the real Provence

3.0 out of 5 stars A tale with a difference., 12 Jun 2014
Jean Gill gives us the tale of her 'move to France' intertwined with her 'I'm leaving Wales' tale. At times it's difficult to cotton on to where she is talking about and I'm not that bothered about Wales. It's a good enough story but one I've read many times. Upper Provence , the Drôme, sounds very pleasant, though. The difference lies with her writing style.she has attempted to offer something different.

My Last Duchess
My Last Duchess

3.0 out of 5 stars predicable story, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: My Last Duchess (Kindle Edition)
This is like observing the story through a sickly Singer Sargeant painting with the style of Georgette Heyer. If this is your style, you will love it, but I didn't. I finished it because I was on holiday and I had nothing better to do.

This Boy
This Boy

5.0 out of 5 stars an exceptional book, 28 May 2014
This review is from: This Boy (Kindle Edition)
Alan Johnson tells the story of his very tough early life without sentiment, or any moralising. It's a very entertaining read and I was sad when it ended. As a child of the sixties myself, I could appreciate the background story but the life of Alan, his wonderful sister and mother was simply heartbreaking. How could we let such poverty exist? Sadly it still does and this book is a lesson to us all .

Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars What a story teller!, 11 May 2014
Downtown abbey this is not! ... But there are elements of it with a strong welsh bias. It's a very good story that helps the reader begin to understand why the First World War happened, and that's from someone with a firm grasp of history!.
This is excellently researched.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5