Profile for A. Shuffell > Reviews

Content by A. Shuffell

A. Shuffell "Twiggy" (Torquay, England)

A Universe from Nothing
A Universe from Nothing
by Lawrence M. Krauss

5.0 out of 5 stars Cosmology is more romantic than I thought, 18 Jan 2012
I've been waiting for this book to be released since I found the video lecture six months ago I was very excited when I received the book and read it in two days, (I will give the Youtube link in the comments if you don't want to type 'Universe from nothing' and find the richarddawkinsdotnet link). If you have seen the lecture than you have a good idea how great the book is. Much of the information is the same, there is more added. There is much more history of the ideas presented in the book, the first two chapters deal with the history of astronomy and cosmology.

I never expected the book to be as funny as it is: "I like to say that while antimatter may seem strange, it is strange in the sense that Belgians are strange."
Belgians may be an easy target to pick on for humour, and he does a good job picking on religion without distracting from the science. There is a few paragraphs that are directed to atheists about how religion gets in the way of science and thinking in general but it definitely doesn't get in the way. The book is only made stronger for for adding controversy - "Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born" -

I loved his comedy:
"I want to emphasize that this theory is not as trivial as the theological musing of Saint Thomas Aquinas about whether several angels could occupy the same place, an idea that was derided by later theologians as fruitless speculations on how many angels could fit on the point of a needle - or most popularly, on the head of a pin. Aquinas actually answered this question himself by saying that more than one angel could not occupy the same space... And if they were bosonic quantum angels, he would have been wrong in any case."

I recommend watching the video lecture first (if it is still online), if you enjoyed that and want to know more buy the book.