Profile for Booklover > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Womens Rocket Dog Junglegym Sugarflower Pumps in Multi colour - UK 5
Womens Rocket Dog Junglegym Sugarflower Pumps in Multi colour - UK 5

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, 14 Jun 2014
I love Rocket Dog shoes as they are a little bit different from the norm. These are no exception and are fun and comfy. I always find it hard to size them though as the 5 is a bit too small and the 6 is a bit too big. They are also not the most hardwearing of footwear but the cuteness makes up for it all!

Truvia Sweetener Tablets 100 per pack
Truvia Sweetener Tablets 100 per pack
Offered by Cooking Marvellous
Price: 4.69

1.0 out of 5 stars Yuk!, 14 Jun 2014
I really wanted to like these as I can't bear chemical sweeteners but unfortunately these have as bad (if not worse) aftertaste as the chemicals. Shame I couldn't try before I bought!

The Elder Scrolls Online (PC)
The Elder Scrolls Online (PC)
Price: 14.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Not happy, 9 May 2014
I pre ordered and bought this for my son and at that time the description DID NOT say that there would be an ongoing monthly charge. I notice that it now does. As we thought there might be we had searched online to discover if there was a fee and if so what it would be. Nothing came up. If you are able to purchase a game (even if it is in advance of its release) then all of the ongoing fees should be clearly available.

A French Affair
A French Affair
Price: 1.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring and predictable, 4 May 2014
This review is from: A French Affair (Kindle Edition)
I am just about to finish the book after starting only a couple of hours ago. I have read it so quickly not because it is so fantastic that I can't put it down, but rather that it is so dull I am skipping big parts. It has the feel of being written by an inexperienced teenager and I am so pleased that I waited and got it from the library rather than buying it. It is such as shame as Ms Ffordes early books were brilliant and unputdownable. The premise of this book is weak and it does not get any stronger as the book goes on. The characterisation is almost non existent and I had no picture in my head of any of the characters. The setting of an antiques business is not appealing to me and that may also have added to my antipathy about the book. There is absolutely no chemistry built up between the heroine and hero which is such a big part of a chiclit novel and as such their relationship is very unbelievable.

I used to really look forward to a new Katie Fforde book but I fear that I will not be rushing to read the next one.

Rose Blanche
Rose Blanche
by Ian McEwan
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Rose Blanche (Paperback)
I bought Rose Blanche and another Roberto Innocenti book, Erika's Story, to use within my class WW2 topic as I think it is important for children to see how the war affected children in other countries too. Both books have made me cry. Don't think that because they are picture books that they are for small children, in fact they definitely are not.

This book tells the story of Rose Blanche, a German girl living in an unnamed German town. One day she comes across a fence in the woods which contains hungry children. The story doesn't tell us if Rose knows that these children are Jewish and being held in a concentration camp but she decides to help them by bringing them food (despite not having enough food herself).

The book is clever as via the beautiful illustrations it shows the growing disillusionment of the Germans in the town and the eventual liberation of the camp. The colours are muted throughout with splashes of red which is very effective. A must read for anyone interested in the war.

The Far Side of the Sun
The Far Side of the Sun
Price: 5.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly Disappointed, 24 April 2014
I have loved all of Kate Furnivall's books as she has a real talent for creating interesting characters and a sense of time and place within her books. Unfortunately this one just didn't quite hit the mark for me. The descriptions of Nassau in the 1940s are good and you can almost feel the sultry heat however the characters just seem a little flat and I didn't really feel that I got to know them beyond the basics. It is based on a true story and that makes me wonder if Ms Furnivall felt constrained to stick to reality and as a result it feels more like a recount than a novel.

Having said all that, it is an interesting story and one that keeps you guessing right until the end.

Erika's Story
Erika's Story
by Ruth Vander Zee
Price: 5.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Erika's Story (Paperback)
This story is both uplifting and heartbreaking. It is a true story about a jewish baby who was thrown from the train en route to a concentration camp. She was raised by a German family and despite not knowing literally anything about her history has grown up happy and has children and grandchildren of her own now. I have got to read this book to my class in a few weeks but at the moment I can't actually read it out loud without crying! The illustrations are superb and are mainly monochrome with a few touches of colour which is very effective. A must for older children who are studying WW2.

BLACK I-STYLE QUARTZ RUBBER SILICONE SPORTS WATCH UNISEX WITH DATE
BLACK I-STYLE QUARTZ RUBBER SILICONE SPORTS WATCH UNISEX WITH DATE
Offered by AccessoriesBySej
Price: 5.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and Cheerful, 24 April 2014
I bought this watch for my husband to wear to work and at a glance it looks like my (much more expensive) ICE watch. The face is much bigger than the picture implies so really best for a man or if you like a very chunky watch. Unfortunately it stopped working after about 3 weeks. I am hoping that it just requires a new battery...

My Secret War Diary, by Flossie Albright
My Secret War Diary, by Flossie Albright
by Marcia Williams
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 24 April 2014
This is such a beautiful book. I bought it for my Year 5 class and our WW2 topic and after reading the first few pages you could have heard a pin drop! Although I have been reading it to them as a picture book, it really comes into its own when the children get to read it on their own as there are little flaps to lift, letters to read and so much information that it is mind boggling. I would highly recommend this for children and adults alike.

The Unpredictable Consequences of Love
The Unpredictable Consequences of Love
Price: 2.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as usual, 4 Feb 2014
As a long term fan of Jill Mansell I was really looking forward to her new book and actually pre ordered it. All I can say is that I thought it was Okay. Nothing more or less. Her older books always seemed to have my heart pounding as the main characters inched inevitably towards love. This just didn't do that for me. The characters just didn't engage me and the whole book seemed very formulaic.

Don't get me wrong, it is an entertaining enough read but I think that some of the newer writers of chiclit may be starting to overtake the old stalwarts.

This won't put me off buying Jill's books in the future but I will think twice about racing to pre order.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 8, 2014 1:04 AM BST