Profile for honeybunny > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Marta Jonsson Womens Court Shoes 13594 Black 5 UK, 38 EU
Marta Jonsson Womens Court Shoes 13594 Black 5 UK, 38 EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Sorry ladies, 2 Sep 2014
I'm truly sorry for the ladies who found these shoes too small, because they are fantastic shoes. I decided to go for a size up, due to the comments about sizing (I'm a size 4 bought size 5) and they fit fabulously. They look so expensive and are really comfy for a high heel shoe. I wore them all day for work with no pain. I will point out, that I do have quite a slim foot so that may be why they fit. If your feet on quite narrow and you go a size up, these will be fine. Like the other reviewers say, they are a beautiful shoe, and worth getting, but only if they fit!

Bare-Faced Messiah: The True Story of L. Ron Hubbard
Bare-Faced Messiah: The True Story of L. Ron Hubbard

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved reading this account of what must be, 27 July 2014
I loved reading this account of what must be, one of the greatest con men ever! How people fall for this kind of clap trap, I'll never know, neither I imagine, does the author. He tries to be objective in his account, but its clear he thinks Scientology is half baked mumbo jumbo and Hubbard, is a shyster. My belief is the whole Scientology 'religion' is based on the need for its main core members to have power and money, which makes it just the same as any other religion, I suppose! The book is absolutely hilarious at times and I laughed out loud at some of the beleaguered activities of Sea Org. Its hilarious, a real delight to read. But then you remember, its sinister underbelly and its abuse of its members and you realize people may still be suffering under this cult and its 'messengers'....

Russian Journal 1996: Dear Demented Diary
Russian Journal 1996: Dear Demented Diary

1.0 out of 5 stars bonkers, 27 July 2014
Its impossible to make our what genre this book belongs to.The author spent some months in Russia,I established that much,what she went for and what she actually got out of the experience is unclear.The best way of describing this book is the schizoid ramblings of a narcissist.I mean,she descibes her family name as being the nearest thing to American royalty,her illness is genetic because the blue blood line didn't want to mix with others and other bizarre nonsense.I recommend you give this a miss.

Lady Luck and Me
Lady Luck and Me

3.0 out of 5 stars I like the book, 13 July 2014
This review is from: Lady Luck and Me (Kindle Edition)
I like the book, on the whole. I can't help but feel some of the stories had been touched with the hyperbole stick. It was very honest, very raw and personal, and really quite funny at times. I don't think Ben's problems were of a spiritual nature though. I think they were closer to home. His issues with his stepfather/father for example, obviously affected his life. I think he had abandonment issues that psychologically affected him, and could have explained a lot of his chaotic and frankly reckless behaviour as an adult. Perhaps he just needs to sit down with his fractured family and thrash out some of the stuff that still rankles. Or maybe some wounds are too deep. he is a promising writer though, and certainly knows how to engage a reader.

One Step Too Far
One Step Too Far

1.0 out of 5 stars cheap and cheerless, 28 Jan 2014
This review is from: One Step Too Far (Kindle Edition)
Bought this because it was cheap and was almost convinced by the rave reviews, thought I was going to get a superior tale of family drama. What I got was 'chick lit' of the worse kind, clichéd, contrived, and laughably stereotypical. Full of exceedingly implausible characters, who managed to be boring and unlikable in equal measure. Stopped reading properly half way through, though did skip to the nauseous end to see what 'the twist' was, shouldn't have bothered and felt robbed of 38p!

Captive: One House, Three Women and Ten Years in Hell
Captive: One House, Three Women and Ten Years in Hell

2.0 out of 5 stars lame, 13 Jan 2014
A fairly jumbled version of events, in tabloid style writing. Doesn't reveal much at all, i.e. motives behind the sexual capture of the woman, and no accounts from the woman themselves. Wait until the woman's own version of events are published if you want a true and more accurate account.

No Hands To Hold and No Legs To Dance On - A Thalidomide Survivor's Story
No Hands To Hold and No Legs To Dance On - A Thalidomide Survivor's Story

2.0 out of 5 stars Onesided?, 17 Dec 2013
Whilst I fully empathize with the victims, or survivors, of the untested thalidomide drug, I was unable to warm to the author of this account. She certainly had horrendous experiences growing up in an institution rather than in her own home and her parents apparent rejection of her, does seem harsh and inexplicable. I think there are some clues as to why this happened along the way though. Louise admits she could be difficult to live with, was she too 'difficult' for her parents to cope with? Were her parents unable to reconcile themselves with the fact they had such a severely disabled daughter? Some wounds are so deep they can even overcome the unconditional love we are supposed to have for our kids. I would have liked to hear her parents account to achieve some balance to the story. There is no doubt though, that she showed courage and determination to conquer her limitations, but I can't help but feel there is more to this story than is being revealed. Maybe its just me...
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2014 8:54 PM BST

Shamed: The Honour Killing That Shocked Britain - by the Sister Who Fought for Justice

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart stopping, 28 Sep 2013
An amazing account of carrying out the practice of 'family honour' and the devastating consequences. This practice is really quite unbelievable from a westerners eyes and this book portrays and drastically illustrates the limits and lack of power, that women from some culture's experience.
Family honour has nothing to with 'family pride', or religion, its another patriarchal mechanism to keep women in control it is archaic and does not sit well with the modern world.
Thankfully, we have women like the author, who was willing to stick by her humanistic principles ( that transcend culture and religion) and give us this very personal account of female oppression. I want to congratulate the author for being so brave, her bravery will not go unnoticed, and maybe she will inspire others in this position, I truly hope so.

Lamaze Activity Knot
Lamaze Activity Knot

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 28 Sep 2013
Totally engages a new baby, and will increase their dexterity skills over time. Eye catching and fun. Love Lamaze products, they really help to bring on and develop baby's awareness and skills.

Baby Touch: First Focus Cot Book
Baby Touch: First Focus Cot Book
by Ladybird
Edition: Rag Book

4.0 out of 5 stars Early education, 28 Sep 2013
My daughter has this book as a temporary bumper in my 2 month old granddaughters cot, and has noticed my granddaughter is totally transfixed by the images. As an old fashioned sort, I didn't believe in the science behind the idea of monochrome/one bright colour images being able to engage a young baby, but its true, babies are fascinated by these images and I would also recommend similar books for all young babies.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10