Profile for DonnaC > Reviews

DonnaC (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Loving the White Liar
Loving the White Liar

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars!! Fantastic love story, even if we are imperfect we deserve it, 27 July 2015
Loving the White Liar by Kate Stewart
4.5 stars!!

“This is not my sob story; this is his success story.”

To say this was an emotional, beautiful book is a severe understatement. This book is about a woman who is desperately looking for love and a man that fears he will never find it and doesn’t deserve it. But also, this book is about how true love wins, no matter the adversities and the crap that life throws at you, that everyone deserves their chance at happiness no matter how little they feel they don’t. That there is someone out there for everyone and once you find them...you know and no matter the struggles...you keep them...you fight for them....fight for the both of you. This book is emotional and heartfelt, but such a beautiful, beautiful love story.

“Life was short, friends were important, but snot cry friends were for life.”

Hilary is lost is more ways than one, she doesn’t know what to do, work and her love life are dead ends, so she decides that she is going to take stock of herself, firstly...her job. Handing in her notice at her waitressing job was the beginning for Hilary, finally feeling like she is taking the first step of her life. The next step comes when she crosses paths with one of her neighbours, Jayden. Maybe Hilary’s life is finally gathering momentum?

“In the end the love you take is equal to the love you make.”

Jayden, Jayden, Jayden...to say that I loved this guy is a severe understatement. Jayden has ADHD and as he has found out, this affliction is not conducive to successful relationships with the opposite sex, so he has resigned himself to a life of loneliness and I have to say, my heart truly broke for him. He was handsome, he was romantic, he was attentive, but he also had his moments where ADHD changed him, his episodes are where he loses himself and more often than not, loses the women that allegedly love him.

These two had chemistry, from the first moment they meet you could feel the sizzle but these two become friends first and Hilary soon recognises that Jayden is different, but rather than run away, Hilary perseveres. She treasures their friendship, she loves their relationship and she believes that Jayden deserves more...she wants more and she will fight for more.

“I told you loving me wasn’t easy, Hil...”
“It’s so easy to love you, Jayden. Too easy. It’s only hard when you won’t let me.”

Hilary didn’t see Jayden as the ADHD sufferer; she never let his condition define him. She looked for the person underneath, she loved the person underneath, she saw through his flaws. Jayden was upfront from the beginning and Hilary does her homework and so the hardest love story begins.

“This was the man I loved. All of him, the parts that worked and the ones that didn’t work for him, I loved all of him completely.”

This is a story of true love, that all-encompassing love, that soul mate kind of love. Where flaws are mere speed bumps, they are there to go over and sometimes slow you down. Where working together is imperative and being honest is of vital importance. Where learning to bend and learning to adapt works both ways, but first and foremost love conquers all. Everybody deserves a shot at love, everybody needs to be loved and love needs to be nurtured and treasured and to never take it for granted. I loved that this was a “real” love story, we are not all perfect but that doesn’t make us any less worthy. Kate Stewart always manages to deliver something different and that is what I love about this book. Yes it was different but it was honest, it was raw, it was powerful. I lived it, I breathed it but most importantly, I loved it.

Against the Tide
Against the Tide

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars!! Love/hate is a fine line but Nikki Groom pulled it off with some fab chemistry, 25 July 2015
This review is from: Against the Tide (Kindle Edition)
Against the Tide by Nikki Groom
3.5 stars!!

“I’m done fighting against the tide, it’s time to move with it.”

I do love a love/hate relationship and this one is a good one, all that pent up aggression and frustration just spills over into some of the hottest and most passionate scenes whereby you cannot help but go PHEW! Nikki Groom really captures that sentiment in this book and what I loved the most was that you knew deep down that these two actually fancied the pants off each other and really they were incredibly well suited. In this book it is circumstances and situations that fuel that love/hate, whereas if they had met another time or another place you knew that things would have progressed totally differently.

Megan works at a tattoo parlour and has been with her boyfriend for five years but he does his thing and she does hers, even though they are “together” they are not really and have not been for quite a while. These two have drifted apart and their ideals and aspirations are totally opposite from one another. Megan knows that it is time to move on but he is not an easy man to get away from. One night though all that changes, Megan is finally given the kick that she needs to make that break and this is also the same night that she finally gets to speak to the man that has captured her attention for the past few months…their eyes have always found each others and that is as far as it has gone…but that night…club…alleyway…HOT!!

“…I don’t know who stole your fun, but I’m going to give it back to you.”

Finn is a mechanic and to be honest his life is a bit of a mess at the moment, he spends all his waking moments trying to look after his terminally ill mum and his little sister. He does anything and everything he can to keep his mum and sister comfortable; they are his main focus in life. On the rare nights when he unwinds he goes to a club, this is THE club where he sees her…their eyes always connect as if they seek each other of their own accord. There is something about her, something that cannot keep his eyes away, but she has always been an enigma, someone he looks at but never touches, never talks to, but he wants to.

“…it’s like he sings in a pitch that only I can hear. I know he’s there before I see him…”

Their paths cross and this is where this story really begins and from this point I cannot say anything more, you need to read it and experience it for yourself. This book does contain plots that revolve around drug abuse in the beginning and the fall out thereafter.

I have to say I was hooked while reading this book, the song and dance and push and pull was perfectly written capturing that will they won’t they feeling as their story progresses. I felt their chemistry and it oozed off the page and it is this that has you championing these two from the beginning. There is a fair amount of drama and angst but at no time did I feel it was too much. It all had its purpose. I loved the secondary characters as well, Kyle and Harley had me itching for their story, especially Harley, and I bet his will be a hoot if the author takes that route. Torran was also an enigma; I want to know more about him too…I am sure that secretly he has a bit of a crush on Megan.

“I’d choose you in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred different worlds.”

For me, this would have been a solid 4 star read had I not felt it was rushed at the end and while I loved the epilogue I felt that it still left some doors open and I didn’t really feel that their story had come full circle. This maybe because it will be continued in the other characters stories?? I just felt a bit empty at the end. But overall I loved it and I hope that their will be more from this series. I loved that it was set in the UK and loved the typically British dialogue. This was my first read by Nikki Groom and it won’t be my last.

Out of Time (Nine Minutes Book 2)
Out of Time (Nine Minutes Book 2)

2.0 out of 5 stars 2.5 stars! - unfortunately this was overdone and unbelievable for me, so disappointed, 24 July 2015
Out of Time (Nine Minutes Book 2) by Beth Flynn
2.5 stars!!

“…laying down your king meant you resigned the game; you were acknowledging your opponent’s win. It was an admission of defeat. Of surrender. Was Grizz sending a message from the grave? Was he admitting defeat?”

Anyone who knows me will know how much I rant and raved about Nine Minutes, I loved that book with a passion, it was raw, it was honest, it was unique and that is what I loved the most. I have to say I had extremely high expectations coming into Out of Time; I could not wait to read it and had been impatiently counting down the days. If Nine Minutes was a debut book, imagine what Out of Time would be like…I was so excited.

So after getting over the initial OMG it’s here and taking deep breaths, I dived into Out of Time…even at 10% I knew that this was a totally different book and was beginning to scratch my head. This book reads nothing like Nine Minutes, the author’s voice is so different; the things that I loved above were seemingly no longer present. It was as if a different person had written it, whether Beth Flynn has been influenced by others or maybe the book has been heavily edited, but that uniqueness that I loved and craved in Nine Minutes was gone and I was gutted.

“He never once considered how you would feel when that sinkhole, or should I say stinkhole, started to swallow you up.”

I have to admit that I struggled to read this one, I had lost that character connection and anyone that knows me also knows that is what I love and crave the most in a book. I have to believe in those characters, I have to empathise with them and as much as this motley crew were embedded in my heart after Nine Minutes that connection dissolved throughout Out of Time.

The more I read the more disillusioned I became and it pains me to say it. While I loved getting their back stories and finding out how Grizz came to be and even how Tommy’s life started, the plot devices that were used in the past and present were totally distracting. Some things just didn’t add up, anything that could happen…did happen and there were so many unbelievable plot devices and coincidences that I just began to roll my eyes and that is when I know a book has lost me. It was just too much. For me it just seemed overdone and over the top. There was so much superfluous content it became a struggle to figure out what I needed to know and what the author wanted to camouflage. I know that this is make believe and these are fictional characters but it still has to be somewhat believable, after all this is not a fantasy book or a paranormal read.

“Are we the good guys or the bad guys?”
“We’re whoever the eff we want to be, kid.”

I hardly ever DNF and I always give a book a chance to redeem itself and because I was patiently waiting to see if what I thought would happen after Nine Minutes actually did I read until the end. This does have a cliff hanger ending and there is a book three. I will be reading book three as this story is still not finished; I want to see what happens going forward I just only hope that Beth Flynn finds her originality once again.

“The dark king is gone. Can’t play without the king. Right…”

I am willing to go into detail and say what didn’t work for me, but they would all be spoilers so I am not going to post them on here but I am up for a discussion with anyone that wants to know. I very very rarely give a less than positive review and it breaks my heart to do it but I always pride myself on being honest and I have to say what I felt. I review from the heart, always have and always will and for me my integrity is always at the forefront, I will not change.

The Shortstop
The Shortstop

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars of a fantastic friends to lovers story with its own drop of angst, 22 July 2015
This review is from: The Shortstop (Kindle Edition)
The Shortstop by AM Madden
4.5 stars!!

“The only two people on earth who had the power to crush me have chosen to exercise that power.”

This was my first read by AM Madden and it certainly won’t be my last, the blurb had me at childhood sweethearts and baseball...I was sold.

These two characters had one of those forever friendships and their lives had progressed with each other at the forefront of each other’s thoughts and actions, these two were inseparable. After becoming neighbours at five years old they became friends, then they became best friends and then finally they became lovers. Having spent most of their life together they truly epitomised the words “soul mates.” They knew each other inside out, they could read each other like a book, they knew each other’s idiosyncrasies, they knew each other’s likes and dislikes but most of all, they had that all-compassing love, together they were blinkered, they only had eyes and love for each other.

Annie was such a beautiful character inside and out. She was really sweet, loyal, loving, giving and totally supportive of Quint. She had followed his baseball career since the beginning and was also his biggest and most vocal cheerleader. Quint though was quite sensible, rather than going pro while still at college he decided to get his degree first and then see what baseball had to offer when the time was right for him and Annie, it didn’t take long for Quint to get the opportunity of a life time.

“Of course, I know he loves me. But I always wonder if it came down to baseball or me, which would he choose?”

Quint was baseball bred through and through, he idolised the sport and loved playing it and he was darn good at it too. Once again AM Madden had created the perfect character with Quint, he was adorable, his love and passion for Annie was off the charts, he worshipped her and idolised her, he put her first and foremost but he was also a total upstanding kind of guy. He was so romantic you couldn’t help but swoon; these two really were the perfect couple.

“Every move he makes is synchronized, reactive. The music that moves him comes in the form of the loud crack of a bat when it makes contact with a ball...or the hissing of air as a ball shoots towards him. He makes it look artistic and choreographed. Watching my man playing baseball is awe-inspiring ...and hot as hell.”

Life always throws its curveballs and this couple had a huge one to contend with. Sometimes what life throws at us can either make us or break us and this was the kind of struggle that this couple now had to deal with. We all deal with life’s challenges differently, but with love and good support network you can overcome most things. Quint and Annie had the biggest support network but will that be enough?

“The ache I feel for her outmeasures any physical pain I’ve endured. It’s a million times more painful.”

This book was perfectly balanced with lots of love, friendships and steam balanced with its fair share of angst, emotion and turmoil. This book had me running the gamut of emotions with both tears of happiness and sorrow. You couldn’t help but connect with these characters and when they hurt I hurt and when they loved I loved, this is testament to AM Maddens writing prowess because she truly brought these characters to life. I have read so many sports related books now in this genre but with this book I actually felt I was there, I was in the stadium, I was watching the game, I was supporting and cheering along with the next person, I was totally wrapped up in this book and I couldn’t put it down. I love it when an author manages to do that through the magic of words, it is an extremely powerful talent.

“You and I are solid. Tornados can easily destroy a weak foundation that wasn’t built to withstand it. I dare anyone to try and take us down.”

I cannot wait to read another book from this author, if this is a sign of things to come; I may only have time to come up for air.

Flash Point
Flash Point

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars! Fantastic debut, romantic suspense with a twist I never saw coming, 18 July 2015
This review is from: Flash Point (Kindle Edition)
Flash Point by Brooke Blaine
4.5 stars!!

“It was the first rule in the handbook: “Thou shalt not have effing relations with a client, current or former.”

Well, where do I start…this book was a romantic suspense, while I have experienced Brooke Blaine’s writing before with The Desperate Man series that she co-authored with Ella Frank, this is Brooke Blaine’s debut novel, written solely and exclusively by herself, however, you would never know by reading it. This book was well though out, well developed, with some amazing twists that I never saw coming, it read accomplished and it was so addictive, I couldn’t put it down.

Katherine was at Uni having just had a year off visiting relatives in the UK, she needed to get away from it all. Her dad was a judge and had dealt with some high profile cases, none more so than the one that led to the death of his wife and the death that Katherine witnessed first hand. Katherine is plagued by nightmares of that night, having felt so defenceless and helpless and knowing that her mother died trying to save her from the same fate. This incident also led to the demise of her relationship with her father so she seemingly lost both parents that night. So when it comes to the culprits having their time in court, old memories are dredged up and with the death penalty on the table, revenge is the name of the game.

“…and since you regret so much that it was her they killed instead of me, let me assure you…I feel the same way about you.”

Katherine’s life is now in danger once again and now she needs 24/7 protection, something that she is hesitant to have and fights against. However, they manage to compromise and she can still stay at Uni as long as she keeps at least one of her two bodyguards with her at all times.

Jason is one of Katherine’s two bodyguards and he is a bit of an enigma himself, on first meeting he is quiet, reserved, professional and extremely guarded, however Katherine finds herself attracted to that side of him. Trying to get him to crack at least a smile became her mission on a daily basis, even to get him to talk would be a good thing. Jason though was stoically professional, he went by the letter of the law and his sole focus was to keep Katherine safe and alive. He wouldn’t deviate from his mission, having been in the SEAL’s he was a consummate professional, but even the hardest shells can be cracked?

“Katherine was a temptation he didn’t need and a distraction he couldn’t afford.”

Katherine wanted Jason in her bed, she hadn’t felt a connection to a man in a long time and she couldn’t hide her feelings around him, she used everything in her power to get him to crack, but he was a stubborn devil. The chemistry that these two had was off the charts and the slow build up in their friendship and relationship had you totally invested in these two characters. This is testament to Brooke Blaine’s writing as it is hard to get that across in words, but you felt as if these characters were your friends and you were privy to and living the awful situation that they found themselves in.

“She was his every fantasy come true, one he hadn’t even allowed himself to consider before, and now that he’d tasted her, he couldn’t get her out of his mind.”

The build up to this story will have you on the edge of your seat, with threats coming from all sides and with Katherine’s ballsy attitude at times leading her to make some stupid decisions, but at the end of the day it is this build up that will have your jaw dropping when the mother of all twists is delivered. I have to say I did not see it coming and actually had to re-read it to make sure I did actually read what I thought I had read. This was genius from the author…it worked, really, really well.

My only niggle is as usual, I wanted more at the end, while this book ended in a good place, it was really just the beginning of another episode of their lives. I am hoping that their story is continued going forward as I would love to see what happens between these two, so I can see another begging message coming on. I understand that there is another story in the works with one of the other characters so maybe we can catch up with these two in that…at least that is what I am hoping.

Kudos to Brooke Blaine on delivering an all-consuming story, that has the writing, the plot, the suspense, the angst, the chemistry and that all important love story that will have you frantically turning the pages. Fantastic debut and I cannot wait to read more from this author.

With A Twist (Bad Habits Book 1)
With A Twist (Bad Habits Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab friends to lovers story, loved it, 16 July 2015
With A Twist by Staci Hart
4 stars!!!

“Sacrificing satin and leather, one concerto at a time.”

I was first introduced to Staci Hart through her Hardcore series which I absolutely loved. I have to admit that series caught my eye because of the amazing covers and once again, I love the cover that Staci has chosen to adorn With A Twist. Once I find an author that I love I don’t tend to read blurbs, I just dive in and that was the case with this, so I was pleasantly surprised that this was a contemporary romance. This book also ticked a lot of boxes for me, I am a sucker for friends to lovers and I love romantic comedy and this was the perfect blend for me, we had the anticipation, the friends, the eureka moment, humour, heat and just that feel good factor that leaves you with the warm and fuzzies at the end.

Lily was a ballet dancer for the New York ballet and was a beautiful character inside and out. She didn’t have time for relationships due to her working and training schedule and she always felt that she was missing out, however, her dancing was her world and their was no way that she would compromise for the sake of a man.

“Your feet are the only visible sign of your love for ballet. Every mark, every callus and wound is a symbol of your pain, of thousands of hours of sweat, blood and work. You call them ugly. I call them art.”

West was a teaching assistant for a professor of English Lit, he was hoping to be accepted in the Doctorate programme. Not only was West super smart, but again, we had another beautiful character, both inside and out. West had always filled his time with meaningless relationships and I use that term lightly, more like f buddies. He was not interested in long term and was more intent on finishing his studies than anything else.

Lily and West had a great friendship, even though they were the opposite sex they told each other everything, watched meaningless TV together and had the most open and hilarious conversations. But even in the beginning they were like an old married couple. The only people that couldn’t see it were Lily and West.

“You make sense. Like, I see the two of you talking or touching, and it’s just right…you make your own magic, like you run on the same frequency. How is it that you haven’t been attracted to him the whole time?”

These two had firmly friend-zoned each other, both fearing the loss of their friendship over a relationship, although for the longest time, neither one of them saw the other as a potential romantic interest. It takes for Lily to find a boyfriend to drive West into actually realising and admitting his true feelings, both to himself, his friends and eventually Lily.

“…she’s blinded by his douchesparkle.”

My only niggle with this read was that for the majority of the book they were friends and were working through other relationships or their own issues, I would have liked a bit more of them as a couple. However, I see the potential for the other characters in this book to have their own and I am hoping that we will see more of Lily and West through these.

“Baby, I’ll eat brussel sprouts for you.”

The secondary characters in this book had a huge part to play and none were superfluous to the overall content and flow of the book, they were all pivotal one way or another and Lily and West’s close circle of friends were more family than friends. It was this familial friendship that really gelled these characters together and had you rooting for all of them throughout and it is also this character connection that endears them all to you.

“May your endings be happy and your habits be bad.”

As I said above, this was perfectly balanced with friendships, love, drama, a little angst but most of all a huge dose of Staci Hart humour. It is this that keeps those pages turning and for me made this a book that I read in one sitting. I really hope Staci Hart develops this series further as I want to know more about all of these characters going forward. Also, at the end of the day this man has a beard, a man-bun and he reads and watches the Notebook too, so what more could a person want…

“Part of me wants to do something horrible to pay her back, like put magnesium in her water bottle so she’ll s*** her leotard during rehearsal, or at least get a solid shart in.”

Not You It's Me
Not You It's Me

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars!! Funny and romantic, was a great read, 11 July 2015
This review is from: Not You It's Me (Kindle Edition)
Not You It’s Me by Julie Johnson
3.5 stars!!

“He’s the embodiment of composure; I’m the epitome of chaos.”

This is one of those books where the blurb just pulls you in. Most of us have probably all seen that viral You Tube video of where the jumbotron pans the crowd and the couples have to kiss, then you get that one dude who ignores his girlfriend while prattling on his phone, the crowd goes wild, booing and hissing and then the girl is saved when the guy sitting next to her reaches over and gives her a kiss instead…a knight in shining armour. Well this is how this book starts and I have to say, I loved it.

“For the possibility of something truly wonderful. Because a life without hope, without love…that’s really no life at all.”

Gemma has her own issues to deal with and relationships are not her forte, for some reason she always manages to pick frogs and even when she kisses them, they do not turn into princes. She has abandonment issues and the way that she was brought up doesn’t help, so perhaps her outlook on relationships isn’t the best either. But I loved her as a character, she was an artist, she was funny, she was clumsy, she had a knack of getting into trouble without even trying but this only made her all the more endearing.

“Because you aren’t built for deceit or lies or darkness. I’m shadow and you’re sunshine. You’re not like me. You’re just…different.”

Chase Croft is a man who has a mountain of issues himself. His family are dysfunctional, competitive, irrational and just generally, awful people, yet somehow they are billionaires and now with his Uncle having to retire he has had to come out of hiding to take over the family business. The press have wondered where he has been for the past five years so when he appears on screen on a jumbotron kissing a woman the world goes wild and life these two people will never be the same again.

“My world - it’s monochrome. Black and white. But you…you’re painted in every shade on the palette. You’re screaming color. A effing rainbow.”

I have to say that this was a fantastic premise for a book, I loved the way they met and as the cat and mouse began with these two I was itching for them to succeed. I felt sorry for both of them, their parents and families having such a negative effect on their outlook on life and romance in general, they were both missing out on so much. These two were total opposites yet they had more in common than you would ever imagine and it was obvious that there was that spark, but neither were looking and yet sometimes those sparks burst into flames and together their flames roared.

“Take a risk on messy. Live fearlessly. Love recklessly. Most of all, just love.”

Julie Johnson did fantastically well bringing these characters to life, both of them wormed their way into my heart and I was championing them all the way. The banter between them had me in hysterics at times and it is this melded with some serious issues that really balanced this book. Yes they have their fair share of angst as any new relationship would have and what with this being the first real relationship for both of them you knew they were going to make mistakes, but it never came across as too much. It was understandable and relatable.

“He didn’t stay…no one ever stays.”

This would have been a solid 4-4.5 star for me, but I just felt towards the end the plot just ran away a bit, it got a bit silly and a tad unbelievable and so much was crammed in, in so few pages, my brain struggled to keep up. Overall though, I really enjoyed it, I laughed a lot and even teared up a few times. So for anyone wanting an easy read that will make you chuckle then I highly recommend it.

“He loves me, and it breaks my heart…in the exact way it needs to be broken.”

Ricochet
Ricochet

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark and distrurbing yet emotional and hopeful, fab read from Keri Lake, 9 July 2015
This review is from: Ricochet (Kindle Edition)
Ricochet by Keri Lake
4 stars!!

“The Reaper’s got your number tonight...Scream if you want. Ain’t nobody gonna save you.”

This was my first read by Keri Lake and it certainly won’t be my last. This book captivates you from the beginning and the author does a fantastic job of pulling you in to this great dark, gripping story. This is more your dark, romantic suspense type read. It is violent and is not for the faint of heart and those scenes are described in vivid detail, but for me this wasn’t gratuitous; it enhanced the story and gave a deeper understanding to the internal rumblings of Nick Ryder. This is certainly not your hearts and flowers read and you may read through one eye for some of it...you have been warned.

Nick Ryder was the epitome of the perfect husband and family man until a tragedy left him a shell of the person he once was...now he lived for revenge, years of planning, years of pain, years of anguish had finally culminated to this...it was time.

“Every scar told a story, but it was the ones we didn’t want others to see that told a truth.”

Detroit was a city full of corruption, full of crime and you never knew who you could trust or who was in whose pocket. Aubree Culling was the wife of the extremely corrupt Mayor Michael Culling. He was the epitome of evil, using his authority to wreak havoc on Detroit for financial gain. Michael Culling treated his wife as a whore and a punching bag and as much as she had tried to leave all her attempts had been thwarted. Michael Culling was however at the top of Nick Ryder’s hit list and Aubree becomes a pawn in this deadly game. An eye for an eye...a tooth for a tooth.

Nick Ryder was destroyed, everything he loved and cherished was taken from him, he had a huge case of survivor’s guilt. But the good thing about being “dead” is that you have free reign to exact your revenge and this something that he has been planning for years with the assistance of computer expert, Alec. Nick was highly motivated, highly controlled and extremely focused, his mind firmly set on his end goal, even if things do not necessarily go according to plan. Keri Lake really tugs at your heart strings in this book as you feel every ounce of his pain, it breaks your heart, it isn’t pretty and you cannot help but be overcome with emotion when you learn exactly what Nick has been through and what he is currently living through.

“I saw darkness in her beauty, and she saw beauty in my darkness. Yin and yang. Black and white. Beauty and scars; fury and forgiveness...”

While the way he goes about things is far from legal, you understand that this is his only option. With corrupt law enforcement he couldn’t rely on anyone but himself and this was something that he just couldn’t let slide, he couldn’t rest until it was done. Sometimes though, people are not who they seem, their stories are not what the press portray and sometimes just sometimes your biggest foe can suddenly become your greatest ally.

“So long I sought retribution, and in Aubree, I found redemption.”

This book is not all violence though, it is perfectly balanced with some smoking hot sex scenes and once again the emotions are prevalent throughout. Two broken souls...but two that were so perfect for each other they brought out the best in each other, they soothe each other’s cuts and patch up each other’s brokenness.

“Apart, we were nothing more than two broken halves, but together, our jagged edges fit perfectly, sealed into something whole again. In the end, he saved me, and in return, I saved him. Eye for an eye, heart for a heart.”

I was consumed by this book, Nick’s story broke me, and Keri Lake’s writing is so evocative you cannot help but live and breathe this story. My only little niggle was the twist didn’t really work for me and I had seen it coming, but that didn’t detract from my enjoyment of this story. It’s ugly, it’s violent, it’s full or sorrow, but it is also full of hope and it was that glimmer that keeps you hoping for that happy ever after. Fantastic book and one that I can highly recommend.

Manwhore +1 (The Manwhore Series Book 2)
Manwhore +1 (The Manwhore Series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great conclusion to Saint and Rachel's story, 8 July 2015
Manwhore + 1 (Manwhore #2) by Katy Evans
5 stars!!

“You’re the only heaven I will ever know, Rachel...and if you were a hell, I’d sin my whole life just to stay with you.”

Malcolm Kyle Preston Logan Saint, gah this man, I just love him, that is the one thing synonymous with a Katy Evans book and that is she always writes lovable characters. It was no secret he was a player in his time but it took one woman to knock him off his feet and he hasn’t been the same since. After the ending of Manwhore I was afraid, these two were obviously meant to be together, they fitted, they clicked, they complemented each other, but after that ending could Saint forgive, or would he forget?

To say I have been on tenterhooks would be an understatement, what would Saint do? What would Rachel do? Did Saint see Rachel’s article? Katy Evans left us in limbo so I was itching to read this book; I needed to be put out of my misery.

“There’s always something beautiful breeding in the darkness and the pain.”

We all know the main trait that Saint needs in those close to him is trust. It is the one thing he insists upon, it is the most important thing to Saint and Rachel blew it in Manwhore. Even if Rachel were to see him again would she be able to rebuild what she demolished? Rachel is extremely remorseful, she cannot believe that she so royally screwed up, but at the end of the day she was stuck between a rock and a hard place. Her intentions were good, but the s*** hit the fan before she had a chance to explain.

Saint has his ways of keeping an eye on Rachel and then he comes up with an offer that Rachel shouldn’t refuse (work related) but Rachel needs more, she wanted what they had in the past and to be near him and not have him was totally incomprehensible. You felt Rachel’s pain in this book but I loved that she still stood up for herself no matter how much she was hurting. She knew what she wanted and she wouldn’t settle for anything less...she couldn’t.

“Saint is offering me...the world. But a world without him is nothing now.”

This book was Katy Evans at her best, she always writes real relationships. The mistakes, the misunderstandings, the reconciliations, but she makes her characters work for them. I felt their pain, their reticence but I also felt their love. Despite everything, these two were truly made for each other and even though everything tells Saint to steer clear, he cannot help himself. For him Rachel is like a siren and his siren is calling.

“I’m human and flawed and hopeful and afraid and strong and weak and independent – and in love with him in a way I’m sure they are not. I’m proud to be who I am. I’m proud of where I stand.”

This book had everything, the emotions, the sizzle, the spark; the lightening...Katy Evans knows how to write a sex scene and these two light up the sky at night. It is that intense connection and chemistry that makes you fall in love with her characters, you just can’t help yourself. You champion them, you root for them and you want them to succeed. While on paper they shouldn’t work, they just do. Opposites do attract and these two were like magnets, even though they were poles apart in the beginning that magnetism just brought them back together.

“You’re like a spark, Rachel, all I need is to breathe on you and you catch fire.”

This book is not just about Saint and Rachel though, we finally get to understand a bit more about Saint’s background and in particular his father. He really is the scum of the earth and has no qualms about scraping the bottom of the barrel with his business ethics. After reading about him it just goes to show how Saint is definitely not his father’s son. He has learned the hard way and it is easy to see why he insists on being his father’s opposite.

“The hardest things to do are sometimes the ones that prove most meaningful, but not necessarily the ones we remember most fondly.”

This was a great conclusion to Saint and Rachel’s story and I adored the epilogue. Once again Katy has delivered a great story with amazing characters and I cannot wait for what she delivers next.

Unblocked - Episode Four (Timber Towers Series Book 4)
Unblocked - Episode Four (Timber Towers Series Book 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic instalment in the fast paced, sexy serial, 7 July 2015
Unblocked – Episode Four (Timber Towers #4)

“I want to give you all of me.”

Unfortunately this series is drawing to a close, this is the penultimate instalment and after reading I really do not want this series to end. Sometimes an author has that knack of endearing her characters to you and this is one classic example.

Over the months I have become extremely attached to Derek and Frankie and as their story comes to its conclusion Marni Mann does not tamper down the pace. The suspense aspect is ramping up full throttle, lots of questions are answered but quite a few still remain keeping you well and truly invested in this story. Not one of these instalments has been a filler and all have had a very important part to play.

“I wanted her skin under my lips, her scent filling my nose. I needed to taste my pink ivory.”

In this instalment we delve a bit deeper into Derek’s past and we do find out the driving force behind his and Hayden’s insistence on bringing Randy down. But the past has a nasty habit of bringing problems with it and this episode is no different.

Frankie really finds herself in a quandary in this instalment, she is constantly battling her conscience between work and a relationship...could she actually have both? I wanted to bash her sometimes in this instalment, for a confident woman sometimes she just did not believe in herself and after everything she has worked for she really needed to look in the mirror and see herself for the amazingly strong person she actually was.

“Yes, I want you, Frankie – more than I’ve ever wanted anyone. I think about you; I hunger for you. I’m weakened by you. I don’t believe you have to make a choice.”

The hot tub scene...OMG...Marni Mann always delivers those scenes and as usual this one doesn’t disappoint, my only niggle was that I wanted more!! Not often I scream for more of those scenes! These two have such an intense connection that I love it when we get to see that side of their relationship and when Frankie is in flannel you cannot help but melt.

I cannot wait for Episode 5, this is one of the best serials I have read so far, each instalment has been captivating and delivered quickly, no long waits between reads. I cannot wait to see where Marni Mann takes this going forward. Although it is bittersweet, as much as I want to read it, I really do not want their story to end.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20