Profile for Dee > Reviews

Dee (UK)

You Had Me At Hello
You Had Me At Hello

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy and absorbing read, 3 Jan. 2013
There must be many books based on chance meetings between two long-lost friends with a mysterious history, but You Had Me At Hello manages to never feel contrived. It is written skilfully - McFarlane has an excellent way with words - and with great humour. Initially, I was drawn to the book by its setting. The story feels firmly rooted in Manchester, with references to the toaster rack building on Oxford Road and Affleck's Palace. The supporting characters are also fantastic. Each feels like an individual, with those that you love to love and those you love to hate. Highly recommended.

Oxford Blood (The Cavaliers Series: Book One): An adult vampire romance trilogy (The Cavaliers Trilogy 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Has potential..., 3 Jan. 2013
I downloaded this book when it was free based on the strength of the handful of reviews (and, admittedly, the cover of the book). There are interesting nuggets of vampire lore buried in the back story, such as how immortal creatures stay in positions of power in the internet age, and the different kinds of vampires, created during the Civil War to fight on opposing sides. (I also loved that, as a Northerner, Harriet had to remember to say dinner, not tea!)

However, I struggled to like Harriet, a character whose main motivation it seemed was to go to Oxford to climb up the social ladder and snag herself a perfect boyfriend. I would have liked a more rounded lead character that I could really root for so that the romantic aspect - a love triangle between two vampires - had more depth.

There are glimpses of a well-thought-out and imaginative world where we have been manipulated by vampires for centuries, which I hope receives further attention in the following books.

GOOGLE NEXUS 7 HIGH QUALITY TOUCH SCREEN STYLUS by SUPERGETS® case - black
GOOGLE NEXUS 7 HIGH QUALITY TOUCH SCREEN STYLUS by SUPERGETS® case - black
Offered by Cut Price Accessories

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stylus for general use, 27 Nov. 2012
The stylus works largely as hoped. The rounded rubber tip feels large and is very pliable, but on-screen selection seems accurate.

However, it can feel rather slow to respond, such as when drawing or annotating photos, which may be something to consider if this is the intended use. Also, an occasional issue arises when using the internet (at least with Chrome). The swipe across the screen to scroll the page sometimes registers as a double tap, causing the page to zoom in rather than move.

Whilst cheap looking and occasionally frustrating, at this price I will buy again. Despite its issues, for general use it is a good buy, though may be less suitable for more speciality uses.

[Used with a Nexus 7 tablet and HTC Desire S.]

EasyAcc UltraSlim Google Nexus 7 Case Smart Cover with Multiple Stand / Auto Sleep Wake-up for Nexus 7 Tablet ASUS 8GB/16GB (PU Leather, Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy case that ticks all the boxes, enhances Nexus 7 use, very reasonable price, 27 Nov. 2012
After several weeks of usage, I have found that it delivers everything I was after in a case:
- the cover over the screen feels sturdy and hard wearing
- all of the corners are protected
- even with the added bulk, the Nexus still feels comfortable to hold
- when folded to form the stand it is stable and the screen is presented at a nice viewing angle - unexpectedly useful when watching videos or when using to play music

The design means that all of the buttons are easy to press, and it is easy to insert the charger. A disadvantage of this is that the edges of the Nexus are exposed, though I have yet to find a reasonably priced alternative that will protect the edges, corners and the screen equally well.

Whilst the auto-wake feature isn't something I initially thought I would require, it's actually both nifty and useful. (Some other cases have had issues with accidentally locking the screen when the case is folded back on itself, but I have had no such issues.)

Overall, the case fits snugly and does a good job of protecting the screen, and I feel like it will handle any knocks to the corners. Thanks to this case I am comfortable carrying my Nexus around in my bag with my purse etc., but I do check that there are no coins or small objects that will scratch the edges. A great buy.