Profile for D. ANDREWS > Reviews

D. ANDREWS "gamebuff"

Page: 1 | 2
Samsung SE-208DB/TSBS Slim Portable External USB 2.0 DVDRW - Black
Samsung SE-208DB/TSBS Slim Portable External USB 2.0 DVDRW - Black
Offered by Entrepôt électronique!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 20 Jun. 2014
Works very well so far and doesn't seem to require a high-powered USB port either, so you can use it on the go freely.

Patuoxun Thunderbolt Port Mini Displayport To VGA Display Port Adapter Cable for Apple Mac Macbook Pro Air iMac
Offered by Patox

5.0 out of 5 stars Served me well, 20 Jun. 2014
I needed one quickly for a conference - this one was cheap and worked well with a mid-2011 Macbook Air.

GENUINE ORIGINAL SONY ADAPTER FOR SONY VAIO VGP-AC19V43 19.5V 3.3A CHARGER POWER SUPPLY
Offered by AJPARTS UK LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly so far, 20 Jun. 2014
For some reason voltage converters tend to go quite quickly on laptops (i.e. just after the 1-2 year warranty period), but this replacement seems well made and has been cheaper than forking out extra for an extended warranty.

Tech Armor Microsoft Surface 2 / 2 Pro Anti-Glare/Anti-Fingerprint (Matte) Screen Protectors [2-Pack] Lifetime Warranty
Offered by Tech Armor UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite up to the task, 20 Jun. 2014
Please note the version I'm reviewing had a much smaller gap for the front camera and light sensor than the one currently pictured, so it could be that the latest version has been correctly modified. However, the version I ordered did say it was for the Surface Pro 2 on the web description and the sleeve it was packaged in, so watch out for that... because the gap on mine isn't a big as it needs to be and doesn't correctly align with the camera in any case (unless the protector is misaligned with the rest of the surface). I also don't think it's as clear or well made as the Incipio anti-glare covers (one came with my original surface; which had to be exchanged, so unfortunately I lost the cover). It comes with some nice instructions and extra bits to facilitate fitting, but nothing that can fix the protector itself if it's like the one I got.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 14, 2014 7:19 PM BST

[PACK OF 3] SONY PlayStation PS VITA Clear Screen Protectors with Cleaning cloth - TECHGEAR
Offered by TECHGEAR Solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars No bubbles for me, 25 Mar. 2014
For me, these are exactly the same as other screen protectors I've used on other devices - you need to be a bit careful, and you might not get it right first time, but at least you have a couple of spares! I recommend positioning the protector before sticking it down. My method is to wipe the screen (the cleaning cloths they come with are rubbish, so use another if you have one) then quickly place the protector before any dust or fluff manages to fall underneath. I find rolling the protector across the surface and flattening it with the card as I go has produced the best results.

Nintendo 3DS Handheld Console - Cosmos Black
Nintendo 3DS Handheld Console - Cosmos Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun when it works..., 3 April 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Playing through yet another port of Rayman (Nintendo 3DS) I was happy enough with the new 3D effects to forgive the fact that, had I paid for the game separately, it would have cost ten times the price of the iPhone version, which has high-res retina graphics and doesn't have the framerate issues of the 3DS port. This is one thing I think Nintendo will have to face up to eventually - I have bought games on the iPhone for 60p with more longevity and better graphics than any of the 3DS launch games - does the 3D effect really justify the price of games being 50 times higher? In my view, £30 is far too steep; especially when you can get next-gen games for the same price and often cheaper. The prices may drop over time, but I've noticed that the original DS games are still released at a premium, so am not too hopeful.

As for the 3D effect itself, I myself haven't had many issues, though I can understand why people have. The fact that you have to place your eyes directly in front of screen at all times can be quite annoying, especially when playing the Augmented Reality games which require you to move the console around a marker in front of it. The unforgiving viewing angle means that the 3D effect is lost once you move your head slightly left or right of the optimum position - inevitable if you have to move the console around. This could result in your eyes constantly changing focus - which is what can cause the headaches. I can't comment on any potential long-term damage, though I assume there's been enough research into this to show that it's not a big deal.

Having said that, I also assumed that the 3DS had been thoroughly tested before release. After my system crashed, which I had never experienced on a Nintendo system before, I did a little research into the error message which popped up on my screen. Turns out that I'm not the only one, and there are problems with some systems out there that cause them to just stop and ask the user to reset. There are a number of makeshift solutions that people have come up with - I've personally noticed that turning off the wireless helps - but clearly this problem shouldn't be happening in the first place.

The system has enormous potential, and when it works I do enjoy playing it a lot. But I can't help but feel that this is just a prototype that's designed to make money before one with more stability and a better viewing angle comes out.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 10, 2011 10:15 PM BST

akasa AK-274CC-4RAS 120mm Quiet Rainbow Fan
akasa AK-274CC-4RAS 120mm Quiet Rainbow Fan

4.0 out of 5 stars Fairly Quiet, 20 Aug. 2010
This is a pretty fan that isn't very loud. Some air flow is sacrificed for the low volume, however.

Xigmatek XSF-F1251 Quiet Case Fan
Xigmatek XSF-F1251 Quiet Case Fan

2.0 out of 5 stars Not 'Quiet', 20 Aug. 2010
This is a loud fan that probably has pretty good air flow but was noticably louder than the rest of the fans in my case.

7dayshop Wireless WIFI N 150Mbps (802.11n) Mini USB Adapter - Windows / Mac OS X / Linux

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 20 Aug. 2010
I haven't used this to its '-N' capability so can only comment on its general wireless function, but so far I've been very pleased. My laptop's internal card has become temperamental, but I have not noticed any drop in speed or reliability since using this thing. Very cheap and compact, so strikes me as much better value than replacement the wireless card. You may wish to obtain the latest drivers - available directly from RaLink (if you search for the Ralink RT2780 on the internet then on their website is a universal driver which will work for this as well).

Hill Street Blues: Season 1 [DVD] [1981] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Hill Street Blues: Season 1 [DVD] [1981] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

5.0 out of 5 stars Discs are double-sided, 12 April 2009
It seems to me that the other person reviewing this item may not have realised that the region 1 version of Hill Street Blues uses double-sided discs. This means that the discs would need to be flipped over in order to see the remaining episodes - so if you don't turn the discs over and play the opposite side then you only get to see half the shows!

Because the discs are double-sided this equates to having six discs, which you'll note is one more than the region 2 version currently available. Suffice to say; this is the better option. The episodes aren't edited and it comes with extras, so it's the best way to watch this classic, ground-breaking series.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 17, 2009 11:32 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2