Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Profile for M. F. M. > Reviews

Content by M. F. M.

M. F. M. (Rio de Janeiro, RJ Brazil)

Page: 1 | 2
James Bond Blu-ray Collection [1962]
James Bond Blu-ray Collection [1962]
Offered by Not2day Media

5.0 out of 5 stars Remastered Extra, 5 Jan. 2014
Since many have already commented on the film itself I'm writing this review solely to comment on the extras, in particular the documentary "Inside Dr. No". This documentary is known to have been ported over from the DVDs but what isn't known is that here we have a totally REMASTERED version. That's right. The whole piece was re-cut from scratch. All the film clips are from the new HD source and also the photos that illustrate the piece were rescanned. Only the interviews that were shot in standard definition were upscaled. I have never heard of any company doing such an endeavor with a DVD extra before and I'd like to say kudos to Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer for this. It shows how much they care for the franchise and for the fans. I can't wait to check all the other films to see if the same has been done.

James Bond - 22 Film Collection [Blu-ray] [1962]
James Bond - 22 Film Collection [Blu-ray] [1962]

Dr. No [Blu-ray] [1962]
Dr. No [Blu-ray] [1962]
Offered by rsdvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Remastered Extra, 5 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Dr. No [Blu-ray] [1962] (Blu-ray)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 9, 2014 11:59 AM GMT

Doctor Who - The Enemy of the World [DVD]
Doctor Who - The Enemy of the World [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patrick Troughton

3.0 out of 5 stars Rushed Release, 14 Dec. 2013
The story is great but I rated it only 3 stars due to the lack of extras. This story has just been discovered so I can only assume that the BBC decided to release it as a bare bones edition for the occasion of the 50th anniversary celebration, which under the circumstances I can't say I blame them. I just think that they should have followed Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings releases and warned people that a special edition will eventually be released (does anybody doubt it?). Since I'm sick and tired of double dipping I'll wait for the special edition.

Doctor Who: The Aztecs (Special Edition) [DVD]
Doctor Who: The Aztecs (Special Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ William Hartnell

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed with the picture quality, 21 Sept. 2013
First of all, I love Doctor who, and The Aztecs is to me one of the greatest stories of the show. However I have been very disappointed with the picture quality, not only with this one, but with some of the recent classic Doctor Who releases (The Ambassadors of Death, Inferno, The Mind of Evil). Although the black levels and contrast are generally better they are applying too much noise reduction which causes a very annoying blurring effect whenever someone or something moves in the picture. I have the previous releases and the effect there is almost nonexistent if compared to the new special editions. In the particular cases of The Aztecs, there are scenes that one segment of the screen is very blurry while on the same frame some spots are sharper. I can only hope that someone from the BBC restoration crew reads this and correct this in future releases.

Doctor Who - Spearhead from Space (Special Edition) [Blu-ray]
Doctor Who - Spearhead from Space (Special Edition) [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Jon Pertwee

5.0 out of 5 stars Just don't get your hopes too high, 16 May 2013
First of all let me tell you that I'm a relatively new Doctor Who fan. I have just recently finished watching the classic series in chronological order for the first time, and although I really enjoyed the show as a whole, it was Spearhead from Space which really got me interested in the show. So to me, Jon Pertwees's era as the Doctor is the best, therefore I won't tell you how great this story is. My caution to you lies in the fact that these episodes were shot in 16mm, so don't expect a picture like the remastered Star Trek series, which was shot in 35mm, otherwise you might get very disappointed. It should look better than the DVD, sure, but not WAY better.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 3, 2013 4:36 PM BST

Star Trek: Enterprise - Season 1 [Blu-ray] [2001] [Region Free]
Star Trek: Enterprise - Season 1 [Blu-ray] [2001] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Scott Bakula

2.0 out of 5 stars Upconverted-DVD-like picture, 5 May 2013
Although I'm financially pleased I won't have to double-dip, it was a major disappointment to check the picture of the episodes. I only watched the pilot and the following episode and to me the whole thing seemed up-converted, and I mean every scene and not only the special effects which were originally rendered in standard definition. If you rate the Next Generation Blu-rays 10 and Enterprise DVDs 5, the Enterprise Blu-rays would be at best 5.5.

I only hope that Paramount didn't do it intentionally so they have an excuse not to release Deep Space Nine and Voyager when the Enterprise Blu-rays don't sell as much as the classic series or TNG.

So if you're planning on buying this I'd suggest that you rent it first and find for yourself if it's worth the purchase. I gave this review 2 stars in respect for the show, which I really like, but the quality of the image, especially if you consider the other Star Trek shows already released on Blu-ray, is insulting.

-------------------UPDATE-------------------

Following the suggestion of another customer, I checked another episode further ahead, and although the picture does improve, I'd give it a 7.5, which doesn't come near the results they had on TOS or TNG, so I still humbly maintain that it isn't worth the upgrade unless you are really interested in the new extras or if you have money to burn. Therefore my original conclusion stands.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2014 1:13 AM GMT

House of the Long Shadows (1983) DVD
House of the Long Shadows (1983) DVD
Dvd ~ Vincent Price

5.0 out of 5 stars "I have returned...", 6 Mar. 2012
as spoken by the greatest master of horror of them all, the late, and always missed, Vincent Price. This movie is simply great. It's possible that I find it so because I watched it at the time of its release, and for me, it had it all. A great plot, an eerie atmosphere, a cool ending and of course, four of the greatest horror legends of them all. And I mean horror, not the scatological bloodbath that the genre became nowadays. This movie is not horror though, but instead a suspense thriller that has no intention of changing the way you see the universe, or to challenge your religious beliefs. No, all it intends to do is to entertain, and entertain it does. So if you want a roller-coaster ride with explosions and shots filled with endless gore, go somewhere else. But if you want honest, smart fun, this might be it.

Doctor Who - Day of the Daleks [DVD] [1972]
Doctor Who - Day of the Daleks [DVD] [1972]
Dvd ~ Jon Pertwee

5.0 out of 5 stars Who cares about Star Wars? This is THE thing!, 27 Sept. 2011
You know, I have been one of those guys who have been pretty angry about George Lucas tinkering with Star Wars, but you know what? Why should I care when there are things like this which story-wise and "cool"-wise are far much better than Star Wars could ever hope to be. I'm a new Doctor Who fan and I'm watching the classic stories for the first time. I'm currently watching Tom Baker's era but to me, Jon Pertwee is THE Doctor. I reeeealy love everything about this era: Joe Grant, the Brig, Roger Delgado's Master (the one and only) and of course, the resourceful Sergeant Benton. Some people may call it dated or old, but you know what? It's hands down much better than most shows being produced today, besides, if old meant bad, people wouldn't travel from all over the world just to see the Mona Lisa.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 18, 2013 10:27 AM BST

The Green Hornet [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free]
The Green Hornet [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Seth Rogen
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars Missed oportunity, 24 Sept. 2011
The movie itself is not really that bad. The real problem is the expectation. For those who watched the TV show it was a major let down, not to mention that nowadays when people are trying to get darker superheroes to copycat the Dark Knight's success, you get a character who is supposed to be as tough as nails, certainly much tougher than Batman, cause unlike Batman the Green Hornet doesn't have the restriction of not killing, and turn him into a buffoon. So this movie could have been much darker than the Dark Knight without compromising the character's mythos. Instead, they made it as a comedy-adventure. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this movie, that's why I'm giving it three stars. However, if it had been done right, I would be giving it five stars and myself, along with countless others, would have bought it. I sincerely hope they (the producers) realize the potential of the characters and decide to reboot the franchise, preferably with Quentin Tarantino at the helm.

Page: 1 | 2