Profile for A. Alsuwaidi > Reviews

A. Alsuwaidi

by Lawrence Pintak
Price: 55.80

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the rare unbiased recent books, 6 Sep 2011
Although I read the book after January 25, 2011, I found Prof. Pintak's book very informative especially when it comes to the Egyptian journalism situation - I wrote several notes and comments on the edge of the pages saying (It is no more the case!! thanx to Jan25 revolution!).

Personally, "Chapter 4: Islam, Nationalism and the Media" was an awakening chapter. No body passed me the information Prof. Pintak did.. because of his unbiased way of presenting facts, events and analyses..

I had one comment about the cover-page (the two words written in Arabic below the title are: Terrorism and Islam) I wished if such association was avoided. Apart of that, I would like to express my deepest appreciation of the research done which results such a book!

The New Arab Journalist: Mission and Identity in a Time of Turmoil (Library of Modern Middle East Studies) is a must book to all journalists, researchers, students and all professionals who would like to understand Arab Journalism; its history and current issues. In fact, I will have to recommend the book to politicians and public diplomats working on the Middle-East and the Arab region..

Wild China [DVD]
Wild China [DVD]
Dvd ~ Wild China
Offered by 101Trading
Price: 6.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought it for one worth reason:, 30 Sep 2010
This review is from: Wild China [DVD] (DVD)
I wanted to enjoy watching the Chinese traditional fishing with the cormorant birds; I ended-up loving the series and wishing to walk in China!

Earth [DVD]
Earth [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patrick Stewart
Price: 6.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspire your ideas!, 30 Sep 2010
This review is from: Earth [DVD] (DVD)
Well, if you are a camera-person who is interested in wildlife video/photography, then i strongly recommend you to spend an hour and a half observing what they were looking for and how they've done it. Specially, if you are planning to create your own documentary =)

Keep your notepad besides you for I'm sure this feature will foster your thoughts - note them down!

P.S. I love the global warming message sent via the polar bear's ending - very touching.

The Legend Is Born: Ip Man [DVD]
The Legend Is Born: Ip Man [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sammo Hung
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd
Price: 12.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't mix it with Ip Man (2008), 26 Sep 2010
There is no way to compare Ip Man (2008) with this "The" Legend is Born (2010). The Videography, Storyline, the actors, and sound effects were weak. The weakest point was that the message of sharing Ip Man's story wasn't there; the true "Dignity" was simply NOT there!

Do you expect using the name of IpMan would make a winning movie?!

52 Activities for Exploring Values Differences
52 Activities for Exploring Values Differences
by Donna M. Stringer
Price: 27.87

4.0 out of 5 stars Very simple & very useful for intercultural trainers, 16 Sep 2010
The organisation of the book is very clear; there is the Classification of Activities, Introduction, the 52 Activities, Appendices and Resource Bibliography. Each activity contains 6 parts: 1) Time Required 2) Objectives 3) Materials 4) Process 5) Debriefing Questions 6) Debriefing Conclusions (there might be handouts depend on the type of activity). The activities vary to fit all learning styles; i.e. discussions, group work, acting, drawing ... etc. It, also, specify which type of people are targeted; i.e. employees, students, or general. Yet, the most important part is the debriefing discussion after each activity, i believe it is very insightful because all the participants share their own views about the activity and the lessons learned.

In comparison to "52 Activities for improving Cross-Cultural Communication" book, this is very focused on values. I believe the activities are worth doing during intercultural sessions because understanding the other person's values would help in respecting them too. The only issue i've faced was that the activities are focused on the American's value system only. So, i had to create my own value's list when it comes to my own culture.

This is not activities' book only, but also, a manual for intercultural trainers.

What I Believe
What I Believe
by Tariq Ramadan
Price: 6.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Light reading to know such a thinker!, 29 Aug 2010
This review is from: What I Believe (Hardcover)
If you've never had the chance to read one of Prof. Ramadan's books or you are planning to start reading his thoughts, I strongly recommend you to start with "What I Believe." The book will give you an excellent oriantation of him as a person. After gaining such knowledge, you'll be able to grasp the links between his high intellectual books.

Comvita 100% Propolis Toothpaste - Tea Tree Oil - Liquorice Mint -100g
Comvita 100% Propolis Toothpaste - Tea Tree Oil - Liquorice Mint -100g
Offered by Best4Deals
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars sensitive tooth and stomach?!, 11 Aug 2010
Although i bought the product a year ago.. I've decided to write this review now because I ran-out of Comvita toothpaste!! You have not a single clue how troubled I am.. in fact, I wanted to order it when i noticed that i used 3/4 of the 100g.. however, due to my busy life, i didn't! Guess what?! I'm struggling now and i can't find any other product! It is an irreplaceable toothpaste!

P.S. When i first used it, I hesitated for a second because it is a greenish paste and i'm having a very sensitive stomach.. Yet, the moment I dared to was a changing point in my whole lifestyle! Felt so fresh and healthy.. Unlike other toothpastes.. I didn't taste "Chemicals" at all..

The Conference of the Birds: A Study of Farid ud-Din Attars Poem Using Jali Diwani Calligraphy
by Farah K. Behbehani

5.0 out of 5 stars The Art of Combining the Classic and Modern, 20 Jun 2010
This book competes all the calligraphy exhibitions I've ever been to. Loved the representation of the book. It adds a lot to such a classic book. Farah K. Behbehani, the calligrapher and the designer of the book, presented Al-Attar's "The Conference of the Birds" in an incredible way due to the combination of both the modern design and the classic Arabic calligraphy. The concept of combining the complexity of Jalli-Diwani's font and the simplicity of circles is very creative - it helps the reader to "see" each individual word and to "read" it in both Arabic and English. The book, also, contains a final chapter devoted to explain the Arabic alphabet in English.

I wish if the author adds a chapter with the original text in Persian.

P.S. There is a video on youtube about the book titled: "Conference of the Birds: A Study of Farid ud-Din Attar's Poem Using Jali Diwani Calligraphy"

The Globalization of World Politics: An Introduction to International Relations
The Globalization of World Politics: An Introduction to International Relations
by Patricia Owens

5.0 out of 5 stars Not only an introduction but also a reference!, 12 Feb 2010
I've bought as a recommended textbook for my online distance MA degree three years ago. However, it became reference book since then for both my full-time MA and my current PhD thesis.

The book is very rich not only in terms of the provided information, but also, its study cases, suggested further readings, and glossary. What makes it an excellent book for students and knowledge seekers is the list of questions at the end of each of its 33 chapters. Such questions develop ones critical thoughts by insuring that the reader gets the idea of the chapter expands his/her own opinion. I'm sure that the 4th edition would contain updated information on current affairs.

As a result of the book's verity of topics, I decided to list it under "references" in my personal library!