Profile for JG STYLES > Reviews

Content by JG STYLES

JG STYLES (Abingdon, Oxon United Kingdom)

Love for the Lost
Love for the Lost
by Catherine Fox

4.0 out of 5 stars Shame it looks unlikely there will be a fourth novel, 15 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Love for the Lost (Paperback)
I agree with the other review from this year - with the 3 novels all being 'limited availability' and it now being nearly 4 years since the 3rd novel, I guess it is unlikely we will read more about this interesting and engaging group of characters.
Somehow this is both the best and the worst of the three books..
On the plus side Isobel and Harry seem to me to be far more realistic and well rounded characters than Annie or Mara from the second and first books.
There is, however, a big minus which is hard to say without giving away a spoiler, but I shall be slightly elliptical...
There is a past event in Isobel's life which is key to the plot and is hinted at throught the book in a rather crass and annoying way (whereas other things are told rather than hinted at). Given that the novel is written by a christian, the title is 'Love for the Lost' and other hints this lumbers slowly over the horizon with the grace and dexterity of an elephant - and left me with a slightly nasty taste in my mouth.

Google Hacks: 100 Industrial-Strength Tips & Tools
Google Hacks: 100 Industrial-Strength Tips & Tools
by Tara Calishain

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a book's worth of stuff to write on this subject, 25 Jan. 2004
This book tries really hard, but sadly shows that there isn't a book's worth of material on this subject. I learned one or two things from the early sections, but the large amount of detail about the Google API serves to show that there is only so much you can do with an API which takes some keywords and returns a list of hits which you can then interrogate.
Towards the end of the book the examples show a certain desperation is setting in.

Barney Thomson and the Face of Death: Bloody Murder, Bad Haircuts and Danish Philosophy
by Douglas Lindsay

1.0 out of 5 stars I shall never believe another Amazon recommendation, 2 July 2003
[...]The book is slim (physically and figuratively) and unfunny. Nothing interesting or amusing happens in it. I took it on holiday to read and the only reason I didn't throw it in the bin was so I could be sure which book it was so I could warn everyone off it here. Which I have. You have been warned.