Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now
Profile for Magic Jem > Reviews

Content by Magic Jem

Magic Jem (Peak District, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Little Women: With Good Wives (Penguin Clothbound Classics)
Little Women: With Good Wives (Penguin Clothbound Classics)
by Louisa Alcott

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Edition, 21 July 2011
Little Women has long been one of my favourite books and I have various paperback and hardback copies, some old and some new.

This book was a gift from a friend who knows me well and she could not have chosen better. The Penguin Classics editions are of the loveliest quality with gorgeous embossed cloth covers and nice paper quality inside. A beautiful addition to any library!

A Tiny Bit Marvellous
A Tiny Bit Marvellous
by Dawn French

5.0 out of 5 stars A Large Bit of Entertaining, 30 Jun. 2011
This review is from: A Tiny Bit Marvellous (Paperback)
I'd been meaning to pick up a copy of this for a very long time and I'm so pleased I did!

Most of us can identify with the occasional mother/daughter spat but the way in which the rift that can grow between Mum and teen during the more challenging teenage years is beautifully examined. Dawn's characters come alive through their diary entries and her witty observations had me howling with laughter in places.

Foyle's War Series 1-6 Complete Boxed Set [DVD]
Foyle's War Series 1-6 Complete Boxed Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Kitchen
Offered by Copeylad

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging television, 29 Jan. 2011
One of the best dramas ever to come out of the UK - I was hooked from the very first episode! The period details are fantastic and the acting and production are top notch.

I had heard that the series screened in Spring 2010 would be the last and I really hope that is not the case!

Keel’s Simple Diary™, Vol. 1 (Orange)
Keel’s Simple Diary™, Vol. 1 (Orange)
by Philipp Keel
Edition: Flexibound

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully off-beat, 3 Jan. 2011
Perfect gift for a birthday or for Christmas and a novel way to keep a diary. Definitely on the quirky side but anyone with a little imagination will appreciate this. On the aesthetic side the orange is fantastic and paper/print quality is excellent :-)

Modern Family - Season 1 [DVD]
Modern Family - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ed O'Neill
Offered by Champion Toys

5.0 out of 5 stars 20 minute parcels of joy!, 16 May 2010
There really are moments or pure comic genius in this series! I've never been much of a fan of American TV being a Brit - aside from The West Wing which I adore. But this had me howling with laughter from the get go and the family dynamics are as fascinating as they are funny!

Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights
Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights
by Sophie Dahl

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest, whimsical, scrumptious, 29 April 2010
I was given this book as a gift for Christmas although I didn't really pick it up and give the recipes a whirl and the memoirs a read until a couple of months later. I liked the division of the book into 4 seasons, thus far my favourite recipes have been from the Autumn and Winter sections although I'm completely in love with that time of year so I'm a little biased! The use of 7 breakfasts, lunches and suppers per season is a great way of making cooking seasonal. There are a couple of basics requirements for me in a cook book of any stripe; that it fits comfortably in my recipe book stand so that I don't have to thumb through the book when cooking and the other is that the recipes are easy to follow and not needlessly complicated since I'm something of a beginner to cooking 'properly'. This fit both and more than that it was lighthearted and fun to read and as much of a food memoir as a recipe book which in my view gave it some real heart.

I've also tuned into her series 'The Delicious Miss Dahl' on BBC2 each week and have already tried a couple of the recipes myself. I was very suprised that she was criticised quite so harshly in the press and bullied on Twitter. Having read and enjoyed this book and watched the series it is obvious that Miss Dahl is self deprecating and doesn't claim for a moment to be an authority in the kitchen. If you like your cookbooks with a mixture of light and hearty, a sprinkling of seasonal recipes and a personal element to them give this a try

Page: 1 | 2