Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (sheffield, uk)

Mindful Meditation: Mindfulness Meditation Exercises and Action Guide To Find Your Inner Peace
by Mitchell Daly

2.0 out of 5 stars Thin - on detail and pages, 16 July 2014
If you know nothing about mindfulness this will help but not much. The "book" would be more accurately described as a pamphlet...there are VERY few pages. In fact there are 36 pages and 10 of those are 'chapter' titles. The best bit of advice in the book is to work with a mindfulness professional face to face.
It is true that mindfulness can help people lose weight, destress and sleep better but this book doesn't really address those issues in anything like the kind of detail I would have expected. There are much better books that are more in depth and cost less. Avoid!

Amazon: pay living wages to your workers
Amazon: pay living wages to your workers
by Amazon Anonymous

5.0 out of 5 stars Cough up, 11 Jun 2014
A reasonable request from people who deserve it, asked of a company who can DEFINITELY afford it! Pay up Amazon... And while you have your hands in your pocket pay an appropriate amount of effing tax rather than "the correct amount according to the letter of the law (using every loop hole imaginable)"

The Seed of Yggdrasill: Deciphering the Hidden Messages in Old Norse Myths
The Seed of Yggdrasill: Deciphering the Hidden Messages in Old Norse Myths
by Maria Christine Kvilhaug

1.0 out of 5 stars Great author but rubbish publisher, 2 May 2014
The publisher of The Seeds Of Yggdrasill are a bunch of amateurs with zero customer relations skills. I first placed an order for the heritage edition of this book 13 months ago. My money was taken swiftly but then nothing happened. Then a message telling me that there was a delay then nothing then another message saying that there was no book. I have been encouraged to change my order to the normal edition more than once but that is not what I want. This book is a present for a friend and I paid for the heritage edition.
I just want someone to tell me what the hell is going on!
A delay of a few weeks or even a month or two is understandable but this amount of time is ridiculous!
PLEASE tell me what the hell is going on and when I can expect the heritage edition!

Monopoly Pink Edition
Monopoly Pink Edition

1.0 out of 5 stars Keep em down, 27 April 2014
This review is from: Monopoly Pink Edition (Toy)
My daughter is 4 years old and is just getting into board games. I'm SO pleased I got this game for her. Now I can teach her right from the start of her life that all she should aspire to is to shop, wear jewelery and giggle with her friends. If she's lucky (and pretty enough!) maybe a boy will text her!! Squeal!!

Luckily my son IS ONLY interested in things that are blue so there are no arguments when she is playing this game! Phew!
I hope. thanks to this game, that my daughter learns that she should focus on what is important in life. Do I want her playing traditional monopoly and learning to budget, control money and aspire to property ownership? I do not! Concentrate on finding a wealthy man who can sustain your perpetual retail therapy to take your mind off the loveless marriage you find yourself in love!

Nerf 7 Mp Digital Camera
Nerf 7 Mp Digital Camera

1.0 out of 5 stars Not great at all, 31 Dec 2013
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Nerf 7 Mp Digital Camera (Toy)
This camera was carefully selected after looking at the majority of the kids cameras available. It looked like a good bet based on the rugged design, the megapixel capability, the fact that it was made by a known brand.
Unfortunately the reality of the situation on Christmas day was very different. The camera was very warmly received and my kid was snapping pictures of the Christmas tree, cats, feet etc in no time. Unfortunately the camera display is tiny and VERY low resolution so it was almost impossible to line up the shot or to see if the picture was any good after. The next major problem is the blurring of the pictures. Unless the camera is on a tripod it is almost impossible to get a steady shot. This means that only one in 50 pictures is actually clear.
The only way to check the pictures is to link it to the computer and check which is rather laborious. When we did this though we found that the date and time is stamped onto the images and there are no clear instructions as to how to remove this.
All in all a very disappointing purchase that does not do the job as advertised so will be returning it.

Gastric Band Hypnotherapy Manual for Hypnotherapists
Gastric Band Hypnotherapy Manual for Hypnotherapists
by Daniella Portner
Edition: Ring-bound

1.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT touch this with a barge pole, 9 Feb 2013
If I could give zero stars I would.

As a full time hypnotherapist for the last 4 years I am very familiar with many hypnotic and linguistic techniques to help people change aspects of how they think, feel or act. I have had an interest in offering clients hypnotic gastric bands for some time but have found that many of the established training schools seem to be doing nothing more than offering (what I consider) sub-standard training in order to collect a training fee of hundreds of pounds so I decided to gather a wide variety of information on the subject to develop my own programme.
I (foolishly) bought the Hypnotic World Gastric Band Hypnotherapy Training Manual for Hypnotherapists on the hypnotic world website [...] rather than through Amazon. The manual seemed to offer everything that I would need to know in order to offer gastric band hypnosis to my clients.

I was wrong.

The content is woefully inadequate.

This book is aimed at therapists so the vast vast majority of people reading this will already be aware of many of the basics of helping people change. This doesn't stop the first 5 pages (of a total of 55 pages) being filled with a very general overview. The font size and line spacing is also rather generous so if this manual were sized the way many are I would be surprised if the total passed 30 pages.

The content itself is incredibly basic and very minimal.

The content for the first session is a re-hash of the "Road To Stopping Smoking" script (costs £4.50) on the Hypnotic World website and is quite basic in itself. This script talks about it taking "will power" to to take the new road towards better health. Anyone that knows anything about helping people bring about change knows that will power is a tool that is only appropriate for short term goals and short bursts of energy or attention. Weight loss is long term and many over weight people already think they have no will power which is why they eat poorly. To tell them that their success depends on will power could mean that many people think they have no hope before they even begin.

There follows a brief section of visualising the future followed by some rather simplistic direct suggestions. It then mentions "If you are tempted to eat something you know you shouldn't...and if you give in you will be taking a step in the wrong direction". This is a stupid thing to have in a hypnosis script. The message here is that: a) You will be tempted. b) That tempting food will be unhealthy. c) That it will be difficult and a struggle. d) That it is wrong to eat ANYTHING that is unhealthy.

Surely it would be better to talk in much more certain and positive terms. Rather than saying food will be tempting and you must resist it perhaps something to address these underlying mistaken beliefs would be better rather than agreeing with the false assumptions the client has learned to believe would be more effective.

Statements like "You are in touch with your body so when you recognise that it has had enough to eat - you just stop - its as simple as that" show a huge lack of understanding about the mindset of many overweight people. A few direct suggestions along the lines of "eat slower, chew more" are not enough for someone who is morbidly obese and completely out of touch with their body and eating the right proportion of the right kind of food. Something much more is needed but that is not in this manual.

The session on day/session 3 is advised to last 2 hours. It is suggested that this session is more "harsh" so you tell them all about the ways they could die prematurely, how they have to buy 2 seats on an air-plane and that they will have to use a cane to get out of bed. I find this simplistic and potentially dangerous. Without having spent a lot more time setting up a better future if you scare someone in the present they will look for comfort and their comfort has been food for years! There follows 4 pages of "stomach shrinking" script. Quite how scaring the bejesus out of the client for half an hour and then reading a 4 page script is meant to last 4 hours I do not know.

Day/session 4 is the operation and it is advised to last 1.5 to 2 hours. There are 6 pages that walk you through the specifics of the operation and a page or so on using sound effects and smells to further enhance the perception of a medical environment. Again, quite how it is expected that this will take 2 hours is beyond me.

There is one mention of eating for emotional reasons and how this is important but there is nothing else done to address this very important part of the process. They simply say "additional sessions may be needed". This is intended to happen after the gastric band session so presumably the client comes back for their check up, says there has been no change and then you should start looking at the emotional issues. I would say that this is completely back to front and that these issues should be addressed before you even think about the gastric band operation.

There is a 5 page "band tweaking script" which is ok I suppose.

At the end there is talk about the post operative period. It is advised that the client drink semi skimmed milk during the 2 day liquids only "recovery" period as it contains fat soluble vitamins. This shows a profound lack of knowledge about vitamins and health in general. Vitamins A, D, E & K in milk are in the cream. If the client drinks semi skimmed milk it contains around 1% fat whereas full fat milk contains around 3.5% fat. If it is so important to get these vitamins then people should be having full fat milk as there are more vitamins in it and full fat milk is generally considered better for you than semi or skimmed milk anyway.

There is advice about foods to avoid in the early stages in case they cause a blockage or slippage. There isn't actually a gastric band there! It is imaginary! To say to people to avoid certain foods in case they get a blockage or slippage is suggesting to them that this can happen. If you were to focus more on how to manage their food intake and the reasons underlying their unhealthy habits and beliefs they would eat less and no be almost encouraged to have a problem that isn't possible unless they imagine it is!

In short this is one to avoid at all costs. If it was presented as a small insight into the area and it was made clear that it is NOT a one stop shop for everything you will need and was half the price I would say go for it. But it isn't.

If you are looking for a comprehensive training manual the hypno-band offering is double the price but far superior to this effort.

If you insist on buying this manual then get it through Amazon as then there is the chance of getting a refund but if you get it through the Hypnotic World website they have a policy of not refunding any PDF manuals (although they do refund for MP3's and CDs. Why there is this difference I don't know.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 21, 2013 3:01 PM BST

31 Mistakes Every Online Business Makes
31 Mistakes Every Online Business Makes

3.0 out of 5 stars Great - for ABSOLUTE beginners, 11 Nov 2012
I bought this book (not through Amazon unfortunately otherwise I would have returned it!) in the hope that it could help my business be even better.
What I got was patronising at times and incredibly basic information at other times. If you have a business that has been up and running for 6 months or more don't bother with this book as you will almost certainly have become aware of the contents of this book just through doing business and observing what your market leaders do.

If you have never run a business or have very little knowledge of the on line world this book is for you.

Samsung Licensed Cool Vent Clip-On Case Cover for Galaxy S3 by Anymode - Black
Samsung Licensed Cool Vent Clip-On Case Cover for Galaxy S3 by Anymode - Black
Offered by PowerSolutionsOnline

1.0 out of 5 stars It cut my ear, 26 July 2012
I got this case for free when I bought my phone and I am so glad I didn't pay for it. The plastic that this case is made out of is very sharp on the top of the phone, to the point that it nicked my ear and drew blood when I was talking on my phone!
My wife has the same phone and was given the same case and hers is incredibly sharp too.
The level of protection offered by this case is minimal. All it really does is stop the back of the phone getting scratched. I don't know about you but I want a case that will offer some form of protection if it is dropped. I don't think this case will do that. I'm going to get an Otterbox Defender to replace this flimsy bit of plastic.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2012 5:52 PM BST

System Is A Vampire
System Is A Vampire
Offered by SmokeCDs

5.0 out of 5 stars Blazing!, 24 Nov 2009
This review is from: System Is A Vampire (Audio CD)
I have never been inclined to write a review for anything on Amazon before. I can't even be bothered to rate transactions of stuff I have bought through here but this is different. I've not even bought the album yet and I'm gushing about how great it is. I have heard some of the tracks through their Facebook fan page and it is so worth the wait.
I was lucky enough to see Shapeshifter at a festival in Oz a few years back and they blew me away. If you are a fan of drum and bass, dancing, smiling and having fun with your mates THIS is the CD for you!
BUY BUY BUY!!!!