Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Southampton, UK)

Undoing Culture: Globalization, Postmodernism and Identity (Published in association with Theory, Culture & Society)
by Mike Featherstone

3.0 out of 5 stars Authoritative, but over-complex, 8 April 2002
I bought 'Undoing Culture' as a main source book for my final year dissertation at uni, but soon had to abandon it - not because it wasn't any good, but because it was nigh-on impossible to read.
I'd consider myself to be a pretty good reader, but Featherstone's style is very academic and he has a tendency to use 30 words where 10 would have done just as nicely. In the end I found it just a little bit too heavy and settled for skimming the relevant chapters!
On the other hand, Featherstone does know what he's talking about and has some interesting points to make, so if you're willing to wrestle with the syntax and already enjoy the subject, this book could provide some extra insight.
I wouldn't recommend it as an introduction to cultural studies or globalisation, however. It may put you off what is actually a very interesting subject and one that is relevant to everyone - not just academics.

M!ssundaztood
M!ssundaztood
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars A stuningly diverse album, 7 April 2002
This review is from: M!ssundaztood (Audio CD)
On the strength of her previous singles I'd never been tempted to buy a Pink album before, but after hearing 'Don't Let Me Get Me' on the radio, I realised that this one might be something special. Boy, was I right! The album visits pretty much every musical genre you can think of, which would normally spell immediate disaster except that Pink does them all so damn well. There are elements of everything from heavy rock to hip-hop, rap, pop and some fabulous down-tempo soul numbers. *And* she has one of the best contemporary blues voices I've heard in a long while.
There should be a little something for everyone to appreciate here, so get buying!