Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "flajol" (UK)

L'arbre de Noť et autres tableaux au point de croix
L'arbre de Noť et autres tableaux au point de croix
by Julia Line

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful designs, 15 April 2012
I was happy to find my schoolgirl French is sufficient to let me understand the main gist of the text in this book. The designs are stunning, and exactly what you'd expect from Long Dog Samplers. The charts are provided separately in a folder section at the beginning of the book. DMC threads are used for some of the samplers, and DMC equivalents given for those samplers which use Gentle Art Threads. Excellent value for a set of ten Long Dog designs.

I would have liked an estimate of how many skeins of thread are needed for each design, but the Long Dog website does give thread calculation directions. I guess I'm just lazy! :o)

If you're an experienced cross-stitcher, a lack of French won't stop you from using these gorgeous designs.

The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking)
The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking)
by Patrick Ness

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 8 May 2009
If you loved The Knife of Never Letting Go: bk. 1 (Chaos Walking), you won't be disappointed with The Ask and The Answer. It's just as brutal and uncompromising as the first in the Chaos Walking series, just as gripping, and now I'm left howling for book three! When's it coming out, Mr Ness?

Todd tries to hold onto his values as the Mayor manipulates and schemes and strips away those things that anchor Todd to his humanity. Once again, Ness isn't afraid to tackle big themes: war crime, terrorism, genocide, loyalty and love.

I don't want to say more for fear of spoiling it for anyone. Let's just say my nails are bitten down to the quick, the adrenaline is still flowing, and I'm even more in awe of Ness's storytelling skills.

Knitter's Handy Book Of Sweater Pattern: Basic Designs in Multiple Sizes and Gauges
by Ann Budd
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent springboard for developing your own designs..., 21 Feb. 2005
This book has finally given me the confidence to have a go at designing my own knitwear. Although it looks confusing initially, with pages of number tables, once I'd read through the 'user guide', it all came clear and is so easy to use. I've already started my first cardigan using the guidelines in this book, and it's looking good!
You just swatch in your chosen yarn until you get an even number of stitches to the inch, choose your basic style (mostly based on sleeve type - drop shoulder, set in, fully shaped, raglan, circular yoke) and size, and you're off. There are also instructions on how to work out patterns if you've got fractions of stitches to the inch and want to stick with that stitch tension.
I'd recommend this to anyone who is confident with knitting techniques, but who might want a bit of help in the design department.