Profile for D Carter > Reviews

Content by D Carter

D Carter

Star Wars Battlefront (PS4)
Star Wars Battlefront (PS4)
Offered by Game_Front

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but don't bother if you aren't playing online, 13 Feb. 2016
I like Battlefront. I know it has received a lot of criticism, but overall I am pleased I bought it.

My main issue with the game is the season pass. I pre-ordered the game for around £40, and more content is being released in the next 18 months via 4 updates, which requires a season pass for £40, so overall this game will cost me £80. I will buy the season pass, I mean, I can't say no to the death star and cloud city maps, but I won't be happy about EA blatantly ripping off it's players.

On to the actual gameplay itself, I think EA has done a great job in terms of the audio + visual experience. The TIE fighter screech overhead is a particularly great sound effect. The maps available offline are Sullust, Tattooine, Endor and Hoth, although more are available online, such as Jakku, Goazan Badlands and Jawa refuge. The maps are large and very well designed, with great attention to detail.

Offline, the game consists of 5 beginner missions, which are about 5 minutes each, as well as missions and survival modes on the 4 maps I previously mentioned. In missions, you can choose to fight as a regular battle or as a hero. So really, there is not much offline gameplay at all, and no campaign mode. As the title mentions, I wouldn't bother buying this game if you are only going to play it offline.

The heroes are Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Han Solo, Darth Vader, Boba Fett and Darth Sidious.I was a bit disappointed that there are only 6 heroes to play as, hopefully more will be added in the future, perhaps even Rey, Finn and Kylo Ren from the latest film.

I think the online multiplayer is the best part of the game. There are more maps and several game modes to try, walker assault + drop zone being my personal favourites. I am currently rank 42, and I am still yet to try all of the online game modes. The only frustration is that you very occasionally get unbalanced teams, e.g. 5 vs 8, which is disappointing for both sides, but perhaps it is hard to avoid this when players may drop out mid-game.

I hope you find this review helpful, and, of course, may the force be with you.

The Fault in Our Stars (Indies Choice Book Awards. Young Adult Fiction)
The Fault in Our Stars (Indies Choice Book Awards. Young Adult Fiction)
by John Green

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing special, 4 Mar. 2012
TFIOS is not the first John Green book I have read, I have previously read Looking for Alaska and Paper Towns.
I found TFIOS to be very similar to both these books, as in boy meets girl, they fall in love, they don't end up together. My problem was TFIOS was that I found Hazel to be very similar to Margo and Alaska. I also found it unrealistic, Hazel tried to be much deeper and profound than most adults, which seemed a tad silly to me, as well as the fact that this occured very often in the book.
As a medical student, I was not expecting this to be hugely science based but I would liked to have read more by cancer. In some reviews I read, people cried yet I remained unemotional throughout this book and had no attachment to either of the main characters. I also felt some of the characters reactions to events were not particularly accurate, with teenagers accepting their fate and making light of the situation when realistically this does not occur.
There were some good moments in the book, particularly meeting a certain man whilst away from home (trying to avoid spoilers) and the narrative when you discover the meaning behind the book's title was good. Perhaps I would have enjoyed this more if I had not previously read Green's work and avoided the obvious comparison to his other characters. I would have liked to have read more about cancer and the effect on Hazel's family.
I also struggled with the storyline. There was one stand out moment in the plot that surprised me but otherwise it was quite plain. Also, the acceptance of death is hugely unrealistic. This is not a book I would reccomend, but obviously this makes me a minority.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 22, 2013 9:23 PM GMT