Profile for ewoksquirrel > Reviews

Content by ewoksquirrel

ewoksquirrel "dicko27uk" (Shropshire, UK)

Optimum Men's Cycling 8 Panel Short - Black, Medium
Optimum Men's Cycling 8 Panel Short - Black, Medium

2.0 out of 5 stars Comfy but annoying, 21 Jun. 2013
I bought these along with Optimum short sleeve jersey (very good by the way) and on my first ride found them very comfortable. The fit was good and the padding is excellent. However, they don't have a drawstring around the waist and I have found that every time I get out of my seat, when I sit back down again they have dropped slight and would catch on the front of the saddle, pulling them further down.

I have since bought myself a pair of bib shorts and can not see me ever going back to shorts alone.

Masterpiece Theatre: God on Trial [DVD] [2008] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Masterpiece Theatre: God on Trial [DVD] [2008] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by supermart_usa

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterclass of acting., 2 Mar. 2010
The setting is bleak, and the topic is something that is almost taboo. Yet whether you agree with the content or the way it is portrayed should not stop you from seeing a program with such power and poignancy driven from some of the finest acting in modern times.

Most notably are Anthony Sher, who's appearance is late in the film, yet arguably is pivotal, and Eddie Marsan produces a truly heart wrenching performance. Stellan Skarsgard, Stephen Dillane, and Rupert Graves as the judges are admirable, and Jack Shepard's disappointed father to Graves disillusioned son is a relationship that speaks beyond religion.

My only gripe about this is why on earth it is not on region 2 DVD?! Please someone rectify this, and release this masterpiece to everyone!!

Card Manipulations: Illustrated Directions on How to Do Over 165 Card Tricks and Stunts (Dover Magic Books)
by Jean Hugard

3.0 out of 5 stars a little more advanced, 7 May 2003
This was the first magic book i ever bought and i learnt and adapted my first card tricks from it. However, i the bought the Royal Road to Card Magic and instantly this went back to my shelf.
Now this is not say that this is a bad book, quite the contrary, but it is not really for the beginner. I managed to get through the first couple of chapters before getting lost underneath a myriad of forces, dovetails, glides, and flourishes. After reading Royal Road though, i managed to understand a lot more of the book and some of the more advanced tricks i could think through, if not work through.
This is by no means a book for the advanced magician but, beginners beware, a little knowledge of magic will be needed before handling this.

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (PS2)
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (PS2)
Offered by Quick Discount Sales

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 7 May 2003
Wow. I was so pleased when i bought this game. I went straight to the training mission and was immediately engrossed with the technical but relatively easy gameplay.
The controls are just off standard. The left analogue is movement but doesn't allow strafing. The right analogue is the camera angle NOT where your looking. However, the rest of the movements are simple combinations from there on in. And watch out for lock picking (my favourite part).
The graphics are exempelary with smooth movement of all characters and the film sequences are at times almost real.
But the best thing about this game is the enemy AI. At times they may be 6 inches from you and not notice you but that is part of the game. They are effiecient soldiers and when searching for you will do so thoroughly, you maybe hanging off a ledge or on a platform outside a window and they will look there just incase.
The emphasis of this game though if definately on stealth. Although games like Metal Gear have gone for this stealth style, shooting every living thing can get you through many levels. I have tried the "blast-everything-that-moves" method and was killed within minutes or ran out of ammo. Yet i quite easily passed missions when i killed relatively few people and stuck to operation guidelines.
In summary, the best tactical stealth game on the market.

Down Under
Down Under
by Bill Bryson
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars A light hearted romp through Oz., 6 April 2002
This review is from: Down Under (Mass Market Paperback)
Bill Bryson. Well where do you begin? The man has an arid dry sense of humour which left me chuckling in my chair. Not such a quick and direct humour such as Spike Milligan (or as twisted!), more the odd quip to compliment the many anecdotes.
The book seems to be a fairly comprehensive tour of Australia, covering most of the states, with stories galore of little towns, small beachs, and giant lobsters.
Yet it lacks the substance to be a 'classic'. It is light hearted and therefore does not engross you. Not at any point did i feel that i couldn't put the book down.
Definately a book for anyones shelf, it is a light read that can be picked up anytime.

The Negotiator
The Negotiator
by Frederick Forsyth
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars i don't care how much it costs, BUY IT!, 6 Jan. 2001
An absolute gripper from cover to cover that leads you on a merry dance of intrigue, betrayal, and corrupt governments (I can also recommend Jack Higgins "Confessional" - very interesting). Quinn is such a dominant character, so deep and mysterious that he can only be loved for his accute skill in reading situations. My compliments to the author.

The Crow Road
The Crow Road
by Iain Banks

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I've read (by Iain Banks), 6 Jan. 2001
This review is from: The Crow Road (Paperback)
Being an avid reader of fantasy books (i.e. "The Lord Of The Rings"), i was a little apprehensive about picking up a "real-life" setting book handed to me by my dad. But fair to say this is an excellent book with depth, intrigue, mystery, and surprise running vein like through the book. I was also a little apprehensive because my dad had also given me "Walking on glass" prior to this book and lets just say i was worried for Banks' mental safety. But this has definately resucitated my intrigue for more of Banks' work.