Profile for Joseph Kay > Reviews

Content by Joseph Kay

Joseph Kay "Dune" (England)

Chutes Too Narrow
Chutes Too Narrow

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 Jan 2007
This review is from: Chutes Too Narrow (Audio CD)
When I first heard The Shins I was put off slightly by their unusual style, but it took me no time at all to grow to love this album. The first five tracks in particular are fantastic. A wonderful mixture of upbeat songs and tuneful melodies.

As has been pointed out already, the lyrics are very strange. However, this isn't just the result of using bizarre metaphors for effect as I original presumed. When I got the time to read the lyrics I realised just how clever they are. Saint Simon and So Says I are my favourites. Both have fantastic lyrics.

Anyone who can put Thomas More in their lyrics is worthy of praise.

Load
Load

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Metallica album., 2 Feb 2004
This review is from: Load (Audio CD)
I am a fan of metal and rock alike. The music on Load is not the same thrash metal that has dominated their earlier albums, but a lighter, more rock friendly kind. A lot of the critisism that has been carelessly thrown at this album is a result of disgruntled fans, unhappy with the change of scene. Being more into rock than metal, I prefer Load to some of their other albums, such as Black Album or Ride the Lightning. However, don't be mistaken, this is certainly not pop rock, or middle rock, it is heavy rock, and doesn't stray that far from Metallica's original thrash metal style. King Nothing, 2x4, Ain't My Bitch and The House That Jack Built are all great songs. I am less fond of the others, but the majority are definately above par.
In short, if you want the heavy, thrash style in the earlier stuff, and have no intention of listening to anything else, don't bother. If you're tastes are broad enough to extend to the enlightening depths of rock music, give it a try.