Profile for John Peter O'connor > Reviews

Content by John Peter O'c...

John Peter O'connor
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
Kitchen Craft Potato Chipper with Interchangeable Blades
Kitchen Craft Potato Chipper with Interchangeable Blades

4.0 out of 5 stars Works a treat, 23 Jun 2013
This chipper works very well and I am very happy with it.

I use it to chip about 5kgs of potatoes each month and I am very happy with it.

If you try to use it on the largest possible spud that you can fit inside it, you will find that it is very hard to use and I am not sure how long it would last under such conditions. That is not a big problem though, I just make sure that I cut very large potatoes into two or three parts first. That is not a big deal and it certainly helps to make the device easier to use.

Xilence Frozen Fighter 775 CPU Cooler Black PWM up to Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Dual Core E2220
Offered by Wiziwoo Limited

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, 7 Sep 2012
I bought two of these from a shop as that was all that they had for the 775 socket.

I took them home and got the first one out of the box, looked at it and chucked it in the trash. The other one went in the bin without even opening the box.

(The shop in question has a no-refunds policy so there was no point going back - at least they were cheap.)

Why did I do that? They do not mount onto the motherboard in the same was as do the ones that Intel supply if you buy a boxed processor and it would not be possible to fit one of these devices to my motherboard without removing it from the case. That is just a broken idea.

I can understand why you might want a bolt through mounting if you are fitting a huge and heavy heat-sink and fan onto an overclocked quad-core but this unit can only be used to cool dual core processors and it does not need anything other than the standard press-in from above mount.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2014 1:49 PM BST

RECORD BOX / (ALUMINIUM) HOLDS 50
RECORD BOX / (ALUMINIUM) HOLDS 50

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the job, 21 Dec 2011
I bought this case as I needed to have some precious vinyl shipped to me from the other side of the world.

It handled all of the abuse that the world's postal services can muster and emerged at the destination looking like new and with the contents utterly unmolested.

It is probably a bit over the top if you just want to store your records but if you need to carry them about - DJ gigs? - it is grand. You will not be able to summon up enough abuse to catch it out and it will impress you.

Also, if you care about cool industrial/functional looks this will do the job there too.

I guess that what I am saying is that it looks and works like a truly professional piece of kit.

Sekonda Gents Titanium Grey Chronograph Watch
Sekonda Gents Titanium Grey Chronograph Watch

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 21 Dec 2011
I have a couple of small quibbles with this watch but mostly it gets good marks.

I chose it for the following reasons:

* I need a chronograph than can handle being in the water.

* I need an all metal construction because I will trash plastic or leather straps in days.

* I prefer Titanium to the usual option of Stainless Steel as the latter provokes a mild allergic reaction in my skin. Titanium watches are also a lot lighter.

This watch delivered on all of those fronts. Indeed, it is even lighter than the watch that it replaced (another Titanium chronograph.)

It falls short of five stars for a couple of reasons.

The light coloured face and hands mean that in some lighting conditions, you cannot read it at a glance.

The bracelet is not easily user adjustable. Now, that does not mean that you could never adjust it yourself if you know what you are doing but most customers will not be able to. The documents that come with it say that you can post it off to the maker and ask them to do it but who wants to have to do that with an item that you are buying through the mail in the first place? I guess that I am lucky because the default configuration is acceptable if not perfect but if you bought this as a gift you might have to deal with a disappointed recipient.

Logitech B110 Optical USB Mouse
Logitech B110 Optical USB Mouse
Offered by E W Link Co Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars I like this and I am glad that I bought it, 5 Aug 2011
I use this mouse with a net book when I am in the office.

It is better than the other mice that I have used there in one important way.

My office desk was designed by people who put looks above functionality and they forgot to check how well optical mice work on plain white surfaces.

Many just do not register movement and you are stuck and must use a mouse mat.

This mouse works just fine on that surface so I am very pleased with it. I will probably get one to replace the mouse that came with my iMac too.

Xavax Bathroom Scales
Xavax Bathroom Scales

4.0 out of 5 stars Work OK and look kind of cute, 5 Aug 2011
I have owned various digital bathroom scales over the years and these are the only ones of which I might use the word stylish.

They sit a lot lower than most such scales and yes, they do look cute.

They do not come with any extra features - they show your weight and quite frankly that is enough.

The only drawback is the way that they switch on. They need a pretty hard tap from the foot and that tap must be close to the display. Just putting pressure on them is not enough, it has to be a sharp and well aimed tap. I think that would make them difficult for an older person who might not be so sure on their feet.

2M USB Type A standard to Type B MICRO Cable, 1.8 Meter (6ft), For Camera / Camcorder / Mobile Phone
Offered by CPO Trading

3.0 out of 5 stars It works reasonably well but...., 29 July 2011
I bought this to use with a 2.5" external notebook drive.

For that purpose, it works OK. Even though the cable is quite long, it has no problems supplying enough power for the hard disk.

The downside is that I have had some problems with other uses.

The plastic moulding around the micro-usb connector is too large. This means that if you have a mobile phone where the usb connector is even slightly recessed, this cable will not work. You can tell if this cable is OK for you by looking at the device with which you want to use it. If the micro usb port on that device is flush with the case then you should be OK but if it is at all recessed then you should avoid this cable.

Pny Geforce 6 Series 6200 Agp 8x 256 Mb Graphics Card (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Did what I wanted, 29 July 2011
I had an older machine that I wanted to update to be dual headed.

It was not a gaming machine and I was more concerned about purchase and running costs than performance.

This did the job and it did it without drawing so much power that it needed a fan.

Not for gamers but a good way to update an older machine.

Silverline 380244 Digital Vernier Caliper 150mm
Silverline 380244 Digital Vernier Caliper 150mm

4.0 out of 5 stars Works OK but is a little overpriced, 29 July 2011
It works and it looks as though it should last well too as long as you care for it and keep it in the case. It appears to be accurate enough for any project that you are likely to undertake up to serious amateur standards.

I only give it 4 stars because it seems to be overpriced here.

It is the kind of thing that crops up from time to time in shops like Aldi and Lidl and when it does, it costs less.

SanDisk SDSDQ-016G-FFP 16 GB MicroSDHC Memory Card - Frustration-Free Packaging (Label May Change)

5.0 out of 5 stars As long as you get a real one, it will be just fine, 29 July 2011
I have one of these and I have been using it in a Samsung Android based phone that I use for a lot of music playback. It works just fine.

Being a SanDisk product you can be confident that it will not have compatibility problems. After all, which brand of card will most manufacturers test against when they try their new phones or tablets?

Having said all that, there is one thing to be aware of. It explains the large number of one star reviews. There are a lot of fakes about. Indeed, this class of product is one of the most commonly faked items out there.

Even if you get the item from a trusted vendor, you cannot be sure as fakes are often introduced into the supply chain before the item leaves the country of origin. The best thing to do is research. When the item arrives, google for websites that carry photos of the real products and of the fakes and which show the tiny differences.

Then, check the item that you have received and if you do not like the look of it, send it back.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19