Profile for John Peter O'connor > Reviews

Content by John Peter O'c...

John Peter O'connor
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
Albino Alligator [DVD]
Albino Alligator [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matt Dillon
Offered by TwoRedSevens

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been good, ended up average, 13 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Albino Alligator [DVD] (DVD)
A stake out, a botched robbery, a chase and finally, three bad guys holed up in a basement bar with a bunch of hostages. But they are not the only bad guys in the bar.

OK, that makes this a hostage movie with a twist but is it any good?

Hostage movies depend almost entirely on the development of chemistry between the three parties involved, the hostages, the hostage takers and the cops. That is where this movie lets itself down.

The cops - in this case the ATF - are nowhere, A.T.F. Agent G.D. Browning (Joe Mantegna) does get the funniest line in the whole movie but that's about it for law enforcement. So we are just left with the bad guys and the bar flies.

Dova (Matt Dillon) and Milo (Gary Sinise) are brothers and together with Law (William Fichtner) they make up a mismatched set of crooks. Law has a simple bottom line: he will not return to prison and he is prepared to kill everyone in the bar if it keeps him out of jail. Milo, badly hurt in the car chase, doesn't agree but is in no position to assert his will and falls into despair. Dova struggles to keep peace between his brother and his friend but it is a struggle that he must ultimately lose.

It's Dino's (M. Emmet Walsh) bar but Walsh gets pretty well no script to work with which is a shame. Barhelp Janet Boudreaux (Faye Dunaway) gets more and Dunaway does a great job with what she has to work with but any real interplay between her and the gang is more a hint of potential than a realisation. Watch Dog Day Afternoon and see how Al Pacino and Penelope Allen pull this one off. Dillon may be no Pacino but Dunaway is a fine actress and together they should have been able to make it - they just don't have quite enough script to work with.

Guy Foucard (Viggo Mortensen) is a real disappointment. He is not entirely to blame - the script does him no favours - but more importantly, he is miscast here. When you have seen this movie, try to imagine it with Steve Buscemi playing this role, it would not have turned this into a great movie but it would have moved it up a notch.

It was Kevin Spacey's debut as a director and while it was good enough to justify letting him have another go (it was a long time coming) many of the movies problems arose from the directing and the script.

Cyclone HD2 Lite Edition - 1080p H.264 MKV Media Player Enclosure with Built-in Recorder by Cyclone

5.0 out of 5 stars A great piece of kit, 13 Dec. 2010
I am using this gadget with an external hard disk. That is a 2TB Hitachi USB drive. I am delighted with the results so far.

Why?

So far, every media format that I have tried has played as well as I could wish. I am watching it via a 1080p display and I have viewed media in resolutions from standard def TV up to 1080p HD. HD material plays smoothly, clearly the built in video codecs are fast enough for high data rates. Standard def is upscaled very effectively with no trace of jagged diagonals or other upscaling artifacts.

Every video format that I have tried has simply worked with no problems.

When navigating around the media stored on the external disk, the response time is very fast - it is much better than other players that I have tried.

I am using it with an external drive for one reason. I believe that this class of device is marginal on both heat dissipation and power delivery when used for long periods of time with an internal hard disk. I do not see that as a problem, I believe that it is a feature of this type of device and my Sumvision has worked just fine with every usb device that I have hooked up. Both FAT32 and NTFS have worked without problem.

Tatonka Suitcase Flightcase, 55 cm
Tatonka Suitcase Flightcase, 55 cm

5.0 out of 5 stars This is so right it is almost spooky, 11 Dec. 2010
It is rare that I come across a product that is this perfect. Tatonka usually do a fine job but here, they have excelled themselves.

I bought this bag when I was moving from Germany to Ireland. I knew that I would be flying back forth and that I would have a lot to carry. Also, airlines are getting more strict about carry on bag sizes and weights. I wanted something that would just avoid breaking the limits on size and that would be tough enough to handle abuse and yet light enough to give me maximum flexibility and that is just what I found.

You can configure the bag as a normal case that you carry in one hand. There are then no rucksack straps and no sign that it has another mode. Then by unzipping a cover flap, you can convert it into a rucksack in an instant. Typically, I will travel to an airport with the bag in rucksack mode and then take a moment to convert it to hand-held case mode before checking in. I can then carry it on to the aircraft and stow it in the overhead without worrying about rucksack straps getting caught and tangled. It fits perfectly and if needed, it can also fit under a standard aircraft seat. On arrival, converting it back to rucksack mode is so quick and discrete that I usually do this while standing in the aisle of the aeroplane waiting for the doors to be opened.

I have been all over the place with this bag and it has never let me down. The zips and fasteners are the best that I have ever seen and it works well with heavy loads. I can go to my corner shop and buy a twenty kilo bag of coal. The bag is big enough to take it, and strong and comfortable enough that I never have any doubts that I can carry it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2012 9:59 PM GMT

Banana Flame Lace Panel Body Con Dress, Size S/M, Black
Banana Flame Lace Panel Body Con Dress, Size S/M, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars A successful gift, 11 Dec. 2010
I bought this item as a gift for my partner and it was well received.

It is not always easy to buy clothing for somebody but this works because the styling means that it is not essential to get an exact size match.

JavaFX in Action
JavaFX in Action
by Simon Morris

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, 11 Dec. 2010
This review is from: JavaFX in Action (Paperback)
I have had this book for a while now.

I bought it to help me with all of the odd things that crop up from time to time when dealing with some new bit of programming tech.

How often did it help me to answer a tricky question? Never.

How often did it at least point me in the general direction of my solution? Never.

JavaFX is now moving on from the JavaFX script described in this book and I cannot really see who might find it useful.

Skull Print Red Tie
Skull Print Red Tie

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want a halloween tie, 11 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Skull Print Red Tie (Apparel)
For most folks, this would be a once-a-year tie. A lot will depend on the company that you keep but many folks will find it rather gruesome.

If you have the nerve to wear it though then why not?

As for practical matters, the cloth is really good. It goes back to flat after you take the tie off and it has enough surface friction to mean that your carefully crafted Windsor knot will keep its shape all day.

OtterBox Defender Case for iPod Touch 3rd Gen
OtterBox Defender Case for iPod Touch 3rd Gen

5.0 out of 5 stars I just love otterbox cases, 11 Dec. 2010
You just cannot beat these.

If you want to pour a glass of beer over your iPod Touch or use it as an ice hockey puck then this is for you.

An otterbox defender case is like having a protective force-field around your device.

Not only does the case protect your device, it is also tough enough to look after itself too. Friends have lesser cases and after a few weeks, they are beginning to look shabby and are clearly less able to defend the device inside. Not the otterbox defender. Mine looks as good as the day I bought it and when folks look at it they are intrigued and often think that Apple have made a special ruggedised or industrial device.

Nothing else even comes close.

HQ DVI and Audio Switch
HQ DVI and Audio Switch

4.0 out of 5 stars Works just fine, 11 Dec. 2010
I use this to switch four DVI outputs to one screen. Everything is running at 1080p resolution and there is no problem with the signal quality.

I have not used the device to switch audio so I cannot comment on that.

It is not a full kvm switch as it cannot handle a mouse and keyboard but if you want it to handle the second screen in a setup with four dual headed computers then you will probably have a VGA KVM switch to do those jobs anyway.

My only complaints are that the device is larger than it needs to be and the buttons to select the input are a bit to much like an early transistor radio from the sixties. That means that switching displays is a two handed job as you need to hold the unit down with one hand and press the rather clunky button with the other.

Max Value UK Mains to IEC (C13) Lead, 1.8 Mtr, Black
Max Value UK Mains to IEC (C13) Lead, 1.8 Mtr, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars The work, 11 Dec. 2010
They work, they don't come loose despite being frequently plugged in and out and there is no cracking on the plastic.

Can't say fairer than that.

Chicago men's 909 regular fit pure black jean, 40W 32L
Chicago men's 909 regular fit pure black jean, 40W 32L

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 11 Dec. 2010
It's easy to buy jeans on line because you should know your size and the sizes are pretty standard across different brands.

These fitted as expected and were hard wearing and comfortable.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19