Profile for Audrey Two > Reviews

Audrey Two

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Nasty, 28 Oct. 2013
I'm currently staying in a serviced apartment and this is the iron provided by the company.

I've stayed in tens of serviced apartments and hundreds of hotels over the years and used irons of every shape and size. I have to say that this is quite possibly the nastiest, cheapest, least effective one I've used. Doesn't get hot unless you fill it with water (to use it as a steam iron) and then the water just drips out all over the place, both when ironing and when it's stood at rest.... it was so bad I had to put a cloth on the floor to mop up the spilled water. I really couldn't tell the didfference between the clothes I'd ironed and those I hadn't.

I was so incensed at how BAD this iron was that I came online just to check and see what reviews it had and what it cost. Mine is the first review and for the price I'd say Don't Bother.... you'd be better spitting on your clothes and stretching them into shape than buying one of these.

Of course, it could be that I have a malfunctioning one - in which case I apologise to the manufacturers - but somehow I don't think that's the case.

Verdict: AVOID!!

The Man Who Invented Vegemite
The Man Who Invented Vegemite
by Jamie Callister

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for an Aussie!, 11 Aug. 2013
Bought this for my (Australian) husband who is a die-hard Vegemite fan.

He thought it a really good read... it's more about the man himself rather than the product but nevertheless he enjoyed it.

Travel Adapter NEW ZEALAND Multi Extension Lead 3 Pin Earthed Plug 4 UK Sockets 2 USB Moulded Type I Plug 1.5m Flex AUS/NZ3112:2004 & CE Certified
Offered by Traveldapter

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, but...., 11 Aug. 2013
I bought four of these to take to Australia; we're going to be moving there soon and as a stop-gap before we buy new appliances/adapters, I thought these would be great. On a scouting trip down under, we took them over and used one to charge all our phones/ipads etc. All working well until about 4 days in and one of the sockets stopped working. We briefly tested the other 3 adapters that we'd purchased and they seemed to be ok - I think we might just have been unlucky with that particular one. I am returning the faulty one to the seller and look forward to receiving a swift replacement.

Summary: when working well, they're an excellent idea, nice style. I like the individual illuminated switches so you can tell what's on and what's off.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 6, 2014 4:08 PM BST

Simply The Best 50 Year Old Socks
Simply The Best 50 Year Old Socks
Offered by Goods Online 24/7 (UK SELLER)

3.0 out of 5 stars Novelty 50th birthday present, 31 Jan. 2013
I wanted something *very* small as a novel 50th birthday present for my husband from the kids. I'd bought a load of gifts then realised I hadn't got anything with "50" on it; found these socks at less than £3 which were just the ticket. OK quality for the price, and for something which, to be honest, I knew would only be worn once ie. on his birthday itself!

Leaves and Stems on Natural PVC Vinyl Oilcloth Tablecloth by Karina Home 200 x 137cm
Offered by Karina Home

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant kitchen tablecloth, 31 Jan. 2013
I bought this to replace a very tatty old plastic cloth to go over my recently re-varnished wood kitchen table. Because I needed something both waterproof and heatproof I bought a quilted pad (also from Amazon)to go between the cloth and the table.

The cloth itself is a very pleasant design. My kitchen is wood with green tiles so it matches perfectly. The cloth is of good quality and stains wipe off easily.

My only reservation is that it marks very badly. By this I mean that anything stood on the cloth - mugs of coffee, coffee plunger, plates, bottle of wine, jar of jam etc - makes a dented ring in the cloth. This may well be because I have the pad underneath for heat protection, but even when I remove the pad and try to flatten out the cloth it doesn't work and the indentation of the rings is very clearly visible and it's not that good a look. Yes I could use place-mats everywhere, but that defeats the purpose of a plastic cloth with a heat-resistant pad underneath.

I like the cloth because it's attractive and a vast improvement on the tatty one I got rid of but I think, unfortunately, it's going to look old quite quickly.

War Trash
War Trash
by Ha Jin

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, I'm afraid :(, 28 Dec. 2012
This review is from: War Trash (Paperback)
I had to read this book for my book group and to be honest I had to force myself to read a certain number of pages every day just to get through it. Rarely have I read a book that I find so hard to enjoy that I struggle to find any redeeming features but sadly this is one. The gratuitous use of the F-word on the first page irritated me (and I'm not a prude by any stretch!). Unusually - for me - I even skipped some of the really tedious bits in the middle as the format of the chapters was such that if you read the first couple of paragraphs and then the last couple you got the gist of what had happened.

Simplified, this book is about the Korean war and follows the tale of a Chinese soldier through a little fighting and then various internment camps as he vacillates wildly about which side says he's on, not wanting to upset the communists nor the nationalists, not wanting to end up in Taiwan and wishing to go back to his mother and fiancee in China once the war is over. Some of the torture makes uncomfortable reading but I really didn't much care about the characters and learnt little more about the Korean war than I already knew.

This is a reasonably well known book by an acclaimed author but I think (hope!) his other better known writing is more enjoyable. I'm not quite sure for whom he was writing this and what audience enjoyed it; the view of the varied members of our book group was that it wasn't a great read.

One advantage: I only bought a second-hand copy from Amazon at 1p + £2.80 p&p so at least I didn't pay the full price for a new copy..... my copy is off to the local charity shop in the new year!

Club Penguin Puffles Towel
Club Penguin Puffles Towel
Offered by Home-Expressions

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute towel for Club Penguin fan, 28 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Club Penguin Puffles Towel
Standard size beach towel and colours are true. My son was delighted - swimming lessons will never be the same ;)

Boys Official Penguin Club Cartoon Character Pyjamas Pajama Sleepwear 9-10 years

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for Club Penguin fans, 28 Dec. 2012
A good quality set of pyjamas. My son is average height but very slim; age 9-10 fit him well in length (he's 10.5 years) but the waistband is a little large. He was delighted with them.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent styler (with a small "but...."), 28 Dec. 2012
I received this as a Christmas present, having put it on my Christmas list after reading excellent online reviews. I blow dry my hair every day with a hairdryer and brush, but I have some joint pain in my thumbs and I wanted something easier and more comfortable to style my hair. Old, young, disabled, husbands(!) and others all attested to its excellence. Indeed, it does exactly as it (and other reviewers) claim - gives volume, bounce and shine. Can't criticise it at all for that - after styling my hair looked good.

.... but, there is a but! The switch to turn the styler on is a push forward/back setting for varying the heat. No problem there. But there are two buttons to rotate the styler; one button is to rotate the brush clockwise, and the other anti-clockwise. Whilst it's easy to use in terms of getting the technique right, the problem for me is that I have started to get arthritic thumbs and the buttons have to be held in all the time you want the brush to rotate. Taking your thumb off the button stops the rotation (and the rotation is what gives the volume and shine). So on a 'good' day I can use it with ease and it's excellent; on a 'bad' day I think it'll be quite painful.

So, in summary, a good styler for my hair (which in length is a couple of inches above my shoulders) but if you have difficulty with hand mobility this may not be the one for you.

Skulduggery Pleasant Pack, 6 books, RRP £41.94 (Death Bringer; Mortal Coil; Skulduggery Pleasant; Dark Days; Playing With Fire; Faceless Ones).
by Derek Landy

4.0 out of 5 stars Good pack but not a box set, 14 Dec. 2012
My son is an avid reader of the Skulduggery Pleasant books and will be delighted with this set for Christmas. Note that this isn't a boxed set, just a loose collection of the six books. Five of the bindings were black and one white so if aesthetics on the bookshelf are important to your kids then this may not be perfect however, this set was sold at a particularly good price so I'm not complaining!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5