Profile for Roger H. Harman > Reviews

Content by Roger H. Harman

Roger H. Harman "Antofa" (Ayrshire, Scotland U.K.)

The Last Grain Race (Picador Books)
The Last Grain Race (Picador Books)
by E. Newby

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth Reading -, 10 Mar 2012
I started reading this book when I too was struggling with gale force winds and heavy seas in the Irish Sea in a boat a lot smaller than 'Moshulu', and found my nemesis in the form of The South Stack Lighthouse on Anglesey... A truly scary place when the wind is against tide!
This book can be enjoyed by both sailor and landlubber alike, as the tales told are delightfully varied and give a fascinating insight into the last days of commercial sailing vessels, the joys and hardships endured.

Well worthy of the 5 stars I give this book.

Kodak Playsport Zx3 Waterproof HD Pocket Video Camera (Black) (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Kodak Playsport.. Good to use!, 26 Oct 2010
I was torn between buying a Sony Bloggie or this camera at the outset, but I'm glad I opted for the playsport. It allows me to shoot videos in situations I would have never dreamed about with another un-waterproof camera.
The camera is well made and well thought out, feels very like a Flip camera to use, and handle. Low light shooting is a possibility but like all cameras of this ilk, noise can be an issue in very low light.
All said, I'm very glad I opted for the Kodak Playsport.

Don't Try This At Home
Don't Try This At Home
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 17.95

5.0 out of 5 stars *Do* Try This at Home!, 23 Nov 2007
This review is from: Don't Try This At Home (Audio CD)
Don't Try This at Home is a truly wonderful album.

Starting off with the superb Itsbynne Reel with mixtures of EWI and Tenor Sax winding their way through this very ethnic sounding track. Track 2- Chime This follows, with a very soulful theme continuing through - you feel as though the sax is talking to you! A melancholy Scriabin follows with a very emotional theme leaving one feeling somewhat sad, then Track 4 takes you from those deep lows, quite abruptly into a cheerful, driving number, Suspone.(Talk about emotional roller coaster!). The album title number is next with descending steps featuring prominently and taking the listener down, down, down......Track 7 Everything Happens When You're Gone starts off with a lonely sax solo and wends it's way thoughtfully upward like an antidote to Don't Try This' lows, toward the last 2 tracks, Talking to Myself and Gentleman and Hizcaine, which for me crown a delightful album.... Who was it that said Mike Brecker's music isn't memorable? Personally, I just can't stop humming those last two tracks!....