Profile for Garry > Reviews

Content by Garry

Garry "GarryC" (Glasgow, United Kingdom)

Prashad Cookbook: Indian Vegetarian Cooking
Prashad Cookbook: Indian Vegetarian Cooking

5.0 out of 5 stars Liked this so much I bought the hardback and the ebook, 1 Mar 2014
I bought this to help my third attempt at going vegetarian. The recipes are clear and mostly quite simple. There's a good mix of healthy options and more indulgent food. I found most of the ingredients easily even living in quite a small town. The dishes I've cooked so far were easy to make and delicious. I recommend this for anyone who likes Indian food, and particularly for anyone who wants to eat more fresh vegetables.

Two Scoops of Django: Best Practices for Django 1.5
Two Scoops of Django: Best Practices for Django 1.5

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved me about an hour a day, 15 May 2013
Disclaimer: I bought the beta version from the authors' website and submitted some minor suggested changes, for which they kindly named me as a final reviewer in the book.

This book is perfect for anyone who knows the basics of getting a django site up-and-running but needs advice from the pros to make their site professional and lean. I was a week away from deploying my first major project when I finished reading it. I decided to rebuild it from the ground up using the structures recommended here because I was so convinced of their superiority over the design patterns I'd initially chosen. Since then my site has been easier to manage and further development has happened faster.

I read the appropriate sections of this book before I add any new features to my site now. That practice routinely saves me from going in the wrong direction and smooths the development process. My code is clearer when I come back to it after a break, making maintenance simple. Follow the advice in this book and you'll produce projects you can be proud of. I know I have.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close: A Novel
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close: A Novel
by Jonathan Safran Foer

5.0 out of 5 stars A moving story, 11 Feb 2006
'Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close' shares a theme with Safran-Foer's previous novel 'Everything is Illuminated'. Both follow young men seeking answers for their own lives by trying to get closer to deceased relatives. 'Extremely Loud' also follows a similar style to the previous book, with passages and chapters skipping between different narrators and times, providing multiple voices and viewpoints that add depth to the main characters' experiences.

The book follows nine-year-old Oskar Schell as he attempts to make sense of the world after his father's violent death. Those passages narrated directly by Oskar are the book's most beautiful and touching, as he makes his journey in and out of other people's lives and, ultimately, learns to cope with his loss. The author does a superb job of evoking a child's thought processes, which are at times movingly innocent and at others surprisingly mature.

Well paced, tighly written and inventive, 'Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close' deserves to be read and remembered.