Profile for Annabelle > Reviews

Schindler's Ark
by Thomas Keneally
Price: 6.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 14 Jun 2014
This review is from: Schindler's Ark (Paperback)
I saw the film years ago but never got round to reading the book. I finally have and can only say that it is superb. It appears to be well researched and is certainly well written. This is a book that reminds as of the dreadful uncertainty of human nature. Such dreadful, barbaric crimes were committed against the Jews and others during WW11 but there were also great acts of kindness and sacrifice. Everyone should read at least one book like this to remind themselves what humans were and are capable of.

300: Rise Of An Empire [DVD] [2013]
300: Rise Of An Empire [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Eva Green
Price: 10.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 14 Jun 2014
We usually love this type of action film but this was awful. The acting was hammy but understandably so because the script was so bad. I actually laughed out loud at some of the dialogue. Development of characters, no. Good storyline, no . Good special effects and cinematography , yes. It depends what you want from a film . If you just want an endless round of cleverly staged battle scenes then this is for you. If you want to care about the story and the characters then don't bother. We actually stopped watching after nearly an hour . That was long enough for us to know we didn't want to waste the rest of the evening.

American Hustle [DVD] [2013]
American Hustle [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Christian Bale
Price: 7.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 30 April 2014
This review is from: American Hustle [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
It's not often I give up on a film but I did on this one. After the hype. I had high expectations but after 90 mins of waiting for something to happen I gave up! It's got to be one of the most boring films I have ever watched.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 4, 2014 4:44 PM BST

Royal & Langnickel Drawing Art Easel Set in Easy to Store Bag
Royal & Langnickel Drawing Art Easel Set in Easy to Store Bag
Price: 29.65

3.0 out of 5 stars Boards missing, 30 Dec 2013
This seemed to be an excellent product and was much appreciated by my granddaughter. However, I have jut been told that the three drawing boards that were supposed to be part of the contents were absent.

66fit Arm and Leg Folding Pedal Exerciser
66fit Arm and Leg Folding Pedal Exerciser
Price: 25.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 30 Dec 2013
I bought pedal exerciser for my husband who has had a stoke. He used one in hospital successfully so after his discharge I thought it would help his recovery at home. Unfortunately it s totally unsuitable and unstable. It is difficult to adjust the foot straps, difficult to use when seated, and lifts from the floor constantly. It is just not heavy enough. I guess I should have known when I saw the reasonable price. You get what you pay for. It may be suitable as a simple exerciser for the able bodied .

Falling and Laughing: The Restoration of Edwyn Collins
Falling and Laughing: The Restoration of Edwyn Collins
by Grace Maxwell
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Reassuring, 24 Sep 2013
My husband had a stroke 9 weeks ago and cannot walk or communicate properly. I was looking for a book about someone with severe aphasia so I could compare notes and perhaps get some hope for the future. I found it in this book. The descriptions of aphasia and other cognitive problems experienced by Edwyn made me feel that we are not alone and that things can, with a bit of determination , get better. Thank you Grace for showing me how , in a year or two this could be us.

London 2012 Olympic Games  [DVD]
London 2012 Olympic Games [DVD]
Dvd ~ Danny Boyle
Offered by Sent2u
Price: 4.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrific value, 2 Mar 2013
If you look back with nostalgia and last years wonderful Olympic Games then buy this DVD and bring back that smile to your face! It is packed full of opening and closing ceremonies and sporting highlights. You can dip into it at your leisure and and notice things you didn't spot when it was live on TV in 2012. It is well edited and fairly comprehensive . Well done BBC . Really good value.

The Artist [DVD]
The Artist [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jean Dujardin
Price: 5.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 2 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Artist [DVD] (DVD)
I have just watched this film on rental and was so bowled over that I have now ordered a copy from Amazon. The film was recommended a while ago by my son and I have only just got around to watching it. The first 15 minutes were slightly underwhelming and I had the feeling that this was not going to be to my taste. I persevered as it had been spoken of so highly. I am so glad I did. As the film went on I forgot it was silent, was enchanted by the moving story and totally impressed by the brilliant acting. It made me smile in many places and on occasion I had a lump in my throat. Having recently been to the cinema to see both Django Unchained (brilliant!) and Les Miserables (overrated) I can honestly say that this film was as good as either of them. There are very few films I would watch more than once and this is one of them! If you are tired of the multi million pound blockbusters that become a tiresome stream of special effects with no story then watch this !

King Charles II
King Charles II
by Lady Antonia Fraser
Price: 7.69

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful read, 20 Feb 2013
This review is from: King Charles II (Paperback)
One of the best historical biographies I have read. Antonia Fraser somehow manages to get to the heart of the matter and makes you think you really know Charles 11. You have the gradual build up from just before the execution of his father , through his wilderness years of exile on the continent , through the joy of his restoration and then his genuine efforts to be a good king. Somehow, despite his extravagances , his string of mistresses and his sometimes misguided policies he is revealed to us as an affable man. He is open, accessible to his subjects and very humane. The author portrays him as someone you would really like to get to know!

The Sweeney [DVD]
The Sweeney [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ray Winstone
Price: 4.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 20 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Sweeney [DVD] (DVD)
If you remember the old tv series " The Sweeney" then don't watch this . If you are too young to remember the original series then don't watch this! It is American style cops and robbers shoot outs filled with gratuitous violence (and I speak as a Quintin Tarrantino fan ) with a totally unbelievable, implausible plot. What a waste of the talents of Ray Winstone and Damian Lewis. I deliberately don't include Ben Drew/Plan B in that statement as I don't known if he has any acting talent. Maybe he does but it is not in evidence of this film.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4