Profile for ricardo > Reviews

ricardo

Painted From Memory
Painted From Memory

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic in the future...?, 4 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Painted From Memory (Audio CD)
I was never a huge vocal fan of either of the talented singer/songwriters here, but appreciated the writing talents immensely of Mr Bacharach & Mr Costello.However, after hearing a few tracks off the album, I was convinced enough that it warranted a purchase and further investigation. Immediately I was taken by the wonderfully smooth, emotional vocal delivery by Elvis Costello (who sings all the tracks) as well as the fabulous lyrics and story told as the album unfolds. With perfectly pitched backing vocals and orchestral arrangements, the album is wonderfully musical and impeccably produced by them both, providing an album of extraordinary depth, range and intensity that at times is uplifting and devastatingly heart breaking. This album has now become one of a handful of albums that I always have at hand whenever I'm away from home...that is the highest praise I can offer...
It is an album that I feel will become an essential purchase for anyone with an interest in genuine song writing genius and will never fail to deliver.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 19, 2011 5:12 PM BST

Symphonicities
Symphonicities

3.0 out of 5 stars A Missed Opportunity...?, 4 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Symphonicities (Audio CD)
From the moment I heard that Sting was putting together an album of orchestral covers of his own material, I was very much looking forward to full scale re-interpretations of some of his finest tunes, especially following the disappointment of his recent 'If On A Winters Night' album. However, despite a couple of real gems, Roxanne and I Burn For You (one of my all time favorite Sting penned songs) and The Pirate's Bride...I feel that many of the chosen tracks just don't work as well with the orchestral arrangements, and come across sounding like they are essentially the same track with an orchestral backing, which I'm sure wasn't Sting's intention here. Some are just downright wrong, 'I Hung My Head' for example, a country ballad tale just doesn't suit this type of manipulation and sits uncomfortably amongst the play list when so many other more appropriate tracks would have been much more appreciated...Walking on the Moon or Message in a Bottle, If You Love Somebody...or any of the Soul Cages tracks would have worked well and sounded great with a full orchestra arrangement in my opinion.
As a long time fan of The Police and Sting's solo work, I feel that this album is again a missed opportunity for the reinvention of some of his most loved songs and could have breathed new life into them. As he so often says himself, he loves to experiment and push the boundaries, I just wish he had this time when he had the opportunity. I only hope that his live performances are not so restrained...