Profile for Ben the Doctor > Reviews

Content by Ben the Doctor

Ben the Doctor "benthedoctor"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Oxford Medicine a Walk Through Nine Centuries
Oxford Medicine a Walk Through Nine Centuries
by Eric Sidebottom

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 4 Nov 2011
Anyone who loves Oxford, especially anyone medical, will be delighted by this short book. I was a medical undergraduate in Oxford and lived there for a further five years - I thought I knew the city well: nonetheless I was surprised to find new and intriguing information on every page. For example, opening the book at random, I certainly didn't know New College was founded in response to the Black Death, on 'the worst plague spot in Oxford, where filth, rotten corpses, intestines of corpses, the dump of the refuse of the town, where thieves and malefactors lie in wait for opportunities of thieving, homicide and other intolerable evils".
Unlike similar books this hasn't been rapidly constructed as part of a series but has been a standalone labour of love for many years by its author - who I gather has financed much of the costs of publication. It will enrich my enjoyment whenever I wander these familiar streets. I wholeheartedly recommmend it. Buy it before it disappears, or you will spend much more once it is sought after and out of print!

The Litigators
The Litigators
by John Grisham

3.0 out of 5 stars Like all the others, 3 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Litigators (Hardcover)
I read this in 24 hours - so I'd have to say it gripped me. However the characters never had any depth, and certainly didn't develop much as individuals. And a quarter of the way through the bok you'd have guessed exactly how it would end.

Nine Inches
Nine Inches
by Bateman

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 16 Oct 2011
This review is from: Nine Inches (Paperback)
Really enjoyed this. Beautifully crafted witty prose. Great to have another Dan Starkey novel. Sad I finished it so soon.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2011 1:34 AM GMT

Difficult Airway Management (Oxford Anaesthesia Library)
Difficult Airway Management (Oxford Anaesthesia Library)
by Mansukh Popat

5.0 out of 5 stars BMA Book Awards Anaesthesia Section First Prize, 16 Sep 2010
It won first prize at the BMA book awards in the Anaesthesia section. The panel commented "This is a well-structuredpocket reference book. It is easy to find relevant materials quickly,and I particularly appreciated the access to further material on theOxford Region Airway Group (ORAG) website. It is a good introduction todifficult airway management, well-targeted to its intended readership.Trainees undertaking airway training blocks would benefit from thisbook, which provides a good compromise between a handy pocketbook andreference text through access to the ORAG website."
(I must declare an interest because I am very proud to have contributed to this book in a small way).

DURAGADGET EVA Hard Case for TomTom Go ONE XL,530,540,550,730,740,750,730,940,950,Via 120 Live

2.0 out of 5 stars Large and Doesn't fit Go 750 live, 9 July 2010
Rather bulky and desn't really fit my Tomtom screen. There is room for the car charger lead (and lots of spare room) but the car mount doesn't fit either. For what it is worth I'd avoid the Go LIve 750 like the plague (see the review I left it0 but if you do I wouldn't buy this case, though it looks durable.

TomTom GO LIVE 750 Sat Nav (discontinued by manufacturer)
TomTom GO LIVE 750 Sat Nav (discontinued by manufacturer)

1.0 out of 5 stars PLEASE READ, 9 July 2010
I didn't beieve previous reviews. Please do. The Tomtom doesn't have a 4GB card as listed on tomtom.com. The 2GB card is NOT big enough to fit the latest maps and only just fits the maps already on the device. There is no room to fit any extras. Barely enough even to fit current fuel prices etc. Your problems will start when you try to download the promised latest map update: it is 1859 MB. There are 127 MB of stuff visible on the device not including the map, but there is a further 21 MB of stuff you can't see or access. It doesn't fit.
Basically you need to buy a MicroSD card to make this work with the latest maps. The only alternative is to accept reduced functionality. Tomtom tell me their latest map is delivered in chunks so you can keep only some chunks on your computer, and download them as you need. Or you could delete postcode search or have no voice instructions.
I am appalled that Tomtom sell the device like this. I spent three or four hours trying to fix the issue with the help of their website (since phone support is only available in office hours), and then 45 minutes on the phone to their customer service centre to establish the above. But I have no faith at all that the website will be updated anytime soon. As you will see form previous reviews they've known for a long time about the 4GB mistake on their website.
I've spoken to Consumer Direct who will take the matter up through Trading Standards, since I was wholy dissatisfied with Tomtom's response. Frankly I've just decided Tomtom is not the company I wish to do business with.
If you buy the device after reading this please buy a memory card. Tomtom customer service tell me it takes up to a 4GB microSD card (Actually at first they said it could take 32 GB but I asked them to check and then said 4GB!). The customer service rep claimed the device would work just as fast from maps o n a card as from the internal memory. But I'd buy from another manufacturer. I've never experienced service like this from any company - not even British Gas in the old days!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 24, 2010 12:03 PM BST

Shades of Grey
Shades of Grey
by Jasper Fforde

5.0 out of 5 stars Near genius, 7 Feb 2010
This review is from: Shades of Grey (Hardcover)
I was bothered that the publication of this novel was delayed - I thought perhaps the book had major weaknesses. I think in fact the delay was because the complexity of writing such a complex novel must take an author an unusual amount of time.
Initially I was also sorry that Fforde didn't give us another book about Thursday Next. I was wrong; this was better. This is an utterly original, witty utopian fantasy. The plot is a compelling page-turner. The romance is touching. I am delighted this seems to be the first of a trilogy. I can't wait for the next installment!
(By the way Jasper Fforde seems a nice chap. After reading one of the previous novels I was intrigued to find Lavoisier, bureaucrat and scientist who named oxygen, cast as a baddie - I emailed him via his website and was delighted to get an almost immediate reply to my question).

Pandaemonium
Pandaemonium
by Christopher Brookmyre

4.0 out of 5 stars High octane, laddish, intellectual, 17 Aug 2009
This review is from: Pandaemonium (Hardcover)
I love Brookmyre's books. This isn't my favourite but is nonetheless excellent. It is full of action but also very funny. There is lots of blood and gore but not horror. The surprising thing is how much well-informed discussion of philosophy and quantum physics is wound into a fast-moving and still very easy-to-read book. The plot is certainly quite different form any other novel I've read before.
I found it difficult to follow some of the scene-setting chapters at the start of the book, and to work out what was actually going on. Descriptions of the scientific facility and its staff weren't successful. But the book was a page-turner for the last two-thirds.
So some brilliant bits. Thought provoking. Very glad I read it. Can't wait for the next one!

The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: or the Murder at Road Hill House
The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: or the Murder at Road Hill House
by Kate Summerscale

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional, 2 Aug 2009
Unlike anything I've read: a whodunnit, but with all dialogue and events taken only from the historical record of a true event. The suspense is maintained till the end. Very easy reading despite using contemporary sources extensively. The activities of daily living, household objects and attitudes of the period are brought magically to life by the extraordinary contemporary detail of witness statements: of course personalities remain more obscure, reflecting the difficulty in capturing character accurately at second hand.
A remarkable achievement. Unforgettable.

Mystery Man
Mystery Man
by Colin Bateman

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 15 Jun 2009
This review is from: Mystery Man (Paperback)
One of my favourite (Colin) Bateman books. I wish I knew another writer of comic thrillers able to out together such a funny and cleverly plotted novel. I loved the craziness of the central character.I like the way Bateman writes about his characters' romantic feelings too!
Brilliant. Utterly brilliant. Better than the last couple. As good as any.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3