Profile for Mr > Reviews

Content by Mr

Mr (Northwood, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Beautiful Practice: An whole-life approach to health, performance and the human predicament
by Frank Forencich

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful inspiring book, 8 Jan. 2015
A wonderful inspiring book. I almost deducted a star because of all the annoying missprints - but that would be churlish. However, future editions need to be properly proofread!

350-1 Logan Compact Elite Mat Cutter 81cm
350-1 Logan Compact Elite Mat Cutter 81cm
Offered by UK Framing Supplies Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant. I've just made my first mount - and ..., 18 Nov. 2014
Absolutely brilliant. I've just made my first mount - and it came out perfectly. It's incredibly easy to use - IF you log on to the website and follow the instruction video. The instructions that come with it are awful.

Eddie O Comfy Sexy Mens Hip Briefs (Small, Black)
Eddie O Comfy Sexy Mens Hip Briefs (Small, Black)

1.0 out of 5 stars rubbish, 6 Nov. 2014
I ordered 2 pairs. One pair had a hole in the side where the stitching had come undone. The other pair now has a hole each side. These are cheap and badly made.

Love Bake Nourish: Healthier cakes, bakes and puddings full of fruit and flavour
by Amber Rose

2.0 out of 5 stars pecan and walnut loaf and it's disgusting. The recipe uses no eggs, 23 Oct. 2014
I was really excited about this book when it first arrived. However, I've just made a date, pecan and walnut loaf and it's disgusting. The recipe uses no eggs, so in order to rise it calls for 1.5 teaspoons of bicarb and 3 generous teaspoons of baking powder. The result is a "loaf" (actually a nasty, sticky lump) that tastes of nothing but bicarb (a key ingredient of baking powder!). I'm all for healthier cakes, but not if they taste like this. I shall be very wary of trying anything else. A complete waste of time and ingredients.

Don Carlo: Salzburg Festival (Pappano) [Blu-ray] [2014] [Region A & B]
Don Carlo: Salzburg Festival (Pappano) [Blu-ray] [2014] [Region A & B]
Dvd ~ Antonion Pappano

5.0 out of 5 stars Suffice it to say that with playing and singing like this, none of it outstays its welcome, 25 July 2014
There's a lot of music here. Every time I here this opera, I hear a bit I've never heard before. Suffice it to say that with playing and singing like this, none of it outstays its welcome. There's nothing to object to in the staging - and nothing particularly exciting either. I've given this five stars mostly because I find Kaufmann and Harteros utterly superb. Of course they can sing the music, with wonderful phrasing and enormous subtlety of dynamics - but it's their acting that moved me. Very few opera singers survive the close up scrutiny of a film camera - and why should they have to indeed? Their final duet is heartbreaking. If you love this piece, then treat yourself. You won't regret it. Oh. The rest of the cast? All excellent - but not of the standard of Kaufmann and Harteros. They are simply in a class of their own.

Aqua Sphere Vista Clear Lens Goggle
Aqua Sphere Vista Clear Lens Goggle
Price: £13.50 - £37.73

5.0 out of 5 stars These goggles are simply the best goggles I've ever had, 14 July 2014
These goggles are simply the best goggles I've ever had. Because I do quite long sessions in the pool, ordinary goggles leave painful dark circles around my eyes. These are incredibly comfortable - and unlike other similarly styled goggles, genuinely water tight. A fantastic product!

Cressi Light Swimming Fins - Blue/Black,8.5/9.5 UK (43/44 EU)
Cressi Light Swimming Fins - Blue/Black,8.5/9.5 UK (43/44 EU)

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 17 Mar. 2014
These arrived in 2 days - and fit perfectly. One review indicated they were too small. I have a broad 44 in running shoes, so I was worried that 43-44 would be too tight. If anything, they're very slightly loose.

Vax W90-RU-P Rapide Ultra 2 Pre-Treatment Upright Carpet and Upholstery Washer
Vax W90-RU-P Rapide Ultra 2 Pre-Treatment Upright Carpet and Upholstery Washer

4.0 out of 5 stars does the job!, 5 Feb. 2014
I refuse to give this 5 stars as it's a carpet cleaner, and I cannot honestly say "I love it"! But, as a carpet cleaner, having just used it for the first time, I'd say it's pretty damn good. It's certainly cleaned a very old and very tired carpet. It's left the carpet just a little damp - but fine to walk on in slippers. The dirty water tank is full of very very dirty water! It wasn't difficult to assemble and it's easy to use. If I were going to grumble it would be about the size and bulk of it - but I suspect it has to be this size to do the job it does so well. I just need to find somewhere to store it now.... At this price (£129) it's certainly a bargain!

Britten: Peter Grimes on Aldeburgh Beach [Arthaus: 108101] [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Alan Oke

3.0 out of 5 stars a curate's egg of a Grimes, 10 Jan. 2014
There are many good things in this dvd. The performances are fine and the production itself has much to recommend it. My main problem is with the whole concept of performing on the beach. Britten's wonderful evocation of a storm is undermined by the weather's obvious failure to oblige. The annoying use of CGI clouds to compensate does not work. Their light is not reflected on the sea itself, and in certain shots, the clouds are not there at all. It's terribly clumsy. When the "curtain" rises on Sunday morning, it's pitch black, and we can't see the sea any more anyway - so we might as well be in the opera house! This may have been a great experience when seen live, but on dvd, it's neither fish nor fowl. Neither a film of the opera - or a film of an opera house performance. Britten creates such wonderful atmosphere in the music itself. Strangely, it works best when darkness falls and the real sea vanishes...... I would certainly say that the second half merits a five star rating - and the ending is tremendously atmospheric.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2014 9:25 AM GMT

Poulenc: Dialogues des Carmelites (Bayerisches Staatsorchester/Nagano) [Blu-ray] [2011]
Dvd ~ Alain Vernhes

4.0 out of 5 stars shame about the ending, 30 Dec. 2013
This is one of my favourite operas. It was the first opera I saw - aged 15 at Covent Garden, with Regine Crespin as the old prioress.
I knew that this was an unconventional production, but I wanted to decide for myself. I have to say, there's much to recommend here.
The updating works well. I love the fact that the nuns all have very individual personalities - some more extreme than others. There are hints at dark, hidden depths in the relationship between Blanche and her brother. The peculiar nature of the "refuge" offered by the Carmelite order is explored to the full. These are damaged and frightened women, seeking some kind of solace - and an escape from the unstable world outside their transparent potting shed. Of course, they aren't dressed as nuns - which can make for some odd textual moments - but I think a sophisticated viewer with an open mind will get much from the fine performances. The acting and singing is superb - as is the conducting and orchestral playing.
HOWEVER, the end is a farce. It just doesn't make sense - musically or dramatically. Which is a huge shame, because overall this is a thoughtful and often inspired production.
Why is Blanche let through the police cordon and allowed to break down the door of the nun's shelter?
Why is there the sound of a guillotine punctuating the singing of the Salve Regina?
Why is there a tiny magician's pop of an explosion when the shed seems to be packed to the rafters with gas canisters?
No. Sorry. It's a terribly disappointing ending and needs re-thinking. Then, it will get 5 stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2014 9:36 AM GMT