Profile for Mr. Euan M. Wilson > Reviews

Content by Mr. Euan M. Wilson

Mr. Euan M. Wilson (Lanarkshire, Scotland)

Southern Freeez (Expanded Edition)
Southern Freeez (Expanded Edition)

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 18 Jan. 2015
sound quality is awful

The Early Years: 1959-1966
The Early Years: 1959-1966

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound quality a little underwhelming, 18 Feb. 2014
I received the box set today after deciding to put some of my older Shads CDs up for sale to refresh my collection. I had hoped that the sound quality on the tracks would generally be a step up from my mid-90s triple CD 'First 20 Years at the Top' but it actually isn't. For the earlier tracks up to Dance On, the single Greatest Hits CD containing both the stereo and (I find generally much punchier) mono mixes is for me the best sound quality by far so I'm going to keep that one afterall. I think I'm also going to have to keep several of the individual CDs I have containing both the stereo and mono mixes e.g. 'Dance With the Shadows' as the sound quality is much better on those as well. I'm giving the box 3 stars because of the range of tracks and the presentation.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 9, 2014 12:14 PM GMT

Total 80s Pop
Total 80s Pop

3.0 out of 5 stars bit disappointed, 18 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Total 80s Pop (Audio CD)
this is a decent compilation with some tracks which don't normally appear on 80's compilations e.g. pepsi & shirlie's "goodbye stranger" but the petula clark track is in fact the 1964 version of Downtown, not "Downtown '88" which is one of the reasons I bought it!

Breaking Away (Special Edition)
Breaking Away (Special Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Disappointing, 24 Aug. 2010
The sound quality is okay, quite a flat sound on several of the tracks and I'm not sure if Step Right Up is the original album track - certainly it does differ a lot from the single version although, in fairness, I never did have the original vinyl album but I do remember the charting single very well nearly 25 years later.

From A Distance: The Event
From A Distance: The Event

4.0 out of 5 stars Great...but!, 30 May 2010
Sound quality wise and number of tracks much better than the old single CD release - the only gripe I have with this is that room wasn't able to be found over the 2 CDs for one of my favourite songs from the original CD release which is the song "All the Time You Need", a beautiful and very powerful ballad, brilliantly performed by Cliff as ever. I don't believe that the song is available on another CD release anywhere so that's a little disappointing.

Odyssey (Native New Yorker)
Odyssey (Native New Yorker)

5.0 out of 5 stars great remaster!, 27 April 2010
Just received this CD today and the sound of this remaster is fantastic. Recommended. Nice art work too.

Heart First
Heart First

2.0 out of 5 stars Big Disappointment, Sorry, 24 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Heart First (Audio CD)
Was really excited when I saw that this was being issued by Cherry Pop. Received the CD today and I'm sorry to say it but the sound quality is very disappointing on certain tracks. Just listening to the extended versions of the 2 big hit singles, the sound is very stale and lifeless. I already have these hits on 12" vinyl singles and the sound quality from them is amazing so I don't know where this CD was mastered from.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2010 4:19 PM GMT

Whitney Houston, The Deluxe Anniversary Edition
Whitney Houston, The Deluxe Anniversary Edition

4.0 out of 5 stars Remaster is a bit disappointing, 11 Feb. 2010
I'm a huge 80's fan and the songs on this Whitney album have a special place for me as they were some of the first records I bought back in '86. I already owned the double CD release with the second 'Whitney' album along with this one and, don't get me wrong, the sound has definitely been improved on this release. Given the quality of most remastered music these days, I was just a little disappointed with this remaster - some of the tracks sound a bit dull and/or lacking depth, like the standard version of 'How will I Know' for instance. Also, I've just compared my 12" vinyl version of the dance mix of 'How Will I Know' (which is a bonus track on the remaster) with the version on the CD and there is a vast difference. The vinyl sounds so much louder and an altogether 'bigger', more vibrant sound. I would have thought that with the technology available and given that this is such a landmark album, a better job could have been done. I'll probably have lots of other Whitney fans slating me for saying that!

Having said all of that, the DVD features look great and it is definitely a welcome release and good value at the price I paid for it so just about 4 stars on balance. I hope that they give Whitney's next couple of albums a similar treatment but with improved sound if at all possible.

Blue Notes
Blue Notes

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Surprise!, 20 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Blue Notes (Audio CD)
As someone who grew up through the 80's and now in my mid-30's, I already have a massive 80's collection and thought it was more or less complete, that was until I found this gem. I must admit that I didn't even know about the album until I saw it on Amazon and, having bought several of Cherry Pop's 80's reissues previously, I thought I'd take a bit of a chance on this one as I hadn't heard any of the tracks before. I've been playing it this afternoon and am so pleased I bought it -I've enjoyed every song so far and to be honest the 3 or 4 tracks I've heard justify buying it without even hearing the other tracks - in particular Act of Mercy and Come On and Find Me - they are so catchy, very much "of the time" in terms of the sound of the music but that's in no way a criticism. Laughter on My Mind is a lovely ballad and very soulful. Thanks, Helen Terry and Cherry Pop!

And They Said It Wouldn't Last - My 50 Years In Music
And They Said It Wouldn't Last - My 50 Years In Music
Offered by SmokeCDs

5.0 out of 5 stars EP Collection Please EMI!, 15 Sept. 2009
This is a great-looking Cliff collection - I won't be buying it as I already have most of Cliff's recordings apart from a few B-sides and EP tracks. EMI were spot on in re-issuing all of Cliff's secular albums remastered with bonus tracks over a period but the one single release that I think most Cliff fans would really love to see is a comprehensive EP Collection featuring the original art work, remastered tracks etc. See For Miles issued a compilation CD/cassette of EP tracks years ago but it has long since been deleted. There is no shortage of sratchy vinyl EPs at record fairs etc. these days going for exorbitant prices - can we please have a comprehensive CD release please EMI so we can all complete our Cliff collections?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 30, 2009 10:10 AM GMT