Profile for Flurominx > Reviews

Paper (Handmade Style)
Paper (Handmade Style)
by Jeanette Bakker

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful and easy to understand, 17 Jan 2012
This review is from: Paper (Handmade Style) (Paperback)
A good book on the basics of paper making. Has some useful and interesting projects in it that could be easily made with a few materials/ tools. Recommended.

BaByliss 2775U 50 mm Big Hair Rotating Styler
BaByliss 2775U 50 mm Big Hair Rotating Styler
Offered by ALL MAX SHOPPING
Price: 79.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome even for short hair, 17 Jan 2012
I did a hell of a lot of research before buying this product (and I mean reading endless blogs/ forums/ feebacks/ etc.) Despite my research I found very little to support what this product might do for my short hair (prob around 3 inches). I took the plunge as there were so many positive reviews and after all, it is essentially a barrel brush and that's what I use on my hair anyway with a hairdryer.

This product is really easy to use. I took to it straight away. The first time I used it, I think I waited too long and let my hair dry too much - this meant that the product didn't activate my styling product and my hair wasn't very big at all! Given that my hair is so short, I literally towel dry/ blast once with my hairdryer and then get to it. I don't bother sectioning my hair (it is very fine as well as short). The product is very easy to operate, and is light. It took me no time at all to dry my hair. Since my first outing with it, I have been able to get amazing hair ever since!

PROS: light/ easy to use/ gives you amazing shine and bounce!/ hair feels AMAZING

CONS: this makes a hell of a noise!/ the end result can look too 'slick' sometimes (I wear my hair quite messy/ textured/ don't expect it to be HUGE, it will just look like a good blow dry

Swoon
Swoon
by Swoon
Price: 19.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous book, 22 Dec 2011
This review is from: Swoon (Hardcover)
If you don't know who SWOON is, buy this book and let this insiprational, highly creative artist into your life. If you do know who she is, this book is a fantastic collection of her work, showing her creative processes with some wonderful images to support. It also contains interviews and essays around her artwork. SWOON is quite political/ ethical so this would appeal to people who are interested in 'green/ sustainable' art too, as well as street art lovers.

Collage Unleashed: Paint, Bind, Stitch, Play
Collage Unleashed: Paint, Bind, Stitch, Play
by Traci Bautista
Price: 16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for students, 22 Dec 2011
I bought this as part of my creative resource library (I teach). There isn't much I would employ myself, but it would be a great book to inspire others -especially those students who find it hard to 'let go' creatively. I also really like the recycling ethos behind the book, that nothing should be wasted and it can all be used creatively. Recommended.

The Art of Annemieke Mein: Wildlife Artist in Textiles
The Art of Annemieke Mein: Wildlife Artist in Textiles
by Annemieke Mein
Price: 10.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Awe inspiring, 22 Dec 2011
Annemieke Mein is a genius with fabric and thread. This is a beautiful book which has plenty of inspiring images in it to get your creative juices flowing. Has some background information on the artist too, so good as part of a creative research library.

49 1/2 Skirts
49 1/2 Skirts
by Alison Willoughby
Price: 11.92

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for inspiration, 22 Dec 2011
This review is from: 49 1/2 Skirts (Paperback)
I buy a lot of 'art' books - this one is great for inspiration and ideas of how to transfer art into a functional wearable thing. I wouldn't wear the skirt style myself, but it does contain the pattern, so if it is your style you could get going straight away. Has some great images of Alison's work too.

PUSH Stitchery (Push (Lark))
PUSH Stitchery (Push (Lark))
by Jamie Chalmers
Price: 17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Really inspiring, 22 Dec 2011
What a fantastic collection of inspiring artists. It was a real eye opener to see the creativity people demonstrate constantly. Buy this and some of the work in it will really blow your mind! I ate this up over breakfast in one sitting, it is definately picture heavy,not much writing at all.

JVC HA-F120-PE IN Ear GUMY Coloured Headphones Pink
JVC HA-F120-PE IN Ear GUMY Coloured Headphones Pink
Offered by Picsio
Price: 5.39

2.0 out of 5 stars rubbish!, 22 Dec 2011
These fell apart not long after I got them. I don't know if it was a dud pair, as I had a pair before hand and they lasted for ages. The sound quality was also pretty terrible, but then you can't expect much for that price!

Street Art Cookbook
Street Art Cookbook
by Benke Carlsson

3.0 out of 5 stars Little bit lacking, 22 Dec 2011
This review is from: Street Art Cookbook (Hardcover)
I bought this book as I thought it was an interesting premise for a book, and also thought it would be useful when teaching (kids can't seem to get enough of street art/graffiti these days). The book is quite a slim volume but it has pretty much everything covered - a lot of 'how tos' including posters/ stickers/stencils mixed in with some interviews with artists who use the different methods of busting out their art. It is a nice book, I just guess I own a lot of the same type of 'street art' book and it didn't really stand out. I'm also not entirely convinced as to the ethics of such a book, but that's a whole different political rant!!

Machine Stitch: Perspectives
Machine Stitch: Perspectives
by Alice Kettle
Price: 24.50

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm in it, so I would love it!!, 22 Dec 2011
I bought this book as not only is is a subject that interests me greatly being a textile/ embroidery artist - but I am actually in it! (I am in the chapter about political embroidery, alongside Grayson Perry nontheless!) Despite this bit of self congratulation, the book itself is awesome - it runs the gauntlet of every type of machine embroidery possible and the wonderful, isnpirational people who use it in their work. It has some great photography and just the right balance of imagery/ analysis. You cannot fail to be inspired by this wonderful book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5