Profile for Flurominx > Reviews

Forever: The New Tattoo
Forever: The New Tattoo
by Robert Klanten

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 14 April 2013
This is a lovely book. I particularly like the way it interviews different artists and it has lots of great imagery. However, I did feel that the artists they chose to look at were often quite similar (there is definately a bias towards more 'old school' heavy black line work here). It is good if you want to see some of the more 'artistic' approaches to tattoo (which I did) - some of the tattooists here are definately artists first and foremost, using the human body as a canvas.

As They Slept
As They Slept

3.0 out of 5 stars Musings on a train, 14 April 2013
This review is from: As They Slept (Kindle Edition)
This is a bit of weird book! The premise is quite interesting (man says he can write a book whilst commuting) and some of it did make me laugh. I didn't pay much for it on kindle but I wouldn't have been happy paying more.

Mappamundi (Richie Littleton Book 1)
Mappamundi (Richie Littleton Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Great, 14 April 2013
Highly predictable and not really much new here. Very much in the same vein as Dan Brown's Da Vinci code so if you like that sort of thing then read it. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Philips GC2910/02 PowerLife Steam Iron, 2000 Watt - Blue
Philips GC2910/02 PowerLife Steam Iron, 2000 Watt - Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Good iron., 14 April 2013
I use this predominatley for quilting and dress making and it does the job. Presses well even without the use of steam too.

Hand Stitch, Perspectives
Hand Stitch, Perspectives
by Alice Kettle

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent compendium, 14 April 2013
Lots and lots of inspiration here. However, I would have liked to have seen more emphasis on contemporary hand embroidery as this is quite heavy on historic/ cultural references. These are great of course, and the images used are lovely (and mostly taken by a course mate of mine!) There is a particularly good bit at the back where they use images from the MMU Embroidery archive to illustrate the different stitches in innovative ways. I may have a particular soft spot for this book as I studied on this course. However, I still highly recommend it.

Memory Professional Artists Gouache Paint Set, 12 Colours in 12ml Aluminium Tubes, Retail Packed
Offered by MEMORY ARTIST PAINT

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and nasty, 14 April 2013
These gouache are really cheap and horrible. Most of the colours are OK but the white (which gets used the most) is really plastiky and dries with a sheen which just looks crap. Do yourself a favour and invest in some worth painting with. You get what you pay for!

Radical Thread: 1962-2012. The 62 Group of Textile Artists Celebrates 50 Years
Radical Thread: 1962-2012. The 62 Group of Textile Artists Celebrates 50 Years
by Lesley Millar

4.0 out of 5 stars Good collection, 14 April 2013
There is lots here for avid textile and embroidery artists and fanatics. Has some great images and good essays/ history of the group. The book itself feels quite cheap though - the front cover is very thin but I expect this is because it is only a small run and it isn't published by a big company.

Copic Multiliner Set (Pack of 8)
Copic Multiliner Set (Pack of 8)

3.0 out of 5 stars good product, 14 April 2013
Good selection of pens and nib sizes here. My only issue is that they do sometimes smudge when you use the copic markers over the top - despite saying they are 'copic proof'. The brush nibs are also quite delicate and can bend on the end easily.

Paper (Handmade Style)
Paper (Handmade Style)
by Jeanette Bakker

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful and easy to understand, 17 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Paper (Handmade Style) (Paperback)
A good book on the basics of paper making. Has some useful and interesting projects in it that could be easily made with a few materials/ tools. Recommended.

BaByliss 2775U Big Hair Rotating Styler
BaByliss 2775U Big Hair Rotating Styler
Offered by Factory Live

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome even for short hair, 17 Jan. 2012
I did a hell of a lot of research before buying this product (and I mean reading endless blogs/ forums/ feebacks/ etc.) Despite my research I found very little to support what this product might do for my short hair (prob around 3 inches). I took the plunge as there were so many positive reviews and after all, it is essentially a barrel brush and that's what I use on my hair anyway with a hairdryer.

This product is really easy to use. I took to it straight away. The first time I used it, I think I waited too long and let my hair dry too much - this meant that the product didn't activate my styling product and my hair wasn't very big at all! Given that my hair is so short, I literally towel dry/ blast once with my hairdryer and then get to it. I don't bother sectioning my hair (it is very fine as well as short). The product is very easy to operate, and is light. It took me no time at all to dry my hair. Since my first outing with it, I have been able to get amazing hair ever since!

PROS: light/ easy to use/ gives you amazing shine and bounce!/ hair feels AMAZING

CONS: this makes a hell of a noise!/ the end result can look too 'slick' sometimes (I wear my hair quite messy/ textured/ don't expect it to be HUGE, it will just look like a good blow dry

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6