Profile for Flurominx > Reviews

Company of Liars
Company of Liars
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 14 April 2013
This review is from: Company of Liars (Kindle Edition)
Really good book. I like my fiction a bit unusual and this ticked all the boxes. I loved the combination of the supernatural and the 'real life' setting during the plague in England. I've bought more of her books off the back of this.

Copic Ciao Marker 5+1 Grey Tone Set
Copic Ciao Marker 5+1 Grey Tone Set
Offered by Graff-City
Price: 11.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Runs out quickly!, 14 April 2013
I gave these a 4 as they are great to work with. I found them easy to blend and create interesting effects with them. I will definately be buying more copic markers (though I may splash out and buy the sketch next time). However, one big issue is that the C-1 (the basic, lightest grey) ran out SO quickly. I have only done about 4 drawings, non particularly big and now it is almost gone. I just ordered a refill though, so at least the fact you can do this is a bonus.

Forever: The New Tattoo
Forever: The New Tattoo
by Robert Klanten
Price: 31.80

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 14 April 2013
This is a lovely book. I particularly like the way it interviews different artists and it has lots of great imagery. However, I did feel that the artists they chose to look at were often quite similar (there is definately a bias towards more 'old school' heavy black line work here). It is good if you want to see some of the more 'artistic' approaches to tattoo (which I did) - some of the tattooists here are definately artists first and foremost, using the human body as a canvas.

As They Slept (The comical tales of a London commuter)
As They Slept (The comical tales of a London commuter)
Price: 1.53

3.0 out of 5 stars Musings on a train, 14 April 2013
This is a bit of weird book! The premise is quite interesting (man says he can write a book whilst commuting) and some of it did make me laugh. I didn't pay much for it on kindle but I wouldn't have been happy paying more.

Mappamundi (Richie Littleton #1)
Mappamundi (Richie Littleton #1)
Price: 1.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Great, 14 April 2013
Highly predictable and not really much new here. Very much in the same vein as Dan Brown's Da Vinci code so if you like that sort of thing then read it. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Philips GC2910/02 PowerLife Steam Iron, 2000 Watt - Blue
Philips GC2910/02 PowerLife Steam Iron, 2000 Watt - Blue
Offered by BPSALESDIRECT
Price: 48.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Good iron., 14 April 2013
I use this predominatley for quilting and dress making and it does the job. Presses well even without the use of steam too.

Hand Stitch, Perspectives (331/3)
Hand Stitch, Perspectives (331/3)
by Alice Kettle
Price: 25.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent compendium, 14 April 2013
Lots and lots of inspiration here. However, I would have liked to have seen more emphasis on contemporary hand embroidery as this is quite heavy on historic/ cultural references. These are great of course, and the images used are lovely (and mostly taken by a course mate of mine!) There is a particularly good bit at the back where they use images from the MMU Embroidery archive to illustrate the different stitches in innovative ways. I may have a particular soft spot for this book as I studied on this course. However, I still highly recommend it.

Memory Professional Artists Gouache Paint Set, 12 Colours in 12ml Aluminium Tubes, Retail Packed
Offered by ENERGY SAVING DEALS
Price: 19.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and nasty, 14 April 2013
These gouache are really cheap and horrible. Most of the colours are OK but the white (which gets used the most) is really plastiky and dries with a sheen which just looks crap. Do yourself a favour and invest in some worth painting with. You get what you pay for!

Radical Thread: 1962-2012. The 62 Group of Textile Artists Celebrates 50 Years
Radical Thread: 1962-2012. The 62 Group of Textile Artists Celebrates 50 Years
by Lesley Millar

4.0 out of 5 stars Good collection, 14 April 2013
There is lots here for avid textile and embroidery artists and fanatics. Has some great images and good essays/ history of the group. The book itself feels quite cheap though - the front cover is very thin but I expect this is because it is only a small run and it isn't published by a big company.

Copic Multiliner Set (Pack of 8)
Copic Multiliner Set (Pack of 8)
Price: 22.03

3.0 out of 5 stars good product, 14 April 2013
Good selection of pens and nib sizes here. My only issue is that they do sometimes smudge when you use the copic markers over the top - despite saying they are 'copic proof'. The brush nibs are also quite delicate and can bend on the end easily.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5