Profile for selma_hepburn > Reviews

Painless [DVD]
Painless [DVD]
Dvd ~ Àlex Brendemühl

4.0 out of 5 stars A Little Gem!!!, 2 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Painless [DVD] (DVD)
Now upon seeing the cover of this film in my local supermarket I was ready to condem Painless as another crappy horror but for £7 I was willing to be disproved, and oh boy was I!

Painless tells of a group of children in the 1930s who cannot feel pain. For their own protection, and that of others they are locked away in those good old horror staples... Padded cells. However a German Dr interested in their cases comes to train them to live normal happy clappy lives however one little boy develops an impressive knowledge of anatomy...... Add civil war and Nazi German occupation into the mix and a talent for anatomy soon transfers into other more sinister hobbies! Running alongside this historical narrative is the story of a modern Dr diagnosed with cancer who is somehow linked to the fearful asylum events.

Okay so it sounds a little bit of a 'seen that got the t shirt' concept, but it really isn't. Not playing for frights and jumps, Painless focuses the almost Frankensteinesque theme of humanity and in exploring who is the real monster. It is multi layered and at times very moving. Being compared to Pans Labyrinth on the box cover, Painless is beautifully shot and superbly acted althiugh there are no fantasy like PL and personally I enjoyed Painless far more.

If you are after a 'wet your pants' ditty Painless is not for you. If you are after something with a bit more substance give it a whirl, like me you may be pleasantly surprised.

The Quiet Ones [DVD] [2014]
The Quiet Ones [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Jared Harris

4.0 out of 5 stars For your consideration........., 18 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Quiet Ones [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
Now I've seen a far amount of crappy horror films, films I have brought with the hope of a fright be it big or small. Just something a little different, a little thrilling and without the usual 'trying to make you jump' moments. Most of my hopeful purchases find their way into charity shops however for me the Quiet Ones will not one of them.

Invoking the spirit of early 1970s psychological experiences The Quiet Ones uses both found footage and more standard storytelling to show a scientific investigation into the paranormal. But this film isn't intended to be some exorcism on screen (which are overdone), it's not high gore (yawn), or dead bodies by the bucket load (meh). The Quiet Ones does an impressive job of transporting you back to the 70s with great set design, a fantastic naturalistic score and dare I say it some stella acting!

Admittedly its not really going to set the box office alight as their are some flaws with the script which at times feels uninventive but I have to say I generally found it enjoyable and can certainly see myself going in for multiple re-watches. If you've ever seen the British Horror Fracture it sort of reminds me of that in some strange way.... I suppose its because compared to the US horror its more understated.

So I ask that before you poo poo, have a little looky and make your own mind up about this horror offering.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 6, 2014 1:20 PM BST

1980s Style Record Player Turntable - Mains Electric or Battery - Built in Amp & Speakers - Portable / Carry Handle - Nostalgic Retro Design (Mains adapter Included) (Neon Green)
Offered by Digitalis Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars It spins me right round baby, right round!!!!, 2 May 2014
This is my first record player and I am utterly pleased with its quality. It plays all speeds with no bother and you can listen to both new and old vinyl hitch-free!!! The player itself is very lightweight, the colour is simply amazing and as for sound quality I really couldn't be happier. Cheap, cheerful and its does the job with style!!! Highly recommended!!!!

Beyond: Two Souls (PS3)
Beyond: Two Souls (PS3)
Offered by Digitalville UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional sophistication, 26 Dec. 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
What a fine year for PS3 gaming 2013 has been!
From Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite to Ni no Kumi and The Last of Us, 2013 has certainly thrown some challenges our way. To end the year however Beyond 2 Souls presents a completely different gaming experience....

B2S is not a game to test your endurance or logic but one that attacks you on a more emotional level. Perhaps best seen as an `interactive movie', as other reviewers have noted, B2S is beautifully directed and features some staggering acting from the leads. Its narrative is engrossing and its setting varied. While I completely understand that many gamers will find the pace and the action content unchallenging, which is a fair enough comment, for me personally it ranks as one of the best games of the year with an ending that made me weep like a baby. It has replay potential as you can return to unlock extras, collect trophies and see all possible alternatives. If you buy B2S thinking `interactive movie' I don't think you will be disappointed as B2S is simply stunning and shows that modern gaming is not just about fast, gratifying action but at times sentiment and emotional sophistication. A vital addition to any gaming collection.

BEHOLD JERUSALEM !
BEHOLD JERUSALEM !
by Graham K. Griffiths

5.0 out of 5 stars More details, 26 Oct. 2012
This review is from: BEHOLD JERUSALEM ! (Paperback)
Information from the Book's blurb:

The discovery of the most terrifyingly beautiful natural phenomenon ever to confront the eyes of man...

* The 12 signs of the zodiac (including a near 50 mile tall crucified Christ in Cumbria) miraculously profiled in the coastlines of Britain and N. Ireland - a picture of heaven on earth

* Equally remarkable, these figures are enormous mirror images of those found some 70 years ago mysteriously landscaped in a 10 mile diameter circle in Glastonbury, Devon. That same 10-mile circle, now precisely delineating the starry eye of the 155-mile long Piscean fish!

*Speaking of eyes, many place names actually verify the wonder underfoot - the eye of Sagittarius being beneath the Suffolk town of Eye! Seems then we may not be the first to know of this enchanted floor plan....

Was the reason behind the boy Jesus' supposed visit to Britain to experience himself already crucified on a cross 300 miles tall? To follow his recorded footsteps through Pisces will be to tempt a 'yes'!

Was Jason's search for the Golden Fleece carried out on these starry shores? Certainly, such is mapped out amidst the fleece of Yorkshire's constellation of Aries.
Was the Arthurian quest for the Holy Grail purposefully played out around this landscaped map of the heavens? When I take you to Cumbria's great green Christ you will see that very cup, 672ft high, and named for what it is, poignantly placed at his side wound in stunning testament to the legend.

Where the Egyptians aware of Britain's miracle when they pinpointed the Fields of the Blessed/ Underworld over the western Horizon? For sure, we'll find both word and picture of their lord of the Underworld, Osiris, inscribed all over these western fields.
Indeed, it will seem that the mythology of many cultures has been stored in these revelatory fields, especially when the extraordinary graphic clues in the map suggest that Noah's ark (the flood being a near global myth) was, or WILL BE, these British Isles.
But this is just the tip of the Iceberg

*To journey through these topographical constellations, registering as we go the startling evidence on the ground, will be to decode a 300x300 mile pictogram to the conclusion that the very Earth herself is desperately trying to speak to us - trying, via the universal language of mythology, to warn us that all creation stands at this moment upon a monumental brink. One of either pending catastrophe or, if we have the perception, one over which we can make a evolutionary leap, hand in hand which nature, into a new golden age - a new global spanning Jerusalem - a heaven on Earth, hence Britain's Prophetic shape!

The odyssey awaiting the open-minded reader is like no other. Perchance a few will return with lives of uplifted and a love for this planet bordering on the painful. ...If not a fluke, staggering will the implications be.

From the Publisher:
In this book author Graham Griffiths presents a staggering portfolio of the evidence that will fundamentally change the reader's conception of mythology and nature. In his work Griffiths demonstrates how the British Isles are powerfully marked by the 12 zodiacal constellations, constellations etched in the landscape, evidenced in place names, and local mythology and visually documented through a series of beautiful illustrations by the author. Furthermore Griffiths demonstrates through the use of legends and myths from all countries and religions how the landscape of Britain, of the planet is sending to us a vital message about our own moral existence. This limited edition book is a treasure for generations, and might just prove to be a poignant marker for those who we leave this Earth to.
The book is a limited edition of only 1000 copies, all hand signed by the author himself.

From the Inside Flap:
He was eleven years old when he first spotted four giants profiled in the coastal shape of Britain. He thought nothing of it at the time. Seventeen years later he stumbled upon a book containing silhouetted replicas of his four childhood giants. However, these were but four in a circle of twelve zodiacal figures as found in the 1930s by Katherine Maltwood and seemingly sculpted via the uncanny artistry of steams, ancient track ways and contours in the vicinity of Glastonbury, Devon. The enigmatic ten-mile circle those figures form since became known as the Glastonbury Zodiac. Until then Graham hadn't even realised his own giants were astrological.

Using Maltwood's giants as templates, at the age of 42 he had found virtual duplicates of those remaining eight Glastonbury figures fitting exactly the rest of Britain and N. Ireland's coastline. A further ten years on and what you now hold in your hands is geological, historical, mythological, religious - you name it - it's dynamite!
But Graham is a reluctant author; feels out of his depth, indeed feels shanghaied into having to tell this tale - shanghaied, because his conscience insisted it could be too important not to tell. The result is that his down-to-earth passion and, at time raging self-doubt, leaps off the page. In truth, he hardly dares himself to believe in what he has discovered - because surely it's all too beautiful to be true? The implications too damned earth shaking to be taken seriously? Thus, he merely asks is to look with new eyes at the disarming evidence on the ground, thereafter to make of it what we will. As for Graham, his task, indeed what has become his unplanned life's work, is done. He can now return to his paintbrushes, for like Maltwood, he too is an artist. It seems artists have an eye for that which others have been blind to.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Passion: Book 3 of the Fallen Series
Passion: Book 3 of the Fallen Series
by Lauren Kate

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected.... BEST IN THE SAGA!!!!!, 26 Jun. 2011
I have to say that this is probably my favourite in the Fallen series to date but I must say it is completely different to the other two that have gone before it so I suspect that it will not be to everyone's taste. The whole premise of this instalment is a time trotting Luce who continuously visits her previous lives. Featuring England (hurray!!!), Egypt, France, China and the Mayan era, to name but a few, Luce visits her previous incarnations in order to uncover the truth about her relationship with Daniel and the curse they share. As such Luce is never really in one place and as a reader you are thrown... alongside Luce... into a series of different locations and eras. For me this is a real mental treat allowing your imagination to conjure so many distinct and varied locations all in the one book! Lauren Kate does a excellent job jumping from one place to the next giving just enough detail for us to immerse ourselves in the new location while never losing sight of Luce and Daniel's plight. This is a rather brave choice by Lauren Kate as it is bound to alienate some of her readers used to Luce and a close circuit of friends bumbling through some school. But for me this is a breath of fresh air. As much as I love the other two books Passion steps away from them while allowing us to connect closer to the Luce and Daniel relationship than ever before. Okay so the friends Luce has made in her journey only make small appearances but the connection we make with Luce makes it all worthwhile. I think such a change was needed to keep the interesting and original and not just a another `twilight-esque' love story. With Passion the Fallen saga has really come into its own as one of the best YA series available. At the end of this book I felt for the first time that I truly believed in the Luce-Daniel saga and was left dying to know what will happen next.... Passion will fire you up for Rapture next year!

Strange Angels
Strange Angels
by Lili St Crow

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring read but above all offensive!!!!, 2 May 2011
This review is from: Strange Angels (Paperback)
Perhaps I'm not the best person to write a review on this book simply because I couldn't be bothered to read it all the way through! Oh yes it was really good *sense the sarcasm!!!*
Anyway the one thing I really want to comment on, which other reviewers haven't, is it the slightly racist tone in the opening of the book. One of the characters, Graves, is part asian..... no problem there cause I love asians!!! But a MAJOR problem is the fact that the lead charcter refers to him several times as a 'half breed' and even says... and I quote... "at least he hadn't drawn the really slit-eyed card that a lot of half breeds have". Frankly when I read this I was appaulded and I don't think it is a case of me being overly sensitive. There is no indication that the character Dru is saying this to be deliberatly offensive... if the character was written as ignorant idiot it would be excusable..... but oh no it is passed in the book as a 'normal' observation which is the worse part of it all. It may be okay to use such term where Ms Lili St Crow comes from but over here it is a different story and the term 'half breed' is not just offensive to part asians but to any mixed raced person!!! This, coupled with ultra boring 'i've read that before' charcters and plotline pretty much put me off reading the book. If I was you try the Mortal Instuments series City of Bones (Mortal Instruments) or the Fallen/ Torment/ Passion trilogy Fallen... these books are better written and offence free!!!

Kamui - The Lone Ninja Blu-ray
Kamui - The Lone Ninja Blu-ray
Dvd ~ Ken'ichi Matsuyama
Offered by Springwood Media

1.0 out of 5 stars I'd rather watch paint dry!!!!!!!!, 23 April 2011
Kamui is one of those very rare films where..... you switch it off out of complete boredom and annoyance!!! Oh yes the film is so dire that I didn't even want to waste a further hour of my life so I switched it off halfway through!!!
Being a MASSIVE martial arts fan and particularly of those from Japan AND also a Kenichi Matsuyama fangirl I had high expectations for Kmaui. There I was expecting something between Death Note and Azumi but in the first 5 minutes I knew I wasn't going to be getting that at all. Firstly all the fights scenes I managed to watch were truely terrible because they were simply CGI generations without any skill being involved. Too many wires and dodgy graphics were used to make up for the fact that none of the actors knew the first thing about screen fighting. Frankly it was painful to watch! Then there were many unecessary uses of CGI... running deer in the woods, birds, back flips... all things that would have been better shot in live action and probably a whole lot easier and cheaper too!!!
But the main down point (as if the shoddy fake fights weren't bad enough) was the truely hateful narrative. This lone Ninja gets into a couple of scapes, gets washed up on some island and saves a bloke called Hanbi who was sentenced to death for cutting off some lord's horse's leg. Personaliy I would have been happy to see Hanbi get a good beheading for that so Kamui saving him seemed really pointless as you ahve no real sympathy for the charcater's imminent death. Then as they escape by sea they are attacked by sharks (yes attacked by awful CGI sharks) and THEN saved by pirates... ooohhhh yesss sharks and pirates in a martial arts film! The excitement was just too much for me at this point *uses sarcastic tone* and I decided to eject the disc and put in Kitamura's Verses instead... now that's entertainment!!!!!
If you like trashy rubbish or are a hard core Kenichi Matsuyama fan go ahead and watch it. If you actually want to do something more wortwhile with your time go and watch paint dry cause it would sure beat watching this rubbish!!!

Kamui - The Lone Ninja [DVD]
Kamui - The Lone Ninja [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ken'ichi Matsuyama

1.0 out of 5 stars I'd rather watch paint dry!!!!, 23 April 2011
This review is from: Kamui - The Lone Ninja [DVD] (DVD)
How one reviewer claimed this was a wonderful ninja film I will never know... if you like trashy rubbish or are a hard core Kenichi Matsuyama fan go ahead and watch it. If you actually want to do something more wortwhile with your time go and watch paint dry cause it would sure beat watching this rubbish!!!

The Time Traveller - The Girl Who Leapt Through Time [DVD]
The Time Traveller - The Girl Who Leapt Through Time [DVD]
Dvd ~ Riisa Naka

5.0 out of 5 stars Well it's about time!!!, 18 April 2011
Starring the fantastic Naka Riisa, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is the live version adaptation from the Yasutaka Tsutsui book of the same name. After her mother is taken to hosiptal Makoto finds a special formula for travelling back in time. Upon her mother's request she journies back into a 1970s Japan in order to meet with a mysterious boy and deliver a secret message to him from her mother. Okay so it all sounds a little 'Life On Mars' and if you loved that series you will also enjoy this as you follow a lovable Makoto bumble about trying to convience everyone she isn't mad but form the future. Of course there are clever and indeed heartbreaking story loops running throughout and you will find that events of the present only become significant after Makoyo's adventures in the past.
There are alot of Japanese films now avalible here in the UK (thank God!!!) and this one is a refeshing addition to those others. If you are looking for blood, fights and bizarreness you won't really find it here but if you want a touching and imaginative tale this will certainly be for you. All I can say is its about time this fantastic peice of Japanese cinema and tha amazing actress Naka Rissa finally had their UK debut!!!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 16, 2012 12:04 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3