Profile for dc > Reviews

Lipstick on Your Collar [DVD] [1993]
Lipstick on Your Collar [DVD] [1993]
Dvd ~ Ewan McGregor

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Potter's best, 2 Dec. 2011
This is a brilliant teleplay, its fun and liveliness making it definitely one of Dennis Potter's more accessible. It lacks the misanthropic loathing of humanity that informs so much of his work, making it more of a vibrant romp than, say, Pennies From Heaven or The Singing Detective. Ewan MacGregor is as charming as you could want him to be, and the musical numbers seem to make more sense here than in some of Potter's other works. We still have the insistence that popular music drives our lives and our reactions to events--here the argument is between MacGregor's character and the American girl who captivates him; secondary characters are more nuanced than in other Potter plays, and we don't have quite the feeling that each person is completely isolated from the rest of the world. Many, if not most, of the characters have some redeeming quality--even the brutal and abusive Pete shows an almost redemptive human side. Yet, while not completely isolated, we still see the inability people have to truly connect with one another, and the disappointing tendency we have of projecting our ideals onto people who never entirely merit the golden light we cast them in. Thus we have, ultimately, another heartbreaking glimpse into Potter's all-too-apt appraisal of humanity; this one just doesn't leave us quite so raw and bleeding as others do.

The Shakespeare Collection [DVD] [1978]
The Shakespeare Collection [DVD] [1978]
Dvd ~ Alan Rickman

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive Shakespeare, 9 May 2010
This set embraces the complete plays of Shakespeare, as filmed by the BBC back in the late 70s-early 80s. A couple of the versions are pretty bad - notably Jane Howell's experimental approaches to "Titus Andronicus" and "The Winter's Tale", and a few seem rather static ("All's Well That Ends Well", in particular), but most range from good to great, and nowhere else will you find filmed versions of some of these plays. The acting is in most cases superb--Michael Hordern, Robert Lindsay, Anton Lesser, Cherie Lunghi, Pippa Guard--and there are a few delightful surprises for those who missed this series when it aired on television originally--the Who's Roger Daltry in "The Comedy of Errors", and Leonard Rossiter from "Rising Damp" and "The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin." Rossiter in particular is a revelation as the title character in the intensely serious "King John." And for those of you who only know Ken Colley as Admiral Piett from the "Star Wars" series, you'll be utterly charmed with his Duke Vincentio in "Measure for Measure." (And for those of you who only know Ken Colley as Admiral Piett from the "Star Wars" series, shame on you -- go rent "Pennies From Heaven" immediately!)

Highly recommended, and amazingly affordable - buy now, before they realize they're letting this amazing jewel go for a mere three dollars per play, including shipping to the USA! For Americans, if you don't already have a multi-region DVD-player, you can get one from amazon.com for about 100 dollars and still be saving money on this incredible series.

Marple: The Complete Collection [DVD]
Marple: The Complete Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Geraldine McEwan

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun, 29 Dec. 2007
I was lucky, I guess, to come into this series with no expectations. I haven't read the books, I'm not a fan, and I bought the series only because Lee Ingleby appears in one segment ("Nemesis").

Of course I watched the Ingleby segment first, and of course I liked it. He's really an astonishing actor. But then, having paid for the thing, I decided I really ought to watch the other episodes as well. I thought they were all quite watchable and entertaining. Not having the original stories to depend on was no doubt a point in my favor, as I wasn't making comparisons all the way through. The stories were twisty and fairly clever, clean (no small thing nowadays) and a very pleasant way to spend an evening.

I recommend them to anyone who enjoys the likes of "Magnum PI," "Murder She Wrote," and that sort of light fare-ish, character-driven mystery/crime story.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2008 7:17 PM BST

Kenneth Grahame's The Wind In The Willows (Standard Edition) [DVD] [2007]
Kenneth Grahame's The Wind In The Willows (Standard Edition) [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Matt Lucas
Offered by DaaVeeDee-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly charming, 26 Jan. 2007
A friend of mine was kind enough to burn me a DVD from the TV presentation, and send it to me in America. I was delighted, as I had been looking forward to it for some time and take for granted it will not come to the US.

I was not disappointed. This film is completely wonderful, from the saturated colors of the landscapes to the marvelously witty and creative camera work, to the absolute perfection of the actors in their roles -- each one entirely believable as the creature he was meant to be. Mark Gatiss' Rat was a bit underplayed--it was only on second viewing that I became aware of the subtleties of his performance: the little ratlike twitches of the nose and the occasional baring of the teeth. Bob Hoskins gave a workmanlike performance as Badger, and of course Matt Lucas' Toad fairly stole the show.

But the absolute revelation of the film was Lee Ingleby as Mole. Somehow in watching him I was able to see two presences onscreen at the same time: the full-scale human and a tiny shadowy creature of delicacy, timidity and great vulnerability. The humble little Mole, so earnest and willing to please, is of course the center and the heart of the story, and Ingleby brought him to life with extraordinary grace, sensitivity and humor. His parting line, "Perhaps there's room in the world for all sorts of creatures" [paraphrased] is a lesson to be lived by even today.

This is not the "Wind in the Willows" you grew up with. This is live actors in limited make-up, breathing life into the characters through their own talent, rather than through special effects. (Though there are a few of those too, and quite clever ones at that.) As soon as a commercial release of the DVD becomes available (March 26), I have every intention of buying it. My first copy will likely be well-worn long before then.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 6, 2014 3:35 PM BST