Profile for Eric Chantler > Reviews

Eric Chantler

Page: 1 | 2
Samsung S5360 Galaxy Y Sim Free Mobile Phone - Metallic Gray
Samsung S5360 Galaxy Y Sim Free Mobile Phone - Metallic Gray
Offered by total digital stores

3.0 out of 5 stars Outdated, 1 Mar. 2015
When I got one of these, in 2012, it was pretty good value for money. Two years later, it was just not functioning any more. The phone is full of bloatware and as app sizes slowly keep increasing with every update, the 180mb of memory is just not enough. (Facebook was 5mb and is now 50, same story for lots of apps one might find essential). I got around this issue by rooting the handset and copying apps to the SD card. I also performed regular wipes. It was very tedious just to keep working and it began to crash more and more.

I was trying to push it past it's intended use but unless you have very basic needs, you will have to do so. I also got mine for 20 quid in a deal at my local store and would never recommend it for the price on here (currently 80).

If you want a value handset, look at a huawei or Moto E, they are much more reliable and up to speed with current tech.

There are a few pros of the Y: the audio was very good and I enjoyed listening to it much more than I do on some other devices. Also, it was a very compact size which I prefer over the large handsets available today. It was lightweight and comfortable to hold. Mine also survived many drops and other abuse.

It is also worth mentioning that it runs android 2.3, which is very very out of date and many apps will not even run on it.

Edifier R1280T Wired Active
Edifier R1280T Wired Active

5.0 out of 5 stars I highly recommend this product!, 28 Feb. 2015
I have had these for a couple of months now. They are very impressive! They are very clean and the sound is so immersing. I got them for producing music in my bedroom and they are adequate. Considering the price, I would recommend these to anybody not yet willing to spend hundreds on high-end monitors when the difference will be barely audible. I also find they are very enjoyable for gaming and watching films and tv etc. They fill me whole (admittedly small) bedroom with a lush sound listening to them is such a good pleasure. I usually have them playing with a sub as well, I like a good sub. The bass on these doesn't go very low but where it falls off, it does so gracefully. There is no horrible boomy bass or over exaggerated frequencies (as long as you don't turn up the bass too much on the tone control or crank them to the highest volume).
Paired with a sub-woofer, these speakers are perfect for most small and amateur applications. I intend to use them as I study music tecnology at university next year and I am sure they will serve me well!

The build quality is very good- they are solid and reassuringly weighty. The front cloths are removeable and I think they look much better with the drivers exposed. They come with a couple of metres of very nice speaker cable and some aux cables to plug them into a phone or laptop.

The remote control works and is a very nice touch.

Note: they sound best when placed properly i.e. at ear level and in with the listener and the two speakers making a rough equilateral triangle.
To achieve this position, miner are on custom stands I made from Lego (which double as CD racks :D )

Mary Anne Hobbs - Evangeline
Mary Anne Hobbs - Evangeline
Offered by jim-exselecky

4.0 out of 5 stars some good tracks and a dark, 14 Dec. 2014
Goes in hard and deep, some good tracks and a dark vibe

Outrospective
Outrospective
Offered by Giant Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars A great album full of bangers and chillout, 14 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Outrospective (Audio CD)
A great album full of bangers and chillout. The poetic lyrics are mesmerising and the beats are superb.
This album is deep.

Great Western Laymen
Great Western Laymen
Offered by Giant Entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting stuff but it wasn't to my taste. It ..., 14 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Great Western Laymen (Audio CD)
Interesting stuff but it wasn't to my taste. It is one of those things which isnt really an everyday listen for me. Perhaps if I sat down and just played it through, it would make more sense but the tracks just feel out of place whenever they come up in shuffle.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars This could be what you are looking for, 14 Dec. 2014
This phone is a real mixed bag.
I have had a few issues with it.
The sound it gives through headphones seems to lack a good bass response, compared to other devices such as an ipod and other android phones (tested with the same headphones of course). I find this noticeable during my everyday listening and it is quite a shame that even eq cant do much to sort it out.
The battery life is god awful, can't leave home for more than a few hours when connected to data.
The os seems a bit buggy and it often starts crashing towards the end of a days use (fixed by a rebooting everythime but annoying). It is generally quite slow and there is lag to open up apps and navigate on the os.
The screen looks really good though and it has enough memory for all my apps and media. The dual sim works perfectly and is very handy and the phone looks great.

For a casual user, it is probably ok but when I go to university and require faster and more reliable technology to cope with my social life which will of course become a lot more hectic.

As a lazy teenager who sits around at home watching youtube on the phone and not much else, this does the job fine and was nice and cheap.

Don't be fooled into thinking this thing is perfect but for some, it could be adequate.

Ex-Pro® - ProAV OFC Gold - Audio Cable 6.35mm Socket to 3.5mm Jack Adapter - 0.3m [30cm]
Offered by Sivitec_Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, 20 Sept. 2014
The casing works its way loose quite frequently, causing the signal to go all weird. If you wiggle it around and screw it back in place it generally works ok but can be fiddly and annoying. It was a bargain but next time I will consider sacraficing more money for a less temperamental product.

Chilled Deep Dubstep
Chilled Deep Dubstep
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars Bantastic dubz, 20 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Chilled Deep Dubstep (Audio CD)
Simply amazing compliation. Full of tunes and great for chilling to. One of my favorites!

SoundMAGIC PL11 Earphones - Gunmetal
SoundMAGIC PL11 Earphones - Gunmetal
Offered by Advanced MP3 Players

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but try the pl21s, 20 Sept. 2014
These served me admirably but I recently upgraded to a pair of soundmagic pl21s and would recommend them by far. If your buget allows, but the pl21s instead, the pl11s have much less bass.

SoundMAGIC PL21 Earphones - Black
SoundMAGIC PL21 Earphones - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy these, listen to "Nightmares in Reality" by Culprate, be very satisfied, die a happy person knowing that you bought these., 20 Sept. 2014
I previously had the soundmagic e-11 earphones and loved those. They broke after six months but I do tend to abuse my headphones with very heavy use. after looking at many other brands, I decided to stick with soundmagic as their other product was so good for me. These are considerably nicer than the e-11 earphones and that is quite impressive. The highs and mids are the same but the pll21s have a much deeper bass response, resulting is my music sounding about as full as in ear monitors will ever manage. I havent measured them but in comparison with my hifi speakers, I would say that these earphones go down to around 30 hz before you get any rolloff. With dsp on my phone, I can boost the <30hz region a few db and they sound simply amazing. The deepest wobbles of my dubstep (dubby deep dubstep) are very penetrating.
Imagine the effect of adding a very expensive subwoofer to a pair of very expensive bookshelf speakers. That is the kind of effect swapping the e-11s for the pl21s has.
Admittedly without a little dsp the sub bass is less mindblowing but it's still there and for non bass orientated music is about right.
I turn off my dsp for listening to things such as Opeth and A7X, dsp on for the likes of trolley snatcha and culprate.

Overall, these provide me with a completely satifying musical experience when faced with even very demanding styles. I would definitely reccomend these, as well as the brand in general. Also have a look at the more expensive soundmagics; my budget couldn't stretch to them but they are likely to be just as good, if not better.

I'm in love.