Profile for Elaine Simpson-long > Reviews

Content by Elaine Simpson...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 738

Elaine Simpson-long (Colchester, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dettol Mould and Mildew Remover Spray 750 ml (Pack of 3)
Dettol Mould and Mildew Remover Spray 750 ml (Pack of 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye Mould, 26 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I live in a small block of flats which is not well insulated so in the winter months I get condensation and mould round my windows and have to keep a sharp eye out for it. I had trouble getting rid of it until this was recommended to me and now I am never without it. A spray and leave for five minutes and those nasty little black spores vanish. I also use it in the bathroom to keep the grouting in the tiles clear and have also used it to keep the rubber ring on my washing machine clear of all the gunge that builds up. I am not a woman who raves about household products but this one is well worth keeping in your cupboard under the sink

Masha
Masha
by Mara Kay

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Joy to read this again, 8 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Masha (Paperback)
This is one of those books that I read and re-read so many times in my youth. I simply loved it and ended up with a withdrawn copy which the librarian gave me as she said I had earned it! Sadly, somewhere along the way it vanished. The original is available online if you have about £150 to spare so it is obviously a difficult book to track down.

I see from all the reviews below that everyone is wishing that this book could be available again and now it is! Margin Notes Books have republished Masha and they were kind enough to send me a copy. I devoured it in one afternoon and loved it all over again, and I cried all over again. Sometimes when you revisit favourite books you can be disappointed but not this time. I was transported back to my old junior library and to Miss Collins who became my great friend and let me take out twice the number of books I was allowed as I read so many.

Masha travels to St Petersburg from her home in the country to attend the Smolni Institute for Noble Girls. Her family are impoverished though she qualifies by her noble birth. Girls were expected to study at the Institute for the full course of nine years and spend all their holidays at school. This means a parting from her widowed mother and the possibility that she may not seen her again. Masha is quiet and shy and has a hard time of it at first as she inadvertently lets out a breaking of the rules by other boarders when she is being interviewed. Innocently done but she is ignored and treated coldly on her arrival.

Alone in the garden one day she stumbles upon a tiny birch tree.

"The tree was a poor sight, with its pitifully thin trunk and its small leaves hanging forlornly from scrawny branches.........'Now look here' she whispered 'don't be so unhappy. You feel uncomfortable because you are new but it will pass. I made a terrible mistake you know and now the girls will never speak to me again.......we both feel lonely so shouldn't we be friends? I will come to visit you and I will tell you all my secrets...."

Throughout her years at the Institute Masha talks to the tree and when, years later she is chosen to be a lady in waiting and leaves Smolni, she returns.

"Overcome by dreams she stood looking upward at the branch, now high among the leaves....with a laugh Masha flung her arms around the birch tree....'It is not a fairy tale I am going to live with a beautiful princess and be her failthful lady in waiting"

What a joy it was to read this again. As I said it reduced me to tears several times and as soon as I had read the last page I rushed to see if I could purchase the Youngest Lady in Waiting but, alas, they are well out of my price range. So I am sending a heartfelt plea to Margin Notes Books to see if you can republish that title as well. You will have my undying gratitude.

A simply gorgeous book, rich in history and touching and true .Marvelous description of life amongst all the pupils, the excitement of feast days, visit from the Imperial family, all vividly described. Please do get hold of a copy, read and let me know what you think. Ostensibly a book for young readers and teenagers, it can be read by adults as well, in fact I think I enjoyed it even more this time.

Wonderful.

Hidden
Hidden
by Emma Kavanagh

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 6 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Hidden (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this book very difficult to get on with. The premise sounded good and as I am a huge crime fan I was looking forward to reading it. I have read other reviews and see a few found the narrative and the jumping backwards and forwards somewhat difficult to understand. I think I could have coped with that if it had not been written in such jerky short sentences. The style is terse and, presumably deliberate, but it does not make for an easy reading experience. Also, it is written in the present tense which increases this jagged delivery. Books in the present tense are, on the whole, a no no for me but I find if I really enjoy a book this ceases to bother me. Sadly, this was not one of those and I will freely admit I gave up half way through.

Nicky Clarke Diamond Shine Pro Salon Styling Wand
Nicky Clarke Diamond Shine Pro Salon Styling Wand

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks good..............., 28 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A very glam looking product. Smooth and elegant. Unfortunately as it is so smooth and elegant it has no gripping quality whatsoever and feel that this product will only be useful to those with long hair so that you can wind it round the wand. I have shorter hair and was unable to use this as it slid all over the place and could only keep my hair wrapped round it by using a finger (not advisable as I now have a burned finger). My daughter, who has long hair, tried it and it was more efficient on her but even so she was not madly impressed.

Belkin BSV804 8 Way 2m Surge Protection Strip with 2 x 2.4A Shared USB Charging
Belkin BSV804 8 Way 2m Surge Protection Strip with 2 x 2.4A Shared USB Charging

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, 21 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
bit difficult to review a surge protector as it does what it does and have been very pleased with this. I have so many devices to plug in that it is a worry that the whole electric system might fuse but this takes that worry away. Eight sockets which is excellent and, best of all, two USB ports so that I can plug in my ipad and Kindle direct without having to use any adapter. At the moment I am only using four of the sockets but have no worries that I will have problems when I load up more which I am pretty sure I will do.

A Place for Us
A Place for Us
by Harriet Evans

5.0 out of 5 stars This author is getting better and better, 6 Dec. 2014
This review is from: A Place for Us (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I came across this author a few years ago when I borrowed one of her earlier books from the library and since then have read them all as I enjoyed them so much. At first I regarded them as rather chicklitty books, light and fluffy but that was all. However, I have found that her more recent books have much more depth and strength to them and she is getting better and better.

Martha Winter is nearing her 80th birthday and has invited her somewhat scattered and fractured family to a party at which she will 'make an announcement'. Intrigued and slightly fearful the family gather and then she reveals a secret which she has kept for years and which shatters them all. Obviously, I am saying nothing more as I do not wish to give anything away. The story reveals the lives of her son, daughter and siblings and their marriages and relationships and shifts between timelines and time changes, which I always enjoy as it is so interesting to hear the back story and alternate thoughts of the same event.

This is a terrific book and a great read and it very much reminds me at times of Rosamund Pilcher. And that, I can assure you, is a huge compliment. Due to be published in January 2015 so give yourself a New Year treat and order it.

TTfone Mercury 2 (TT200) Pay As You Go - Prepay - PAYG - Big Button Basic Senior Mobile Phone - Simple - with Dock (T-Mobile Pay as you go, Black)
Offered by TTsims/TTfone

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, 28 Nov. 2014
Purchased for an elderly relation who needs a phone but cannot cope with anything complicated. She keeps this by her bed resting on its base and she uses it like an ordinary land line phone if she needs it. The numbers are clear and as you press them a voice repeats the number you have pressed so you know you are right. Excellent value for money

"Good Housekeeping" Chocolates, Sweets and Toffees
"Good Housekeeping" Chocolates, Sweets and Toffees
by Good Housekeeping Institute

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 28 Nov. 2014
I recently tracked down a copy of this on Amazon as my original got lost years ago. I am intending to make some chocolates and sweets this Christmas and remembered how good this book was. I had a happy hour reading through it the other day and planning what I am going to make. The peppermint creams and coconut ice are particularly good if I remember rightly, and I am sure I do......

Le Toy Van Doll's House Family
Le Toy Van Doll's House Family

4.0 out of 5 stars Weird looking but popular, 28 Nov. 2014
My granddaughter had the Dolls House for her birthday so I purchased this family for her to go with it. She loves them but I have to say they look slightly weird! However, does not matter what I think and she and her sister sit for ages playing with them and the house so they are a great success

Bitdefender Total Security 2015 - 1 year - 3 users (PC)
Bitdefender Total Security 2015 - 1 year - 3 users (PC)
Offered by Esale Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Solved my problems, 28 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Always difficult to review a program like this until you have used it for a while but time constraints on the Vine reviews mean this has to be in within four weeks. However, I can say that within the short time I have been using it I am impressed. My laptop has recently been giving me problems with a browser I use obviously having been targeted with pop ups, adverts and also locked me out of various sites I use regularly saying they were unsafe etc. I have deleted and reloaded a more up to date browser but to no avail and was getting pretty desperate when Bitdefender arrived and I loaded it on.

It says that it downloads quickly but in my case it did not and I was beginning to wonder what was going on. It took about twenty minutes to scan my laptop before loading but once it did that it was a smooth operation. I then received a report of the result of the scan and I was staggered to see the amount of spyware, ads and viruses that it had sorted out. Since I have had Bitdefender all the problems I had have vanished and I am delighted.

Should mention that this package can be loaded onto three computers for a year which makes it excellent value for money. I have an old computer which I use now and then and have loaded this onto that one as well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20